What do you call a black belt???

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you call a black belt, Master < last name > or Mister < last name > ? What's the protocol?

I call a black belt Mr. / Ms. <surname> - the same way I do any other rank, whether senior or junior, from white belt on up. Why would I expect students to address me more courteously than I address them?

The only exception is those practitioners VII and VIII Dan (Master) and IX Dan (Grand Master). Except for opening and closing ceremonies, no other titles are generally used; in opening and closing ceremonies, when students bow to the instructor, Sah Bum nim gae (face the honored instructor, bow) is used up through VI Dan; for VII and VIII Dan, Sah Hyum nim gae (face the honored master instructor, bow); for IX Dan, Sa Song nim gae (face the honored grand master instructor, bow). We also use Kwan Jang for our grand master, as he is the head of our kwan (family, group, whatever similar term you wish to use).

As has been mentioned in previous threads, Bu Sah Bum nim is a generic term for I-III Dan, but translates directly as assistant instructor. If a person is the instructor of a class, s/he is addressed as Sah Bum nim - not Bu Sah Bum nim - regardless of rank, because s/he is the instructor. If the person is an assistant to the instructor, then Bu Sah Bum nim may be used for bowing - but in general, with the exception of opening and closing ceremonies, all students below VII Dan are addressed as Mr. / Ms. <surname>.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some of students think our chief instructor is a diety though, when he demos a techniques on them they shout out in ectasy 'o o o g...o...d'. Some even call him jesus christ, usually with a sharp intake of breath as if they didn't believe it! Some are non believers though they just swear and use rude words. I don't know, you just don't get the students these days do you?

roflklita!

OP
L

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Name on the belt doesn't signify rank. But as Tez & Drac have pointed out, it helps you to remember your name. Here in the US, we're fond of putting stripes on our belts to denote rank. In Korea, this is not done nearly as often.Korean grandmasters often have belts that look like everyone else's. It's usually not easy to tell a master from a BB by looking at their belt. I'd suggest to just treat everyone with respect. That's a guaranteed win-win for everyone.

Of course I treat everyone with respect. I just want to make sure I'm not insulting anyone by referring to them improperly.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with Sir or Ma'am.

Funny story about names on the black belts - one time I was holding boards for rank testing for the kids and when the judge asked this one kid his name he had to look at his belt - he was probably about 10 - too cute! can you imagine being so nervous you forgot your name?!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course I treat everyone with respect. I just want to make sure I'm not insulting anyone by referring to them improperly.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't treat everyone with respect. Just to say that if people in MA generally appreciate the act of respect, even if you don't get their title correct.

When folks call me master, I generally correct them as I have a few more years for that. I have also referred to a few folks on MT as master when I know they are of that rank/title. Most of them correct me as they prefer to be less formal on these boards. I would not presume so if we were in uniform on the mat, however.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with Sir or Ma'am.

Funny story about names on the black belts - one time I was holding boards for rank testing for the kids and when the judge asked this one kid his name he had to look at his belt - he was probably about 10 - too cute! can you imagine being so nervous you forgot your name?!

Oh yes on several of my gradings!! usually after I'd thrown up from nerves lol! And I was in my forties!
When working with Americans I've always noticed that they use sir and ma'am a lot, it's a pleasant custom.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our TKD school all students are referredto as Mister/Misses (First Name). It has been that way as long as I have been there (14 years). If we have 2 students with the same name then we will use first and last or sometime Mister/Misses (First Name & Rank).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some of students think our chief instructor is a diety though, when he demos a techniques on them they shout out in ectasy 'o o o g...o...d'. Some even call him jesus christ, usually with a sharp intake of breath as if they didn't believe it! Some are non believers though they just swear and use rude words. I don't know, you just don't get the students these days do you?

lmfao!!!!!!!

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Really don't care what you call me...................................................

Just don't call me LATE FOR SUPPER!................

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use first name as long as I know them. I will use Sensei when adressing instructors at a camp and for guest instructors even if they are lower belts.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
after thinking about this thread for I while I realised that I call most black belts by their first name. A few I will address with a title but those few have been around a long, long time and are master rank or GM's.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In class, it's sir or ma'am. Outside of class, unless I know them personally, it's still sir or ma'am, especially if they're my senior in age.

If I know them, though, outside of class, I'll just use their name.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A black belt to me..

is a symbol and nothing more..

but its a symbol representing ones above and beyond attititude when participating in martial arts. It isn't just attending class for the required time...

its a collective of things. Ranging from time, skill, effort, motivation, maturity. When you receive your blackbelt there should be a noticable difference in you, and everything about you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you receive your blackbelt there should be a noticable difference in you, and everything about you.

Im in trouble then...I am basically the same person I was BEFORE donning getting my black belt..I am passionate about training and committed to being the best teacher I can be, but still finding time to crack a joke while teaching to make the whole experience more enjoyable for the students...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, Drac. My teacher and I try to screen people BEFORE they start learning with us. That way we can focus on the technical aspects of the martial art rather than having to teach morals or build character. Jutsu vs. Do. We do not wish to teach a "Do".

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree, Drac. My teacher and I try to screen people BEFORE they start learning with us. That way we can focus on the technical aspects of the martial art rather than having to teach morals or build character. Jutsu vs. Do. We do not wish to teach a "Do".
That is ridiculous...A huge part of the martial arts revolves around morals and character...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is ridiculous...A huge part of the martial arts revolves around morals and character...

Really? It may in the MA you have been exposed to. A few old systems still focus exclusively on the fighting aspects. They're certainly not as popular or easy to find however.

My teacher would smile at your comment and say "Get back to work".

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? It may in the MA you have been exposed to. A few old systems still focus exclusively on the fighting aspects. They're certainly not as popular or easy to find however.

My teacher would smile at your comment and say "Get back to work".
Well that is good for your "teacher", bad for the art. What ever happened to integrity...what ever happened to morality...why are people only concerned with fighting? MA should be used for nothing more than self-defense (or tournament/exhibition).