What do you call a black belt???

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My students call me Sir or Sabanim, I do not like the term Master or GrandMaster but will use it when referring to my elders. Which by the way are only because of stripe not because of years.:asian:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids call me, "Mr Nore." Adults call me, "Gord." I call my teachers, "Tony" and "John." We refer to each other as, "Mr" or "Ms" when the kids are present. The term, "Sensei," pops up only in reference to the two head instructors -- seldom as a term of address. Any visiting instructor would automatically be addressed more formally according to rank and style, unless s/he requests otherwise.

We do not use term of address, "Sensei," in strict Japanese fashion. Thus, "Sensei Foster," as opposed to "Foster, Sensei." We're not formal, but we are courteous. :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. In class I usually call him "Guru". Out of class or introducing him to others it's "Steve".

When we were teaching we went by our first names.

Other teachers are usually referred to by name. If they want to be referred to by some other title I tend to oblige out of courtesy. I say "tend to" because some people abuse it. Anyone who requires an ornate show of groveling respect, anyone with no gray in his beard who demands to be called "Master" or anyone at any age who wants to be called "Grand Master" will have to look somewhere else. I have enough trouble keeping a straight face.

Latest Discussions