What Belt Are You?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you. Point being, it is impolite to ask someone their rank. Their manners and way of talking and conducting themselves will speak for them. It is acceptable to ask someone how long they've practiced, and draw inferences from that. Now, if they tell you what rank they are, that's their perogative. I prefer to let people guess personally.:uhyeah:
If someone is a color belt and asks, I chalk it up to inexperience.

I thought that since this is a martial arts forum that it was acceptable to share one's rank if asked, that's all.

However, outside of this, I certainly don't go around telling people what my current rank or experience is, let alone that I'm a martial artist at all. The only people that know that I practice the MAs are my immediate family or my few closest friends. Outside of the dojang, MartialTalk is pretty much the only other place that I talk or type about the MAs.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan Black in Tae Kwon Do and a white belt in numerous styles (always wanting to learn more).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a black belt! Or at least, I know my duty belt is black... Even our sheriff's deputies here have moved away from brown...

LOL..I didn't think about it that way..I NEVER like the brown rigs...We almost had to sedate a visiting Master at one seminar who find out that I didn't hold a Dan ranking yet made some of his students look like white belts..When someone explained to him that I'd in and around MA since the Early 80's he felt a little beter..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
We almost had to sedate a visiting Master at one seminar who find out that I didn't hold a Dan ranking yet made some of his students look like white belts..

[FONT=&quot] Drac, don't know you personally but have read enough of your stuff to know you're the real deal. When the stuff goes down, the pretty belts are useless (and probably at home, anyway!) :highfive: [/FONT]My four martial mentors growing up never even strapped on a white belt, but most men went around them on the street--and those few who didn't paid the price.

When someone explained to him that I'd in and around MA since the Early 80's he felt a little beter..
[FONT=&quot] Good. Wouldn't want his world rocked. ;)[/FONT]

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey! The belts are very useful in a fight. Take a garrison belt, replace the buckle with a 3/8" thick piece of brass with a peg through it. Wrap it around your fist until about a foot (with the buckle) is sticking out. That will bring the ones that don't usually come. Or there's the one I'm working on. Braided leather with wire woven into the braid. Hook and knob instead of a buckle. I guarantee that when the bugs are worked out it will be great when the fewmets hit the windmill. And they'll look pretty, too :D

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What belt are you, and what do you practice? I just became a blue-green belt, and I study Shaolin Kenpo.

I am a 15th dan midnight clear 100% cotton belt in Supreme Ha Soke Ryu Do...well not really I am an Eedan in the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan, I have been in the arts for 14 years...
--Josh

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought that since this is a martial arts forum that it was acceptable to share one's rank if asked, that's all.

However, outside of this, I certainly don't go around telling people what my current rank or experience is, let alone that I'm a martial artist at all. The only people that know that I practice the MAs are my immediate family or my few closest friends. Outside of the dojang, MartialTalk is pretty much the only other place that I talk or type about the MAs.

This is basically where I stand on this subject. I started TKD in the early '80s. bounced around the world a little. on the way I've taken some Aikido, three different styles of TKD, Karate, and wrestling. TKD is my favorite. Right now I'm a brown belt. I'm learning Palgue 7 now. (WTF) I started out in an ITF school got up to 2nd grade. (Red belt). I was in a school that taught Teaguk forms but I have since forgot them. I've been around TKD for 25 years and I still don't have a Black Belt. (yes I know it's pothetic) I've sparred many black belts that have kicked my butt, and I've kicked some BB's butt too. rank isn't a concern to me. I still wear my oricinal white belt when I work out on my own. It's pretty dirty. Someday that belt will be black. When I'm asked about my belt I simply tell them I got a little dirt on my white belt.

Kenzan

White Belt
Reaction score
Kendo Mudansha.
Which equates to: El Ranko De Zilcho. :D
Have been studying for a year and a half roughly.
I should have my first Kyu test in October.
At our Dojo, we test once per year, and the ranks go like this:

Ranking
The ranking of kendo is divided into kyu and dan. The beginners start at 10th kyu and rise in rank to 1st kyu. The dan starts with shodan and goes to 10th dan. Originally, dan ended at 5th dan, and continued as renshi, kyoshi and hanshi but, in 1957, it was modified to extend to 10th dan although the honorary titles were also retained. This move was due to the demand to make the ranking system of kendo correspond to that of judo. However, the duality of honarary titles and the revised ranking system created problems. The hanshi was the highest one could achieve in personal character, leadership, and kendo skills. Some feels that it is inconsistent to have 8th dan hanshi, and still have higher ranks of 9th dan and 10th dan. In fact, no 10th dan has been awards in the past 30 years, and it does not appear that a candidate will likely appear in the near future.
There is a waiting period for the dan award. It is one year between the 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd dan. Two years are required between 3rd an 4th dan. It is three years between 4th and 5th dan. Four years are needed between 5th and 6th dan. Five years must pass between 6th and 7th dan and 10 years are spent between 7th and 8th dan. The honorary titles are given to the specially qualified candidates in the following categories. The renshi title can be given to the 5th dan holders who are older than 40 years old or 6th dan holders. The kyoshi title is iven to the 7th dan holders. The hanshi title may be given to 7th dan holders who are over 70 years old and who have been kyoshi for 20 years or 8th dan who have been kyoshi for 20 years and receive the unaimous consent of the board.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't get offended if someone asks my rank, never have (although sometimes I'm sheepish because I'm a slow-poke hehe). I never had an embroidered belt until 3rd degree when my instructor bought one and made me wear it ;p.
4th now. 22 years of TKD, 16 or so in LM Escrima, a year of Tai Chi, and a ton of fun in Wing Chun. Oh, and I like guns ;p. (hey, they're martial ;p).

Welcome TNV, and don't feel bad about asking ranks, I wouldn't sweat it one bit. Although I tend to not ask high ranks the question, I don't see it on the level of asking someone how much they make or anything that would be considered incorrect. It all depends on the way it's put forth I suppose.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never met anyone that was offended by asking their rank. I asked my jujitsu instructor what his rank was and he was happy to tell me (5th dan), PLUS his history in small circle jujitsu! Mind you, it took a while LOL.

I am a 1st gup TKD (WTF). White belt jujitsu. I also made it to 4th gup in TSD at one time.

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't usually tell people my rank unless they ask me first. Now, I do hold a 2nd degree BB in Teoul Moon Kung Fu...since you asked :)