Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=66665

I once had a few make up artists ticked off with me because I asked to use my own mascara (they were all using 1 tube of mascara, same brush, for a pretty large group of models). Apparently half of the girls ended up with an eye infection. It was a pretty big event, about 40+ models.
I got pinkeye after a shoot because of a MUA using a mascara wand straight of the tube. After 20 years on this earth, after having nearly every common childhood disease I got frickin pink eye from a "professional." To say the least, it's unpleasant.

I shall now tell my friend's tale of woe:

Back in the early 80's my friend was a makeup artist in N.Y. and I guess hygiene wasn't a huge issue then. She was working in Macy's (at the counter) and decided to use a (counter) pencil in the inside (waterline) of her eye. She told me that she never used the counter cosmetics, but she was going out that night and wanted to amp her makeup up.

-Flash forward 2 weeks- her eye was red and itchy and she thought, "Oh, must have gotten pink eye from that eye pencil".

Then her iris started to turn milky (which she thought was cool looking) and during the course of the year she started to lose vision in her eye. Turns out that the eye pencil that she used was used as a lip pencil. By a person who had a cold sore. And that she had herpes in her eyeball.

She ended up getting a cornea transplant.

Also
http://www.nbc5i.com/health/4442676/detail.html
CINCINNATI -- A dab of eyeshadow and a swipe of lipstick may be giving you more than a pretty face. The creepy-crawlies found in cosmetic counters might make some women think twice about sampling makeup.

Kelly White, like many women, has always done the same thing when walking past a makeup counter, reported WLWT-TV in Cincinnati.

"Before, I would have never thought about it," White said. "(I) would have just gone ahead and used it."

There are so many choices, so many colors, and the only way to choose the right one is to test it out. But when shoppers bring home that perfect shade of lipstick, could they also be getting something a shade worse?

WLWT took an undercover camera into area department stores and took swabs of counter samples of lipstick mascara and eyeshadow.

Dr. Hazel Barton and her medical microbiology class at Northern Kentucky University took the samples and tested them. They found potentially dangerous microbes growing rampantly on the samples. The tests showed a staph infection was growing on the makeup.

"It's indicating it's staphoris. It's a skin pathogen that can make you sick," Barton said.

So ladies, (and guys), when dealing with make up at the mall, be aware of what it may contain. If you get your makeup done by a supposed professional, be aware of the hygiene aspects and be sure they are using good practices.

- clean brushes
- no double dipping
- no reuse of lashes
- no licking, sucking, blowing
- proper hand sanitation.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about not using an makeup at all?

Many men (most if you talk in private) seem to prefer women who don't use makeup. I'm proud to say that my wife never even owned makeup.

Latest Discussions