Dry January

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brits generally drink too much alcohol (Seneca even made this observation of the ancient Britons). To rest their livers, some Brits have a ‘dry January‘ and abstain from alcohol for the month.

Has anyone tried this? Any observations or comments? Is there a similar thing in other countries?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least where I'm from there's no tradition of that. But if someone does drink too much, and questioning if they have an issue, I've dared them to try a dry month and see how it goes.

Some people struggle a lot with it. For a lot it ends up being more a social issue than anything-having to explain to people they just don't want to drink. Very similar to telling people you don't want to eat meat-the second (some) people find out, they make it their mission to 'break' you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Brits generally drink too much alcohol (Seneca even made this observation of the ancient Britons). To rest their livers, some Brits have a ‘dry January‘ and abstain from alcohol for the month.

Has anyone tried this? Any observations or comments? Is there a similar thing in other countries?
I've heard about this for the last few years, and just read this article a few days ago. Are you going to do it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of my coaches is only drinking water for 8 days.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard about this for the last few years, and just read this article a few days ago. Are you going to do it?

I don't drink alcohol so I'm on a 'dry life'!

I used to drink the odd beer on a hot day but stopped because I simply don't like the taste. I dislike wine (sour grape juice as Sheldon Cooper correctly calls it!). If someone offered me alcohol I'd have a few sips (except wine) but I just prefer tea, coffee and Ribena!

The BBC Radio 4 had a 'You and Yours' programme about Dry January and I was surprised at the number of at what are now referred as 'functioning alcoholics' that are at large. I realised that a significant number of my friends would fall into this category drinking about 10-14 units of alcohol in a 24 hour period. The laissez faire attitude to drinking too much alcohol is rife in the UK. It doesn't help that alcohol advertising and regulation in the UK is controlled by the 'Portman Group', a quango made up of distillery companies! Self-regulation is stupid!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why not.
it definitely has benefits.
If only that it resets your pallet.

there are 2 schools of alcohol consumption:
You have one drink, you are an alcoholic (so everybody who regularly drinks alcohol is an addict)
And of course, as long as you can hold on to one blade of grass and not fall off the earth, you are good.

And all the universe in between.
I think 'fasts' help us discover what our habits are. Be it too much alcohol, food, or other activities.
I think though it takes a bigger change in society, so we become more accepting of others.
Be it the decision to remain alcohol-free, meatless, etc (or deeper-reaching issues, like gender identity and preferred romantic partners. it isn't going to hurt me to adjust my speech pattern to preferred pronouns and chosen names)
More respect for our fellow man, not trying to convert them to be like us?

Although I have to say, it is not fun to be the only sober person among a bunch of drunks.
Like being the designated driver at our adult relatives' New years party, or coming 'off shift' at a Carnival party, when the other guests have a 2 hour head start (and having to drive home after)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am participating in dry January. I don’t drink much, but it’s good to take breaks from sugars of any kind.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't drink alcohol so I'm on a 'dry life'!

I used to drink the odd beer on a hot day but stopped because I simply don't like the taste. I dislike wine (sour grape juice as Sheldon Cooper correctly calls it!). If someone offered me alcohol I'd have a few sips (except wine) but I just prefer tea, coffee and Ribena!

The BBC Radio 4 had a 'You and Yours' programme about Dry January and I was surprised at the number of at what are now referred as 'functioning alcoholics' that are at large. I realised that a significant number of my friends would fall into this category drinking about 10-14 units of alcohol in a 24 hour period. The laissez faire attitude to drinking too much alcohol is rife in the UK. It doesn't help that alcohol advertising and regulation in the UK is controlled by the 'Portman Group', a quango made up of distillery companies! Self-regulation is stupid!
what’s the difference between a moderate drinker and a functioning alcohol?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A moderate drinker is someone who drinks a moderate amount (depending on the entity/diagnostic tool, what's moderate changes. at my old hospital for men it was up to (not including) drinking 2 drinks 4+ times a week, or sessions of 7+ at once.

Meanwhile a functional alcoholic isn't consistently defined the same way, but there's two 'layman definitions' that I've seen used the most. Both require that you can hold down a job/social relationships, but with the first definition it means that the person in question is always focusing on when they can drink next/thinking about drinking when they have to be sober, and the second definition is that while they drink sparingly enough they can function, when they do drink, they're still unable to stop until they blackout.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘The terms “high-functioning alcoholic” or “functional alcoholic” have been previously used to describe someone struggling with alcohol use disorder (AUD) while still being able to maintain a job, friendships, and family life.’ www.healthline.com

The BBC programme I listened to today said that according to hepatologists, there is now no safe level of alcohol consumption.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
‘The terms “high-functioning alcoholic” or “functional alcoholic” have been previously used to describe someone struggling with alcohol use disorder (AUD) while still being able to maintain a job, friendships, and family life.’ www.healthline.com
Makes sense.

The BBC programme I listened to today said that according to hepatologists, there is now no safe level of alcohol consumption.
these kinds of extreme claims seem a little ridiculous to me.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these kinds of extreme claims seem a little ridiculous to me.
Well, it’s like heavy metal exposure…no safe limit! I’m not referring to Iron Maiden, either.

The hepatologist who made this statement said that even he drank alcohol, fully understanding the risks.

Coincidently, I spent New Years eve with a hepatologist and his family (yes he was drinking). His team had just applied for a grant to fully study some preliminary findings of theirs: faecal transplants cure alcoholism!! Normalising the gut biome of alcoholics appears to positively affect their brains putting them of alcohol!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, it’s like heavy metal exposure…no safe limit! I’m not referring to Iron Maiden, either.
Really, though? Is it?
The hepatologist who made this statement said that even he drank alcohol, fully understanding the risks.
What are the risks, exactly? I’m a healthy, average human being and I have a kombucha. What’s the risk? To be clear, I’m not trying to argue with you. I think the hematologists you’re referencing are silly.

Coincidently, I spent New Years eve with a hepatologist and his family (yes he was drinking). His team had just applied for a grant to fully study some preliminary findings of theirs: faecal transplants cure alcoholism!! Normalising the gut biome of alcoholics appears to positively affect their brains putting them of alcohol!

I’m not surprised.

This seems apropos: 75E30892-9386-47E9-AB58-C02E4A4E9212.jpeg