Wesley Snipes running from the law?

roymark

White Belt
Reaction score
Then the case could drag on endlessly denting his image and further burdening tax payers. It's been awhile since Wesley put out a big movie so he might not have the greenbacks for a prolonged case.
Got the Total Gym gig though so maybe the backing of Chuck 'the IRS pays taxes to Chuck' Norris might help

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that whole 16th amendment thing has been brought up before, there are several average every day citizens that know enough about it to be able to legally argue it in court. However, we're not talking about a fair game of checkers or chess here, this is the government, and the government has been known to break their own rules or make up new ones.

I've heard of a few people actually winning the 16th amendment argument in court, but you have to remember, if you win, your no longer eligible to receive certain benefits that tax payers do.

I hope Mr. Snipes did blow the lid off this thing though, it needed to be addressed and dealt with once and for all. I'm not necessarily saying I want to pay taxes, but I do understand the need for taxes in our government and what they are used for. I think the only thing I fear out of all that tax talk is that if he does win, there will be a major shift from tax paying citizens to non-taxed citizens which could upset the economy, our government programs, and eventually our foreign relations.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that whole 16th amendment thing has been brought up before, there are several average every day citizens that know enough about it to be able to legally argue it in court. However, we're not talking about a fair game of checkers or chess here, this is the government, and the government has been known to break their own rules or make up new ones.

I've heard of a few people actually winning the 16th amendment argument in court, but you have to remember, if you win, your no longer eligible to receive certain benefits that tax payers do.

I hope Mr. Snipes did blow the lid off this thing though, it needed to be addressed and dealt with once and for all. I'm not necessarily saying I want to pay taxes, but I do understand the need for taxes in our government and what they are used for. I think the only thing I fear out of all that tax talk is that if he does win, there will be a major shift from tax paying citizens to non-taxed citizens which could upset the economy, our government programs, and eventually our foreign relations.

Maybe if the U.S. Gov't didn't rely so much on taxes, they'd think a little more about the choices they made, the money they spent, international policy, foreign aid to countries that don't need it, the wars they've committed us to, etc.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does this mean no more "Blade" movies for a while at least.

Depends on what his legal costs were... it actually might well mean two or more a year, if he had a high-enough-priced defense team... and I'd be willing to bet he did.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
he tried claiming he was an alien and didn't owe taxes; the jury still convicted him on 3 of the counts - he owes somewhere in the neighborhood of 38 million dollars and could do a year in jail.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
he tried claiming he was an alien and didn't owe taxes; the jury still convicted him on 3 of the counts - he owes somewhere in the neighborhood of 38 million dollars and could do a year in jail.

That clinches it. Keep an eye out for Blade 4, 5, 6... 15.... all coming to your Cineplex theatre this summer! :lol:

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That clinches it. Keep an eye out for Blade 4, 5, 6... 15.... all coming to your Cineplex theatre this summer! :lol:
I hear the shooting location will be soledad prison.
icon10.gif

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my understanding is that last Wednesday he was convicted of 3 counts of failing to file income tax returns... each count worth up to 1 year in prison... but that they found him not guilty on the evasion charges and tax fraud charges.... if true I am willing to bet he ends up doing about 2 years in a medium security institution.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wesley Snipes jailed for 3 years in tax case

A "very sorry" Wesley Snipes, star of the "Blade" movies, was sentenced to three years in prison on Thursday for willfully failing to file U.S. income tax returns for 1999 through 2001.

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor counts. U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges handed down the maximum sentence and said he felt it was important to create a general deterrent against tax defiance.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm disapointed in Snipes. I've always been a big fan of his. I feel he's always carried himself with class and dignity. He has represented the martial arts community well as an entertainer.

I think taxes are excessive and I don't like paying them but it beats spending my time working out in prison. It's an obligation we have whether we like it or not.

Like I said...I'm disapointed in Snipes.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess owing about 50 million dollars in back taxes and before the trial telling them " i don't have to pay taxes"... you get the max.. so he does 3 years in a prison.. who knows may end up being maximum security as he is a known martial artist... either way in the federal system i understand you do the whole 3 years..........

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He will appeal all the way to the Supreme Court and they will finally stop the IRS's illegal practices and stop this unconsitutional income tax.

Wouldn't that be sweet!

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If his personal convictions for 'his cause' were so strong, why did he cave in and pay 5 million before sentencing? Disapointing I tell ya...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If his personal convictions for 'his cause' were so strong, why did he cave in and pay 5 million before sentencing? Disapointing I tell ya...

I'm going to guess, because his lawyer said it would help.