What do you guys think about?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
onekick what were martial arts made for all those years ago? Fighting what is mma? Fighting with rules, regulations, judges and doctors. It's a civilised fight no more or less than boxing. At the end of the day martial arts is used for fighting you can learn all the peace and tranquility and spiritual well being that you like but good luck against some thug who wants to kill you. Lets see how you tranquility and spirituality helps you then

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the day I know a lot of very strict traditionalists hated mma when in first became popular because it made their art look mediocre so they used the thug or violent sport thing to discredit mma and make their art out to be /true/ martial arts. Which is nonsense everything has it's place in the world nothing's better or worse you're not better because you teach philosophy and they're not better because they fight hard. It's all for different tastes

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is really about opinion in the matter of the subject. I do agree with you and disagree as well.

So, it boils down to opinion, and you agree and disagree, but we are wrong because we don't agree with you? All righty, then

I just believe that todays MMA is a style and is limited. I don't mean to put the sport down as I enjoy it as well, but it has been brought to my attention that when you add rules to something it becomes a style.

What style/type of martial arts do you do that has no limits or rules? The regulations for MMA were put there for the safety of the fighters.

I do believe MMA should be called something entirely different and not MMA. When you watch the sport as a fan and not knowing anything about the arts you become a kid. I have seen many kids beating there brains out or claiming to know so called mma and you know what they don't know baloney about the sport.

So kids imitate what they see without knowing what they are doing? And this started with the UFC? Guessing you weren't around in the 70's with the beginning of the kung fu movie craze. I imagine before that era, kids imitated the cowboys from the big screen.

Why do these athletes fight in a cage? Is for the same reason you would or entirely different? Some people want to test themselves. Some people do full contact stick fighting, ala Dog Brothers. Others fight in a cage or a ring. All takes guts to step up.

When I mean limited I am referring to the rules in the cage. Here is a link to a set of rules set by the Association of Boxing Commissions. Here is the link: Mixed martial arts rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would you be happier if there were no rules? Again, what martial art do YOU do that has no rules?

But like I said it all boils down to opinion.

As long as we agree with yours.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boxing is a martial art. Jimmerson was a highly accomplished professional boxer, so he obviously spent many years of his life training martial arts to a high level.
lol.. come on. give me some wiggle room with the definition of Martial Arts lol.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol.. come on. give me some wiggle room with the definition of Martial Arts lol.
So what definition would you use? I'm not sure I can come up with a good definition which would include arts like BJJ and Jow Ga Kung Fu but would exclude Boxing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what definition would you use? I'm not sure I can come up with a good definition which would include arts like BJJ and Jow Ga Kung Fu but would exclude Boxing.
lets go with any art that doesn't include, kicking or throwing (not pushing). I can't think of any martial art that doesn't have kicking of some sort and throwing of some sort.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lets go with any art that doesn't include, kicking or throwing (not pushing). I can't think of any martial art that doesn't have kicking of some sort and throwing of some sort.

Except.....oh, I don't know.....boxing. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the kendo and iaido guys might have something to say about that. :)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Clearly no one understands my point after stating what I said. I said it many times again and again. Now I will take this one back and say yes MMA is martial art but it is a sport at the same time. Why should I call it a martial art when all you do is beat the living hell out of one another.
So, it's a martial art and a sport? But you shouldn't call it a martial art because its combat?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The UFC does promote it's own side of martial arts which is mostly the violence side. Kids watch this stuff and get the wrong impressions on what the so called martial arts is all about. I am clearly not coming back to this forum until you do your math

Aah, we need to save the children. Because before the UFC, no kid ever imitated a Bruce Lee or Sonny Chiba movie technique, with no understanding of what they were doing. And certainly no child has ever imitated Hulk Hogan or whoever the top wrestler of the day was. Considering how many of us bashed our heads with home made nunchucks in the 70's, it is surprising there is as much of the next generation of martial artists as there is.

The problem with threatening to not come back on a forum is like saying if you don't play fair, I'm taking my ball home. Except it's not your school yard. Or your ball.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the kendo and iaido guys might have something to say about that. :)
I thought about that at first but I'm assuming that if you have a weapon then there must be some kind of technique where grappling would be involved and if there was grappling then their might be some kind of throwing. If this is real footage then kendo would have kicking and throwing

I can only assume that iaido would have techniques that deal with someone grabbing the weapon or grabbing the arm to prevent the use of the sword.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just happen to have a copy of Street Fighter on my work desk right now. If only I could learn to rip a heart out of a rib cage;)
That's my secret technique when I have to fight more than 10 people at once. The first guy that attacks me gets to be the demo boy. lol

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, when I look back on my wasted childhood, one of my memories that always brings a smile to my face was watching my buddy Neil K attempt a flying side kick to an apartment door. Unfortunately for him, it was a hollow core door, so he kicked through it and ended up hanging on the outside of the door with most of his leg on the other side of the door. Not the way it worked in the movies. I should probably blame that on the UFC, even though it was in the 1970's.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i put it to you.

Mma due to the nature of its unforgiving competition/training and its sense of community is more spiritual than many martial arts styles that claim to be focused on that sort of thing.

you will find out more about yourself through adversity than you will from navel gazing.

images

Latest Discussions