American Marine Slams Brits, Claiming They Stink

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I relocated from the city to more agrarian climes recently. Spent the whole evening the other day looking for which show had the doggy gift on the bottom, so rich was the air.

Turns out -- someone on the hills we're down wind from fertilized. Until the rains hit well and solid, each evening breeze will be providing us with le eau de bovine.

In North Caroline, I lived not far from a hog abattoir. That is a smell I'd prefer not to endure again.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst we had was during the foot and mouth outbreak, they brought up portable furnaces to be placed on the army ranges to burn the carcasses of the animals which had been destroyed, not only did that smell but the wagons bringing the bodies through the garrison leaked and smelt awful too.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worst we had was during the foot and mouth outbreak, they brought up portable furnaces to be placed on the army ranges to burn the carcasses of the animals which had been destroyed, not only did that smell but the wagons bringing the bodies through the garrison leaked and smelt awful too.

Ah, chunder!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Don't be misled by the British tendency to be soft-spoken and polite. If they need to be, they can be plenty tough. The English language didn't spread across the oceans and over the mountains and jungles and swamps of the world because these people were panty-waists. "

"The British enjoy a democracy even more flexible and sensitive to the will of the people than our own."

And my personal favourite....

"A British woman officer or NCO can - and often does - give orders to a man private. The men obey smartly and know it is no shame. For British women have proven themselves in this way. They have stuck to their posts near burning ammunition dumps, delivered messages afoot after their motorcycles have been blasted from under them. They have pulled aviators from burning planes. They have died at their guns posts and as they fell another girl has stepped directly into the position and "carried on." There is not a single record in this war of any British woman in uniformed service quitting her post or failing in her duty under fire.
Now you understand why British soldiers respect the women in uniform. They have won the right to the utmost respect."

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

"Don't be misled by the British tendency to be soft-spoken and polite. If they need to be, they can be plenty tough. The English language didn't spread across the oceans and over the mountains and jungles and swamps of the world because these people were panty-waists. "

"The British enjoy a democracy even more flexible and sensitive to the will of the people than our own."

And my personal favourite....

"A British woman officer or NCO can - and often does - give orders to a man private. The men obey smartly and know it is no shame. For British women have proven themselves in this way. They have stuck to their posts near burning ammunition dumps, delivered messages afoot after their motorcycles have been blasted from under them. They have pulled aviators from burning planes. They have died at their guns posts and as they fell another girl has stepped directly into the position and "carried on." There is not a single record in this war of any British woman in uniformed service quitting her post or failing in her duty under fire.
Now you understand why British soldiers respect the women in uniform. They have won the right to the utmost respect."

I wouldn`ty mind seeing this as a sticky

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn`ty mind seeing this as a sticky

It's been re published in it's original form, it's a good piece of social history. Much of it's dated as you'd imagine such as the advice that while the Brits can't make coffee the Americans can't make tea so that makes us equal lol but it's an interesting read from a historians point of view and of some attitudes that have changed. The Americans arriving in the UK was a shock for both sides, for some Americans it was a pleasant shock as whereas they'd been segragated in America, in the UK they were treated as equal to the white people, that in it's self caused problems for the American military authoriites.
It's certainly an interesting read, there is also a companion one for American troops in Iraq in the Second World War where the Americans were encouraged to speak Arabic to the locals no matter how badly as the locals liked it.