Dry January

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it? It punishes me for eating it. Then it puts it in a form that allows it to quickly get rid of it. Even if the mind says "just wait" it will only wait for a few minutes after the initial warnings lol, then it's either the toilet or your pants. Which is why I only eat it at home. Guess which toilet is not a fun road game. I never want it to be the gas station lol.

Explosive diarrhea is probably better than explosive constipation.
Explosive constipation? Sounds potentially lethal.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it? It punishes me for eating it. Then it puts it in a form that allows it to quickly get rid of it. Even if the mind says "just wait" it will only wait for a few minutes after the initial warnings lol, then it's either the toilet or your pants. Which is why I only eat it at home. Guess which toilet is not a fun road game. I never want it to be the gas station lol.

I can remember seeing a kid using a bloated dead cow for a trampoline when I was little. A little gas would exit the cow on each jump and the kid would giggle every time. Morbid but innocent.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If brai
I can remember seeing a kid using a bloated dead cow for a trampoline when I was little. A little gas would exit the cow on each jump and the kid would giggle every time. Morbid but innocent.
Sounds like it needs to be either a t-shirt or a logo.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it? It punishes me for eating it.
Yeah but a really clever body, one that’s a graduate of ‘Oxbridge’ would stop you eating it in the first place. If it did the same thing with strychnine you’d be ‘brown bread’ (dead).
Then it puts it in a form that allows it to quickly get rid of it.
It damages your gut cells, destroying the tight junctions allowing fluid from your blood to flood you GI tract and cause diarrhoea!
Even if the mind says "just wait" it will only wait for a few minutes after the initial warnings lol, then it's either the toilet or your pants.
Do you have many friends…🤔…or even found love?
That answers my last question.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
😄🤣😂😅🤣 🤢

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think dry january is a cover up for that people spent all their money on useless xmas presents and new year festivities, so the drinking budget is empty. Why else january? Why not dry february?

Another health advice for january is to condition your body to cold! I personally practice this and I wear short sleeves all winter as long as it's not colder than 14F/-10C or if I have to be outdoors for hours. Shocking your body may be dangerous though and add cardiovasular stress that may trigger something. But it's like bare knuckle training, start slowly. I also consider it a MA excercise, there is a difference between "feeling cold" and "getting cold". Feeling cold is just like pain, it's only in your head. Tense your muscles and resist. I've done this for years.

"A new study suggests that shivering and bouts of moderate exercise are equally capable of stimulating the conversion of energy-storing ‘white fat’ into energy-burning ‘brown fat’. This makes brown fat a potential therapeutic target against obesity and diabetes."
-- Evidence that shivering and exercise may convert white fat to brown | Garvan Institute of Medical Research

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think dry january is a cover up for that people spent all their money on useless xmas presents and new year festivities, so the drinking budget is empty. Why else january? Why not dry february?
Because people have overindulged over Christmas and their livers need a much needed rest.
Another health advice for january is to condition your body to cold! I personally practice this and I wear short sleeves all winter as long as it's not colder than 14F/-10C or if I have to be outdoors for hours. Shocking your body may be dangerous though and add cardiovasular stress that may trigger something. But it's like bare knuckle training, start slowly. I also consider it a MA excercise, there is a difference between "feeling cold" and "getting cold". Feeling cold is just like pain, it's only in your head. Tense your muscles and resist. I've done this for years.
And as a consequence of your cold habit, are you really fit and healthy?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new mission in life is to see how many times I can turn the MT conversation into poop talk. My quest begins. :D
Your posts are usually poop so your goal has been fulfilled manyfold 😉😄
(I am just pulling your leg!)

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Because people have overindulged over Christmas and their livers need a much needed rest.
This probably correlates to their empty pockets :) I don't overindulge over Christmans anymore. I did more so when I was a kid, and my grandmother got upset and gave us all guilt if we didn't eat ALL the food and candy she spent ALL day cooking :pompus:
And as a consequence of your cold habit, are you really fit and healthy?
To with some confidence infer such a causal link from a single datapoint is not possible of course.

The reason I do this originates long before I read about those interesting papers and for me it's all about mental conditioning. Don't let superficial things like pain, or cold make your loose focus. I feels like when enduring the cold stress, your blood circulation is boosting and it toughens you mentally. I've been doing this since long before I started Karate. When I started kyokushing I realized that the mental conditional part is right up my alley.

I curiously read the about the cardiovasular possible benefits later, the vasoconstriction that happens during cold stress is in a way thought to exercise the cardiovascular system. Even "normal excersise" is dangerous if you go from 0 to 100% and are untrained.

But that said, I am healthy but wouldnt call myself "really fit", I'm not a physical sports guy. Karate is the exception to that rule. I don't drink much alcohol, I can get beer or wine along with matching food at time, but nothing else. I don't enjoy buzz, and like you, I dislike the places there people hang out and just drink. I also admit that I have never in my life been "drunk". I just don't like to loose control.

(I should have clarified, what my train of association to drinking and cold stress was: 15 years ago I made a deep dive into brewing science(beer), but it wasn't so much for the beer as it was for the insights into cell biology and the dynamics of complex systems(unlike those studied in physics which is where i come from). A beer and wine fermentation means the cells grow and consume sugars under anaerobic conditions, and one if the "limiting factors" that cause premature fermentation is the quality of the cellmembrane. On each division compounds that require oxygne to make are depleted. But if the cells that you pitchin into the medium, are prepared under colde than normal conditions with oxygen, their cell membranes are "supercharged" with these critical compounds, ergosterol and usaturated fatty acids. The reason for this is that the cells respond with adapting the properties of the cellmembrane to survive the cold stress. It was interesting at the time)

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This probably correlates to their empty pockets :) I don't overindulge over Christmans anymore. I did more so when I was a kid, and my grandmother got upset and gave us all guilt if we didn't eat ALL the food and candy she spent ALL day cooking :pompus:

To with some confidence infer such a causal link from a single datapoint is not possible of course.
The evidence for the benefits of cold water immersion is scant. It’s good for mood probably because you‘re glad to get out of the cold water and the unpleasantness of it releases endorphins.
The reason I do this originates long before I read about those interesting papers and for me it's all about mental conditioning. Don't let superficial things like pain, or cold make your loose focus.
When might this be useful? Pain is not a superficial stimulus but the most primal. The is ischemic pain produced by cold water immersion is profound.
I feels like when enduring the cold stress, your blood circulation is boosting
Diastolic blood pressure increases as skin vessels constrict. If you have any (unknown) cardiac condition, this is not a good thing!
and it toughens you mentally.
Forcing myself to do mental arithmetic/clean the drains/sort out my wardrobes does that too!😀
I've been doing this since long before I started Karate. When I started kyokushing I realized that the mental conditional part is right up my alley.

I curiously read the about the cardiovasular possible benefits later, the vasoconstriction that happens during cold stress is in a way thought to exercise the cardiovascular system. Even "normal excersise" is dangerous if you go from 0 to 100% and are untrained.
Mike Tipton is the cold water immersion expert in the U.K. at any rate.

I think cold water immersion is a bit of a (macho) health fad. It may have some seemingly positive effects, but these are swamped by being, say slightly overweight/poor sleep patterns/drinking alcohol/having an unvaried diet. Addressing any of these will be far more beneficial than swimming in the cold sea!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

The reason I do this originates long before I read about those interesting papers and for me it's all about mental conditioning. Don't let superficial things like pain, or cold make your loose focus. I feels like when enduring the cold stress, your blood circulation is boosting and it toughens you mentally. I've been doing this since long before I started Karate. When I started kyokushing I realized that the mental conditional part is right up my alley.

But that said, I am healthy but wouldnt call myself "really fit", I'm not a physical sports guy. Karate is the exception to that rule. I don't drink much alcohol, I can get beer or wine along with matching food at time, but nothing else. I don't enjoy buzz, and like you, I dislike the places there people hang out and just drink. I also admit that I have never in my life been "drunk". I just don't like to loose control.

(I should have clarified, what my train of association to drinking and cold stress was: 15 years ago I made a deep dive into brewing science(beer), but it wasn't so much for the beer as it was for the insights into cell biology and the dynamics of complex systems(unlike those studied in physics which is where i come from). A beer and wine fermentation means the cells grow and consume sugars under anaerobic conditions, and one if the "limiting factors" that cause premature fermentation is the quality of the cellmembrane. On each division compounds that require oxygne to make are depleted. But if the cells that you pitchin into the medium, are prepared under colde than normal conditions with oxygen, their cell membranes are "supercharged" with these critical compounds, ergosterol and usaturated fatty acids. The reason for this is that the cells respond with adapting the properties of the cellmembrane to survive the cold stress. It was interesting at the time)
This is interesting now.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The evidence for the benefits of cold water immersion is scant. It’s good for mood probably because you‘re glad to get out of the cold water and the unpleasantness of it releases endorphins.

When might this be useful? Pain is not a superficial stimulus but the most primal. The is ischemic pain produced by cold water immersion is profound.
I think the brain warns us rightfully, but often very early, so we give up too early (to save energy etc). In fighting getting hit is a bit painful, and may get you to loose focus and instead end up catching a more fatal attack. But a little bit of pain is not dangerous, so the idea is to not react to moderate pain.

For example, in kyokushin it is commong to NOT block the non-fatal attacks, you focus on avoding head kicks and similarly KO attackes. Getting punch in the chest is painful, but if you start blocking them to avoid the moderate pain, the risk of getting kicked in the head the second after is higher.

So part of fighting is to learn eat the "small stings", focus on the important things such as attacking and defending from fatal attacks.

We are also instructed that in a fight you rarely get one kick or one strike, but a flood of them. So avoiding getting hit is practically impossible (unless you back down or run away, but kyokushing spirit is - don't back down), so therefore the priority is to avoid fatal strikes and learn to eat the weak ones. Sure you will get sore the days after but not every day is combat.

Same mental training can apply to other things, the general case beeing to keep mental focus in despite of MODERATE disturbances, pain, cold etc. That your KNOW is annoying but not dangerous. But your evolved response still tells you it
s bad. So override the natural reactions, when going into "combat mode", without getting "angry" and go on just adrenaline.

Our instructors often says that when your body tells you tou stop, due to fatigue or pain, you have at least 50% more to give. Over course overriding the warning signals of your body, is only for special situations and the brain will instead decide. But I like to practive it whenever i can.

Diastolic blood pressure increases as skin vessels constrict. If you have any (unknown) cardiac condition, this is not a good thing!

Forcing myself to do mental arithmetic/clean the drains/sort out my wardrobes does that too!😀

Mike Tipton is the cold water immersion expert in the U.K. at any rate.

I think cold water immersion is a bit of a (macho) health fad. It may have some seemingly positive effects,
I don't practive cold water immersion or winter baths, that is a stronger shock than what I practice. Its not the shock itself that is good, its suppsedly the bodys adaptive response that makes the benefits. I am talking about getting ourdoors without winter clothing. This is not near as painful as I imagine jumping into the frozen sea. Cold water would also cool you down much faster than cold air (unless its very windy).

but these are swamped by being, say slightly overweight/poor sleep patterns/drinking alcohol/having an unvaried diet. Addressing any of these will be far more beneficial than swimming in the cold sea!
Fully agreed on this! nothing I said should be read as a reason for drinking.