Reaction score
385496_181484385274120_1292933732_n.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I think I linked that for Don a while back when we were discussing the "Two nations Separated by a Common Language" concept :D.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mind, this will be 'soft' Southerners, Northerners call a spade a spade even if you can't understand what they are actually saying due to accents! :) Ee by gum!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you would care to change the accent slightly, like add a bit of nasal twang, we would have identical meaning down here. :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my department we have two Brits, an Irishman, two Scots and an Aussie. The Americans in the office think we are talking in code.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my department we have two Brits, an Irishman, two Scots and an Aussie. The Americans in the office think we are talking in code.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Elementary my dear jezr. That's because you guys are speaking English! :asian:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez - thank you so much for this list!

I saved the image, and I'm printing it out to memorize these wonderfully polite phrases (oh yes I am). Gentlemen, I do believe that there is a reason why the author chose to put last column in pink :rtfm:

Last edited:
OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The phrases work extrmely well too when delivered in a cut glass English accent, they have a sort of chilling effect lol. I think that's why Hollywood chooses English actors ( not Scottish/Welsh/Irish) for it's baddies, they deliver lines with a dead pan face and perfect enunciation which leaves you smiling at first until it sinks in just those few seconds later.

I enjoy British understatement but I absolutely love Aussie understatement, I'm a big fan of the Aussie ( and NZ) reality tv series such as the one about Customs, the Bondi beach life savers ( masters of the deadpan understatement....'she's lying face down in the water, not a good look' roflmao) as well as the police ones. I'm a big fan of the NZ dog programme where the prison officer and his dog 'Ted' work, I love the officers pronounciation of 'Ted'.
I love too the total lack of panic these guys have.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We'll bear that in mind and act upon it accordingly should it become relevant in the future ... :angel:.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my expert opinion, this is actually a secret coded message from British Intelligence intended to help preserve the sanity of all men.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's the cockney rhyming slang that is completely incomprehensible to me. Whenever I hear the tired allegation that Americans don't speak the Queen's English, I laugh. In light of the domestic maiming of your language, the butchering done by Americans is mild by comparison. :)

$cockney1.jpg

$cockney2.jpg

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reminds me of this from the 60s.

F U N E X ?
S. V F X .
F U N E M ?
S. V F M .
M N X 4 2.

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the translator is drunk.

I fin' you're aw Mum and Dad. madder than Mum and Dad jack mcmad, the bloody maddest madman ever. seriously, you're 6s and 7s. but then again, if ya fancy a Bruce Lee bit of shaggin', I kna this Gooseberry Puddin'....but it'll cost ya a few pence, and ya might get the Cardboard Box.