Joe Son, AKA "Random Task" in Austin Powers Movie

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure where to even put this. Movies? Horror Stories? MMA?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/10/autopsy-shows-wasco-inmate-beaten-to-death.html

A Wasco State Prison inmate found dead in his cell earlier this week was beaten to death, according to a report from the Kern County coroner's office released Wednesday.

Prison officials have said the suspect in the killing of Michael Thomas Graham is his cellmate, Joseph Hyungmin Son, 40, a former part-time actor who had a role in the 1997 film "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery." Son also had a brief career as a mixed martial arts fighter.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...rdering-cellmate/story-e6frf7jx-1226164571911

AUSTIN Powers actor and former mixed martial artist Joseph Hyungmin Son, who was sentenced to life in prison for torturing a woman, is suspected in the murder of his cellmate.

Son, who played Random Task - a parody of James Bond villain Oddjob - in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, was found guilty of felony torture on August 25 and sentenced to life in Wasco State Prison in central California, E! Online says.

Son's 50-year-old cellmate, whose identity was not released, was found dead at 5.50pm local time on Monday. He was serving a two-year sentence for failing to register as a sex offender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Son

Joseph Hyungmin Son (born November 22, 1970) is a retired mixed martial arts fighter and manager as well as an actor known for his role in the 1997 blockbuster movie, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, as Random Task, a parody of the James Bond character Oddjob.[1] Son has also appeared in several other movies, including Bloodfist V: Human Target.[2] He is currently serving life in prison after being convicted of torture in connection with a 1990 gang rape.

Wow, is all I can say...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been reading about this on Bullshido. Crazy story. Dude sounds like a genuine scumbag.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His MMA record is 0-4 from 1994-2002 so not really much of a fighter but MMA will be blamed by some I expect. The fact he's just a ... well insert your own adjectives as it would come out all asterisks if I wrote what I thought. though I expect the dead cellmate probably wasn't a lot better, still what goes around...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if they were just trying to have an MMA Bout in the Cell, and none of the Guards wanted to Ref? Silly buggers :p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see? He had four MMA bouts donkeys years ago but that's all people want to think about him, an MMA thug. He was also a kickboxer so perhaps it was a kickboxing bout.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's prison, the only guarantee is that somewhere someone was yelling "let's get it on!"

Jon-Bhoy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IIRC Joe Son was in the earliest UFC bouts before the rules changed. He was on the receiving end of Keith Hackney's repeated groin punches, when they were still allowed. That was one of those fights, that you will never forget..later he came back as Kimo's manager..they would carry crosses into the ring etc..great theatrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC Joe Son was in the earliest UFC bouts before the rules changed. He was on the receiving end of Keith Hackney's repeated groin punches, when they were still allowed. That was one of those fights, that you will never forget..later he came back as Kimo's manager..they would carry crosses into the ring etc..great theatrics.

A great fuss over such a little thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions