What do you do if someone runs at you with punches?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If you are relying on your friends to jump in and throw head kicks at the guy on the ground in some sort of effort to save you.

You would want them to be pretty quick.
I don't think I like the video. It's probably because it's one of the things that shouldn't have happened if the kids were being taught with a self-defense focus. Even for small kids I would be telling them things like: "O.K. guys keep your hands up so no one can hit your head." "Don't do this and don't do that." "Doing this will get you in trouble." "Doing this will make it easy for someone to put you on the ground and beat you in the face."

Somewhere in their teaching, should have been the lesson of "This is how you approach your opponent." Clearly only one student got that memo and it wasn't the one that was laying on his back. Good news is that kid not only read the MEMO but he probably has it framed. Maybe one of those expensive wooden frames.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"This is how you approach your opponent."
How to enter safely is a major part of the MA training. IMO, you have to know exactly where your opponent's arms and leading leg are when you enter.

This come down to the "chasing hands" discussion. If you just chase our opponent's head (or body) and you don't chase where his hands are, his hands will give you problem.

If you punch my head, I'll get your legs. If you get my hands, I can't get your legs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think I like the video. It's probably because it's one of the things that shouldn't have happened if the kids were being taught with a self-defense focus. Even for small kids I would be telling them things like: "O.K. guys keep your hands up so no one can hit your head." "Don't do this and don't do that." "Doing this will get you in trouble." "Doing this will make it easy for someone to put you on the ground and beat you in the face."

Somewhere in their teaching, should have been the lesson of "This is how you approach your opponent." Clearly only one student got that memo and it wasn't the one that was laying on his back. Good news is that kid not only read the MEMO but he probably has it framed. Maybe one of those expensive wooden frames.

Dont be a duchebag to a better fighter is pretty much always taught in that manner.

If it was taught in a self defence focus the take down would never have worked because of imaginary downward elbows or something.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it was taught in a self defence focus the take down would never have worked because of imaginary downward elbows or something.
let me be rephrase that. If it was taught with a realistic self-defense focus.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ahh I got it now. Two leg shoot, driving takedown, front tackle from Rugby or Football. I gotcha.

Might look sorta like morote gari, but ain't. Morote-gari is classified as Te-waza for a reason, it's done with hands. Well, when done properly, it is. There is no shoulder drive into the belly and pounding drive witht he legs forcing the issue.

Problem is, Morote-gari is HARD to do right, so it almost always looks like a technically-correct tackle. I get it now. Yep, Drop, all of rugby would disagree.... or at least 99.89% because there may be 0.11% who do and know judo done correct. Still doesn't mean those dudes to a correct Morote-gari on the pitch, they blow the dude up, as well they should.
Hmmm.... page 55 Kodokan Judo Throwing techniques by Toshiro Daigo (Chief instructor at the Kodokan), one of 3 living 10th Dans "Tori holds the back of uke's legs from the outside with both hands. At the same time, he pushes uke's chest and abdomen with his right(left) shoulder while reaping him downwards towards the rear to throw him."

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... "while reaping him downwards towards the rear to throw him..."

... while reaping... being the operative term. We're probably not going to agree, so let's stop. I've been to clinics with Bob Rea, Gary Berliner, Ray Richards, all 7th dan and higher and these guys describe it the way I've described it above. I've been at other seminars with other folks who describe it as you did from Kodokan Judo above. Somebody is doing it wrong, but it depends on who you want to follow the logic of... Personally, I like it when a set of techniques follows a common set of principles applicable to all, but that's probably just me.

Latest Discussions