Weird Eye Thing

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok, Ok, I'm taking you're advice. I called my eye doc, of course the office it closed for the day, so I left a message. They will be in tomorrow morning. I was at the doctor last week for a sinus infection, my blood pressure was taken at that time, it was a little high, but nothing outrageous, and because I wasn't feeling Iwell, I had forgotten to take my medication that morning (it's the first time EVER that I've forgotten to take it), so I don't think it's my blood pressure.

Thank you to those of you who PM'd and emailed me. I promise I'll get it checked out asap and keep you posted. :asian:

Glad to hear it, please let us know how it goes.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, mine was a result of a brain stroke. I had the same effect (like a flash) in my left eye, sharp pain, and temporary blindness for a few minutes. Fortunately, the stroke was very minor and did not physically disable me elsewhere, but this did require follow up monitoring with a neurologist and three brain MRIs in two years. They did find a cluster of inflammation spots in my brain, but since I have not had a similar incident (stroke) again, they decided I didn't need to be checked so often with MRI.

Now it has been five years since....

Jade, go get checked to rule this out. I really hope that yours isn't a sign of impeding stroke.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, mine was a result of a brain stroke. I had the same effect (like a flash) in my left eye, sharp pain, and temporary blindness for a few minutes. Fortunately, the stroke was very minor and did not physically disable me elsewhere, but this did require follow up monitoring with a neurologist and three brain MRIs in two years. They did find a cluster of inflammation spots in my brain, but since I have not had a similar incident (stroke) again, they decided I didn't need to be checked so often with MRI.

Now it has been five years since....

Jade, go get checked to rule this out. I really hope that yours isn't a sign of impeding stroke.

- Ceicei

What she said!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had similar a few years back. Optical special effects, no pain, went to a doc and was told it was an "optical/ocular migraine".

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pam,

as has been stated before, my Migraines have caused similar disurbances since I was a kid. You need to get checked tho, because after my wreck, the Doc told me to watch for that kind of thing as a sign of retinal detachment.

i thought long and hard what could be done to tackle the pressure. aside from the typical medical advice of watching diet and bloodpressure, i came up with the idea that the pressure could be relieved by certain breathing exercises. by actually feeling where the pressure is and trying to relocate it or distribute it.

And I know its a bit off topic but I wanted to address this quote. I saw a device that supposedly "corrected" Hypertension by causing you to regulate your breathing, they claimed 10 minutes a day of use would fix you right up for the day. I thought to myself, what a load of crap, the things people will try and sell you... sveral days later i saw a newsblurb about it, and according to teh article the Mayo clinic has supposedly tested the device and it is now considered a non-pharmacutical remedy for hypertension, so you really may be on to somthing with that idea.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The eye doc called me yesterday morning but I missed the call...they wanted to see me right away, she said it could be retinal detachment. But, the office already closed by the time I woke up. So, I'll call tomorrow and get over there after work. I hope it's no big deal. I'll have to look up ocular migraines.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The eye doc called me yesterday morning but I missed the call...they wanted to see me right away, she said it could be retinal detachment. But, the office already closed by the time I woke up. So, I'll call tomorrow and get over there after work. I hope it's no big deal. I'll have to look up ocular migraines.

Please keep us posted

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Good luck Pam. We're here for you!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, just got home from the eye doc...diagnosed as ocular migraines. Glad it wasn't anything serious as she said the symptoms are the same as a detached retina. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, just got home from the eye doc...diagnosed as ocular migraines. Glad it wasn't anything serious as she said the symptoms are the same as a detached retina. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

I'm glad everything is alright and hope you don't get any more of those.

Did the doctor say it was related to the stress caused from someone else using your license plate?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That's a relief.

I am, as strange as this may sound; glad to hear it's an ocular migraine.

Thanks for letting us know

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Did the doctor say it was related to the stress caused from someone else using your license plate?

I too am glad it wasn't something more serious. But I'm thinking it's related to that damn motorcycle certification class...
icon10.gif

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

QUI-GON said:
I too am glad it wasn't something more serious. But I'm thinking it's related to that damn motorcycle certification class...
icon10.gif

:lfao:

That has GOT to be it!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank G-d it was nothing more serious. Good on you for going in and checking.

kalikg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Say, did the eye doc say what factors could cause these things? I experienced similar probs twice in my forty+ years; mine started with the flash and then it was like I was looking through shattered/cracked glass with pretty colors twinkling here and there. I thought it was strange because it remained in the same area in my field of vision no matter which eye I looked through. It was damned annoying; couldn't focus on my work in front of me. Anyway, this only happened to me when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona. Never before and never since. So, did the doc mention if environmental factors could be to blame?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

By the way...good job going to the doc and getting checked out; smart!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You all had me worried! Then when I called the doc they're like...get in here right away...so I was freaking a bit. But just a bit. :p Glad I didn't need a glass eye! lol

Anyone know what causes this? I've heard that the same triggers that cause migraines cause ocular migraines. I'm chalking it up to stress.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assuming that the ocular migraine follows the same morphology of the, for want of a better term. 'regular' migraine, then sadly there is no easy answer to your question.

'Triggers' vary from person to person and also mutate for that person too. For example, at one time, it was eggs, of all things that were a trigger for me (one of several).

All you can do is be vigilant and aware so that you can start to draw up a list of 'suspects'. In general terms, things that cause a spike in either blood pressure or blood sugar are likely candidates. General atmospheric pressure changes can play a role too but there's not a lot we can do about those :D.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
You all had me worried! Then when I called the doc they're like...get in here right away...so I was freaking a bit. But just a bit. :p Glad I didn't need a glass eye! lol

Anyone know what causes this? I've heard that the same triggers that cause migraines cause ocular migraines. I'm chalking it up to stress.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it turned out to be.

You've had enough stress lately to make that a very strong possibility.

Hug a kitty. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

A Migraine for me is caused by 1 of 2 things, stress and certain light frequency, think fluorescent bulb going bad and you are close