Weapons

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what point does your school bring weapopns into play? Which weapons are offord and why those particular ones?

What would be the one weapon you would love to learn that is not being tought at your school?

Do you or your instructor bring in special people to teach them?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is not a weapon requirement until green belt (considered "skilled" level.) The weapon is sticks because I view it as a practical thing to learn and I also have a backround in it. Bo staff and knife are introduced at Brown Belt.
Weapons may appear in classes at earlier stages but are not required learning until the levels mentioned.
I teach the weapons to the instructor staff and we both teach the students.
I like students to have a base in emptyhand before getting too deep into weapons.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weapons are not required for us. The school has a separate Kumdo program and some of the black belt club classes are for weapons training. I avoid the weapons classes, I can injure myself with a spoon so anything more dangerous would be bad news.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we start weapons at blue belt. Basically we do chucks at blue, sword at red and bo at brown. It isn't really enough to get really good at any of them, but enough that the student understands the basics and can decide which weapon they want to pursue. Most Black Belts pick one that they really want to get good at.
Bo is my favorite, so that is the one I spend the most time "playing with" but I think it would be fun to learn a fan form if I ever had the chance.
My instructor teaches all the weapons, which he learned (and continues to learn) from his instructor.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't teach weapons use - but we do introduce weapons defense, beginning with staff blocks, at blue belt.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't teach weapons. But, like Kacey, I do teach weapon defense.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
None, except for weapons defense. Part of the intrique of forms is explaining how they apply to weapons self defense.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
No weapons teachniques, as we're an ITF school.

I've learned some weapons defenses, but I've always been intrigued by the defenses against a bayonet which are found in Gen. Choi's encyclopedia. The 1972 version of the text book has the attacker dressed in military fatigues attacking a Taekwon-Doin with a rifle with attached bayonet. Various slashes, stabs and strikes with the rifle butt are defended against. Interesting stuff.

Pax,

Chris

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
We start learning staff techniques and forms at 9th Gup level. There are 9 staff forms in Chayon-Ryu. Five of those are classical staff forms created by other Masters. (Number 1 - not sure who created it, Number 2 - created by Grandmaster Kim Soo, Number 3 - created by Yoon Byung-in, Number 4 - created by Yoon Kwe-byung(Yoon Ui-byung), Number 5 - created by Cha Bu Chang). In addition, there are 4 bayonette forms that Grandmaster Kim Soo developed while an instructor in the Korean Army in the late 1950's and early 60's.

R. McLain

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We start learning staff techniques and forms at 9th Gup level. There are 9 staff forms in Chayon-Ryu. Five of those are classical staff forms created by other Masters. (Number 1 - not sure who created it, Number 2 - created by Grandmaster Kim Soo, Number 3 - created by Yoon Byung-in, Number 4 - created by Yoon Kwe-byung(Yoon Ui-byung), Number 5 - created by Cha Bu Chang). In addition, there are 4 bayonette forms that Grandmaster Kim Soo developed while an instructor in the Korean Army in the late 1950's and early 60's.

R. McLain

I would like to see those bayonette form one day, I bet they are very fluid in motion.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have a weapons requirement in Hapkido, but I believe that that is somewhere above third geub. Our taekwondo class has no weapons requirement at all; you want weapons? Take kumdo. I'd like to see weapons, but being a second dan kumdoin, I already get my weapons fix.:D

Daniel

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Weapons in our school are usually offered in optional seminars. I know they have had bo staff and nunchuks in the time I have been here, not sure what else may or may not have been taught.

We also learn weapons defense from I believe blue belt and upwards including knife defenses.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
in My TAE KWON DO school we dont pratice weapons at all. I guess the head instructer decided to not make them a part of the class. the first and only time we break a board is our black belt test.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My hands and feet I always have with me. Weapons demonstrations, though interesting to watch, strike me as a bit impractical. Other than a pistol, which I don't have a permit for (now anyway), I really don't see the need for most of the weapons out there. They are impractical to carry, and you certainly can't go to your car to retrieve one in case there is trouble. I'll stick with the weapons I was born with.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
in My TAE KWON DO school we dont pratice weapons at all. I guess the head instructer decided to not make them a part of the class. the first and only time we break a board is our black belt test.

Not to go too far afield in this thread, but the comment about the first and only time you do breaking is during your BB test really surprised me. Do you break at each dan level test or only for 1st dan? Also, do you ever do breaks for demonstrations?

Pax,

Chris

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have Bo forms required at 1st gup and at student black.

I dont like them. TKD is a weaponless art, as far as I am concerned.

We do have club and knife defenses learned at brown belt level.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to go too far afield in this thread, but the comment about the first and only time you do breaking is during your BB test really surprised me. Do you break at each dan level test or only for 1st dan? Also, do you ever do breaks for demonstrations?

Pax,

Chris

yeah we break boards during our black belt test and every dan test after that. and when we do demos the black belts break boards