Weird Eye Thing

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This has happened to me twice in the last 2 - 2 1/2 months, with the second one being yesterday at work. All of sudden there is like a flash, and then my vision is like I just had a flash picture taken, with the spots thing so you can't see well. The spots have a bit of prism color around them and it lasts for about a half hour then goes away. I'm pretty sure it was in my left eye, but it's hard to tell for sure. Any ideas what this could be from?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do think that different physical states can cause such phenomenon...i have experienced something like lights that seem to come from nowhere while in darkness. i feel it is coming from the training.

however, i far as i know and im not a doctor, disturbance of vision is usually taken quite seriously in the medical realm. this is because there could be something disturbing the optical nerves like chemicals or a tumor or other types of unusual brainactivity. i should actually research this more before posting.
halfanhour is a long time...seeing spots, are you sure you don't just have lowblood pressure or something? is you place well ventilated? maybe you are suffering from lack of vitamin a. in which case you should eat carrots. because there is a condition of being nightblind. this is probably not everything, but can't hurt to mention.

if you experience this directly after training it might be the training.
for example, ever since i messed around with certain things, i get this darthvadersyndrome when i swim very much or run very hard. i can hear my own breathing really loud, and when i talk it is like i am shouting into my own ear so loud that it disturbs my speech.

j

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My guess would be that it is either a blood-pressure issue or something related to migraines.

I get a very strange visual disturbance when I have a migraine episode approaching in that the centre of my visual sphere gets very bright and shifting, like layers of cracked ice wheeling around with an intense light behind them. It becomes impossible to do anything because I essentially can't see what I look at - tho' it is very pretty :lol:.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes i was going to mention that as well. i only recently understood the connections, as a good friend of mine suffers from highbloodpressure that cause him extreme pressure in his eyes and headaches. he even had external problems of itchy eyes for reasons that are still not 100% clear to me, though i gather it is related. after visiting the doctor, an ointment treated the itchy flared up eyes.

i thought long and hard what could be done to tackle the pressure. aside from the typical medical advice of watching diet and bloodpressure, i came up with the idea that the pressure could be relieved by certain breathing exercises. by actually feeling where the pressure is and trying to relocate it or distribute it.

when i was in elementaryschool, there was this girl that could make her face turn red. i was absolutely amazed by this as i initially thought she was actually changing the pigment of her skin like the chameleons i would always chase after in the bush. i pleaded her to demonstrate her skills and after some brief trembling of her head, her face began to turn red. i think then i realized that it was the blood that was doing it. i was still pretty amazed and practiced and showed my mom, who then scared me so bad by telling me i could die from doing it. i really did almost stop, however, when training, doing handstands,weightlifting etc, essentially something similar is taking place.

j

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My guess would be that it is either a blood-pressure issue or something related to migraines.

I get a very strange visual disturbance when I have a migraine episode approaching in that the centre of my visual sphere gets very bright and shifting, like layers of cracked ice wheeling around with an intense light behind them. It becomes impossible to do anything because I essentially can't see what I look at - tho' it is very pretty :lol:.

Nice (well, almost) to meet a fellow sufferer of these annoying migraines. I have pretty much the same thing, though mine is like the vertical hold on a TV set breaking - same bright lights. Happily, I get very few since my first wife left - not a cure, I realize, that is viable for all!

Pam - even I, the premier medical chicken on this Forum, finally went for a full eye exam yesterday. Even though the large majority of things are minor - what price piece of mind? A friend of mine even got 2 of the dreaded diagnoses - yet, caught early, there's been no progression at all in 8 years. Get some reassurance and lose the worry (which may be a cuse). So get thee to a doctor.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very fine advice there, grydth - you're quite right that similarity of symptom is no guarantee of similarity of cause and getting qualified medical reassurance is important.

I know what you mean about meeting someone else afflcited with the evil that is migraine :). Comparing notes over the years has revealed that it's a very complex array of 'brain storms' all neatly wrapped up under one simple banner :lol:.

For me, what caused a dramatic reduction in their frequency was giving up smoking. A further amelioration showed up when I settled down with my missus - her ability to make me laugh when I'm stressed or enraged is obviously very valuable (and makes up for the occaisions when she drives me mad :D).

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's very weird and very annoying. I don't get migraines, I have high blood pressure which is controlled with medication. But I don't want to go to the eye doc!!!! *said in whiney voice* :p

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's very weird and very annoying. I don't get migraines, I have high blood pressure which is controlled with medication. But I don't want to go to the eye doc!!!! *said in whiney voice* :p

Hey there Pammy. :)

My migraines for years were without pain.

I know that sounds stupid. But I had visual disturbances for a few years and went to the doctor about them and she said they were classic migraines without the pain. It stayed like that for a long time until about two months ago when I was in the pharmacy picking up a prescription and the visual disturbance happened, however, about five minutes later it started feeling like someone was piercing a knife through my right eye. It hurt so much I couldn't drive home and was vomiting before my husband got there. The damn thing lasted all night long.

It was terrible. I haven't had another one since, and I never wanna. Ever.

With your high blood pressure, get to the doctor and check things out. Better safe then sorry.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey there Pammy. :)

My migraines for years were without pain.

I know that sounds stupid. But I had visual disturbances for a few years and went to the doctor about them and she said they were classic migraines without the pain. It stayed like that for a long time until about two months ago when I was in the pharmacy picking up a prescription and the visual disturbance happened, however, about five minutes later it started feeling like someone was piercing a knife through my right eye. It hurt so much I couldn't drive home and was vomiting before my husband got there. The damn thing lasted all night long.

It was terrible. I haven't had another one since, and I never wanna. Ever.

With your high blood pressure, get to the doctor and check things out. Better safe then sorry.
I agree. Stuff like that is nothing to play around with. Have a check and be sure

B

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow Jade! I just had that happen a couple days ago. I had a big sweeping curve of pulsating colors. It started above my line of vision just to the right of center and swept over to the left, down, and back to the right at the lower right boundary of my vision. It happened just as I got back to work from lunch and lasted 20 minutes or so. I didn't get a headache with it, but I almost gave myself a headache trying to google the symptoms and read the search results with a big blind spot of multihued fireworks. I've had little spots of this before off to the side of my vision, but never anything so large and sweeping.

I thought it had something to do with going from the bright outdoors into the darken indoors. But, I have been kind of stressed out at work too. Maybe my blood pressure is up too? I got a nose bleed for no apparent reason yesterday. I think I need a few days away from work.

I agree with Surekin, it was pretty. Mine was a vibrant plasma dragon wrapping itself around my field of vision.

Let use know if you find anything more about it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our bodies can react to stress in strange ways. But better see a doctor to be safe. Or maybe a good massage.
icon7.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This has happened to me twice in the last 2 - 2 1/2 months, with the second one being yesterday at work. All of sudden there is like a flash, and then my vision is like I just had a flash picture taken, with the spots thing so you can't see well. The spots have a bit of prism color around them and it lasts for about a half hour then goes away. I'm pretty sure it was in my left eye, but it's hard to tell for sure. Any ideas what this could be from?
You've had a persisting & repeating visual distortion...

It could be anything from a massive case of floaters to detaching retina to brain problems.

Please, go to the doctor! Let someone who has the expertise & training make sure that it's nothing, rather than find out in 6 months when you go blind that it wasn't!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jade, your vision and possibly your health are at serious risk. If you can not see the doctor this afternoon make an appointment for Monday. It could be a number of things that could cause blindness. And if it's some of the others you could be talking about much worse consequences.

Go immediately. This is not a joke. Days could make a real difference.

Yes. I'm trying to scare you. You should be concerned.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then you'll end up like Master Po from the TV show Kung Fu. You'll be blind (maybe)... Go see the eye doc, go see the eye doc, go see the eye doc!

Don't want anything to happen to those pretty peepers of yours.
How else are you gonna keep up on MT eh?
Nuff said.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, Ok, I'm taking you're advice. I called my eye doc, of course the office it closed for the day, so I left a message. They will be in tomorrow morning. I was at the doctor last week for a sinus infection, my blood pressure was taken at that time, it was a little high, but nothing outrageous, and because I wasn't feeling Iwell, I had forgotten to take my medication that morning (it's the first time EVER that I've forgotten to take it), so I don't think it's my blood pressure.

Thank you to those of you who PM'd and emailed me. I promise I'll get it checked out asap and keep you posted. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This thing is total badass:

http://symptoms.webmd.com/

It's the WebMD symptoms checker. It may take a little time to load depending on your op system, but it's worth it. When I put in your symptoms, btw, I got back Ocular Migraine or Migraine. You might want to put in your own info in better detail to be sure, though.

This doesn't replace going to the Doc, but it might help steer you in the right direction...

C.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with the majority - I'm glad to hear you're going to see an eye doctor; remember that often, the anticipation is lots worse than the diagnosis. Please let us know what the eye doctor says.

Latest Discussions