Are entertainers waking up to high taxation?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A British singer is complaining about the high tax rate in England. With U2 and the Rolling Stones and the various other American and British entertainment tax dodgers, is there an enlightenment about to occur?

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270471/adele-vs-taxes-charles-c-johnson

From the article:

In the meantime, Adele isn’t pleased. Her first album, 19, released in 2008, sold 2.2 million copies by mid-July — and then the tax bill came due. Now she’s“mortified” to pay half her income in tax, and told Q Magazine:

I use the NHS, I can’t use public transport any more, doing what I do, I went to state school . . . ! Trains are always late, most state schools are s[***], and I’ve gotta give you like 4 million quid, are you ’avin a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from 19, I was ready to go ’n’ buy a gun and randomly open fire...

By off-handedly criticizing the implicit purpose of Leviathan — higher and higher taxes with little to show for it — Adele is a danger to the public-sector spendthrifts. If you lose the glitterati, the jig is up. No less than Oprah, the doyenne of celebrity, confessed to Piers Morgan in January that she finds filing taxes painful. Her accountants bring her the forms — and her tequila. Not surprisingly, Oprah, who backed Obama in 2008, has declined to endorse him for 2012.

If Adele finds her taxes too high, she can always come to America, where taxes, at least for celebrities, have long seemed optional. The IRS most recently hit rapper DMX with a tax lien in May. Actor Wesley Snipes didn’t even file from 1999 to 2004, and as a result is currently serving a three-year prison sentence. Another rapper, Lil Wayne, owes taxes from 2004, 2005, and 2007. And singer and actress Dionne Warwick, according to the LA Times, owes $2.2 million in back taxes.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What enlightenment, the revelation that somebody bitches about their taxes? Well, whoop-ti-do.

One reason that British (or Canadian, for that matter) is is vastly better than the US system is that a lot of our tax dollars go somewhere to try to help benefit the little guy, be it health-care or whatever (competence, on the other hand, is another issue).

In the US, it goes to benefit corporations. What a fracked up system.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're waking up to nothing. They will continue to advocate for high taxes and public services while doing all in their power to reduce their own obligation. And Al Gore will continue to live in a mansion and fly on a private jet while urging the rest of us to reduce our "carbon footprint". Adele is new on the scene. Once she has hired a savvy tax attorney and has secured her fortune, she will adopt the same fashionable politics as Bono and company.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
They're waking up to nothing. They will continue to advocate for high taxes and public services while doing all in their power to reduce their own obligation. And Al Gore will continue to live in a mansion and fly on a private jet while urging the rest of us to reduce our "carbon footprint". Adele is new on the scene. Once she has hired a savvy tax attorney and has secured her fortune, she will adopt the same fashionable politics as Bono and company.

I have said it in many other threads.

The Rich Keep getting Richer and the Poor, Poorer.

Once someone has true wealth, they will never have to worry about money again.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no reason for taxes. Simply put, if you're paying high taxes, somewhere the governments gotten bloated, and is either paying too many do nothings, too much in bloated pricing for substandard work, or both.
There are alternate funding means for civic projects, and if not, maybe those projects aren't that important after all.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no reason for taxes. Simply put, if you're paying high taxes, somewhere the governments gotten bloated, and is either paying too many do nothings, too much in bloated pricing for substandard work, or both.
There are alternate funding means for civic projects, and if not, maybe those projects aren't that important after all.

I myself am tired of funding wars that I don't want fought.

I'm catholic, and I don't give money to the church, unless I know it going to the church I go to ONLY. I don't want to fund the pay offs from the child abuse cases...I feel that they should sweat it out themselves.

Same with the Government...They wanna go and fight all these wars that I don't agree with...I shouldn't have to give them my money to do that.

Latest Discussions