American Marine Slams Brits, Claiming They Stink

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess one of the British soldiers turned down his advances lol. It's the military equivilant of when a girl turns down a guy he then says she must be a lesbian roflmao.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess one of the British soldiers turned down his advances lol. It's the military equivilant of when a girl turns down a guy he then says she must be a lesbian roflmao.

Well, I was just afraid that the UK might be running short on everything. Since they claim not to have enough helicopters, I was fearing that they had run short on soap as well. :rofl:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once you get past the "Oh no, he di'n't!" tone of the article, it's just one of those things you see any time different organizations with their own way of doing things have to work together. If he wasn't complaining about the Brits, he'd probably be writing a letter to the Air Force complaining that their hair is too long and they forget to say 'sir'.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just afraid that the UK might be running short on everything. Since they claim not to have enough helicopters, I was fearing that they had run short on soap as well. :rofl:

Well something stinks and I'd say it was the American's attitude which is not shared by the rest.
However when on patrol it's best not to wash and shave as fresh soap etc can be smelt and give your position away...as all good professional soldiers know.:)
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163405

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...dlyInjuredSoldierDirectsAmericanAirStrike.htm

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/red-flag.htm
"The words imply that the US-UK relationship is fraying. This is untrue as seen from the foxholes I am constantly in. I have embedded with numerous British units in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have seen combat with all of those units. Maybe five or so. The units included 2 Rifles, 4 Rifles, Queen's Royal Lancers, Duke of Lancaster's, 2 Para, and I believe perhaps a couple more though there was much going on and it’s difficult to remember.

What I can say, is that the significant combat I saw with British soldiers made me respect them more with each battle. Yes, it’s true their gear needs serious upgrading. The British government needs to spend billions to upgrade the hardware. But when it comes to the soldier, British soldiers are extremely well-trained, courageous and ready for a big firefight at the drop of a hat. Our brothers and sisters are vastly outnumbered at Helmand Province in Afghanistan. I think about them several times a day and am concerned that they might take serious losses this year."

As I have pointed out several times, it's our government letting us down thats the problem not the troops. Several of my students from the QRL ( who I posted about on Saturday) know this guy.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well something stinks and I'd say it was the American's attitude which is not shared by the rest.
However when on patrol it's best not to wash and shave as fresh soap etc can be smelt and give your position away...as all good professional soldiers know.:)

Yes, but when in the field, no one else can smell you, as we all stink equally. It's when one returns to garrison that one should consider the use of water and soap.

In any case, I was merely taking the mickey.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually I found the article to be depressing. That is the kind of rant that I have seen my team do when they are frustrated and feel like they keep hitting brick walls :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but when in the field, no one else can smell you, as we all stink equally. It's when one returns to garrison that one should consider the use of water and soap.

In any case, I was merely taking the mickey.

Oh yes the Brit soldiers certainly do wash up when they get back, they shower (special shower gels), they shampoo (and condition), they shave (chests too!), they use deodorant, hair gel, aftershave,moisturisers,toothpaste, mouthwash, they honestly take longer to get ready than women! No self respecting squaddie these days seems to be without a complete washbag of stuff you imagine women to have. If this American marine had a complaint I honestly would have thought it would be that the Brit lads take too much time up in the showers!
If we have to search rooms it takes half an hour to wade through their toiletries, makes you wonder sometimes!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, I suspect he was jealous of British soldiers ability to put on a great show...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could understand complaining about the French troops, but that's just the garlic and snail eclairs they have for lunch. ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooh! Ker-slappp! :D. Don't open that door, Bill :D. We've had far too many wars with and far too little gratitute from that particular neighbouring nation to be objective in our humour :).

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I suspect he was jealous of British soldiers ability to put on a great show...

"Say fellas! I hear we're about to lose Afghanistan! What the dickens can we do?"

*think think think*

"I know! We can put on a show!"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Say fellas! I hear we're about to lose Afghanistan! What the dickens can we do?"

*think think think*

"I know! We can put on a show!"

[yt]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCkFhafk26A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCkFhafk26A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/yt]

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could understand complaining about the French troops, but that's just the garlic and snail eclairs they have for lunch. ;)

I did develop an appreciation for Europeans who bathe while I was over there. The Worst body odor in Metros was in France -- Paris Metro at quitting time ... I'd stick mentholatum under my nose as with a cadaver. London was the next worst smelling tube cars (mix curry-tinged perspiration and beer sweat in with the standard butyric acid complex), then Bruxelles (the old Belgians who hadn't bathed since 1950-something were the worse).

I used to sit there on the train, wondering if anybody there had heard of deodorant.

Had a wonderful date with a lovely Waloon lass who couldn't understand why things hadn't progressed further than they did -- I didn't have the heart to tell her, she stank so bad I could barely breathe.

But at least she shaved her armpits, and had clean straight teeth. (another set of odd American peccadillo's).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did develop an appreciation for Europeans who bathe while I was over there. The Worst body odor in Metros was in France -- Paris Metro at quitting time ... I'd stick mentholatum under my nose as with a cadaver. London was the next worst smelling tube cars (mix curry-tinged perspiration and beer sweat in with the standard butyric acid complex), then Bruxelles (the old Belgians who hadn't bathed since 1950-something were the worse).

I used to sit there on the train, wondering if anybody there had heard of deodorant.

Had a wonderful date with a lovely Waloon lass who couldn't understand why things hadn't progressed further than they did -- I didn't have the heart to tell her, she stank so bad I could barely breathe.

But at least she shaved her armpits, and had clean straight teeth. (another set of odd American peccadillo's).

Don't forget it's all the tourists (and illegal immigrants lol) who use the Tube in London lol!
We live in the middle of Yorkshire Dales and we get city people coming up complaining about the the country air, good old cow muck and fresh air no car fumes or takeaway smells lol!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget it's all the tourists (and illegal immigrants lol) who use the Tube in London lol!
We live in the middle of Yorkshire Dales and we get city people coming up complaining about the the country air, good old cow muck and fresh air no car fumes or takeaway smells lol!

I relocated from the city to more agrarian climes recently. Spent the whole evening the other day looking for which show had the doggy gift on the bottom, so rich was the air.

Turns out -- someone on the hills we're down wind from fertilized. Until the rains hit well and solid, each evening breeze will be providing us with le eau de bovine.

Latest Discussions