What weapons are Taekwondo?

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about Taekwondo but it could be the same as in Capoeira. Before, capoeristas would stick blades inbetween their toes and make their kicks literally lethal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Taekwondo but it could be the same as in Capoeira. Before, capoeristas would stick blades inbetween their toes and make their kicks literally lethal.

Sorry, what? You're claiming you can grip a blade with your toes strongly enough to hold onto it during a kick?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, what? You're claiming you can grip a blade with your toes strongly enough to hold onto it during a kick?

Yeah, I've seen those claims too, and I strongly doubt them...

One story I heard was that groups of capoeiristas would head parades in the carnival and when these groups met would fight, using the blades held between their toes.

A more believable account is that capoeira players on board ships would tape or bind knives to their feet.

Another possible method was to stitch razor blades into the ends of the scarf.

There are also the much more dull versions - they simply carried knives hidden in their clothing and used them by hand in conjunction with kicks.

I've had the pleasure of working with a couple of Brazilian players, and while they had extremely impressive thighs they seemed sceptical about the toe grip ;)

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to teach bo by using basic poomsae with the weapon in the hands. It’s been many years since I’ve done it, though. I wouldn’t really consider it part of Taekwondo. I used it as a fun supplement for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those claims too, and I strongly doubt them...

And did you know that a katana will chop the barrel off a rifle?

One story I heard was that groups of capoeiristas would head parades in the carnival and when these groups met would fight, using the blades held between their toes.

What did they do after they chopped the crap out of their toes?

A more believable account is that capoeira players on board ships would tape or bind knives to their feet.

Also ridiculous. Go tie knives to your feet. Now try to walk around. Now try to actually fight. Don't forget to do it on a floor that's moving up and down and side to side. And is slippery too.

Another possible method was to stitch razor blades into the ends of the scarf.

Which isn't really going to do anything either, since there's now no possible way to control the blade, and it's far more likely to hit flat than edge on.

There are also the much more dull versions - they simply carried knives hidden in their clothing and used them by hand in conjunction with kicks.

Dull... I see what you did there.
At least this is believable.

I've had the pleasure of working with a couple of Brazilian players, and while they had extremely impressive thighs they seemed sceptical about the toe grip ;)

And early TKD practitioners (you know, the ones a few hundred years before TKD existed...) used to leap over polearms wielded by horsemen and kick them off the horse?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to teach bo by using basic poomsae with the weapon in the hands. It’s been many years since I’ve done it, though. I wouldn’t really consider it part of Taekwondo. I used it as a fun supplement for kids.

This isn't entirely unreasonable, depending on the weapon and strikes being used. Straight punches can become stabs rather easily. And it's not a terribly difficult stretch to see some of them as smacks with a club, either.
But as you say, it's a diversion, not really something that would be considered TKD.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also ridiculous. Go tie knives to your feet. Now try to walk around. Now try to actually fight. Don't forget to do it on a floor that's moving up and down and side to side. And is slippery too.

Put the knife on top of your foot, not under it...

Like, don't stand on it.

If you must stand on it, make the handle shaped like a sandal, or maybe remove the handle and shove the tang into a cut in the sole of your shoe.

It's much more within the realms of possibility than gripping a bare blade 'twixt your toesies...

Which isn't really going to do anything either, since there's now no possible way to control the blade, and it's far more likely to hit flat than edge on.

Put a couple in there (or a bunch of random sharp bits). Nothing heavy though.

Then, don't use it like you would a bludgeon, but give it a twirl and a nice locker room towel whip.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
What did they do after they chopped the crap out of their toes?

I forgot to finish the paragraph this response was aimed at.

Please mentally attach the following:

Like that's going to happen, even if you can grip the blade while walking, running and 'dancing' without losing a toe, there's not going to be much of an edge left after being ground into a road surface.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sod it, I'll just split my posts up :D

And early TKD practitioners (you know, the ones a few hundred years before TKD existed...) used to leap over polearms wielded by horsemen and kick them off the horse?

That's entirely believable.

I understand they learned the skill at weekend seminars held by the Chinese masters who could leap between mountain peaks.

Obviously a weekend isn't long enough to develop real mountain hopping, but an armed mounted soldier is easy.

The people who stayed for the Sunday evening session of the seminar could deal with 5 horsemen in a single jump.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Put the knife on top of your foot, not under it...

Then your foot doesn't flex, which makes walking rather difficult. And fighting even more so.

If you must stand on it, make the handle shaped like a sandal, or maybe remove the handle and shove the tang into a cut in the sole of your shoe.

Still pure silliness. "Just a minute, don't kick me in the face while I kneel and stuff this tang into my shoe..."

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you must stand on it, make the handle shaped like a sandal, or maybe remove the handle and shove the tang into a cut in the sole of your shoe....

Or better still, wear slippers that look like sharks, and put laser beams on their heads. :D

next-time-just-go-sharks-laser-beams-heads.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still pure silliness. "Just a minute, don't kick me in the face while I kneel and stuff this tang into my shoe..."

According to the source (not me, some historian) it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, more like challenge matches.

So there wasn't much walking around to be concerned about.

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
You like to ridicule, but I don't see you actually showing valuable evidence or present experience that you know better. It's like me saying:
"The Samurai wore sandals? Ridiculous. Put on Sandals. Try to walk. Now try to fight." Go research your stuff before you ridicule. You seem to know nothing about Capoeira simply looking at your comments. Do you even know what a berimbau is? That's fine! Because I don't care and I don't like to ridicule those who may know less.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You like to ridicule, but I don't see you actually showing valuable evidence or present experience that you know better. It's like me saying:
"The Samurai wore sandals? Ridiculous. Put on Sandals. Try to walk. Now try to fight." Go research your stuff before you ridicule. You seem to know nothing about Capoeira simply looking at your comments. Do you even know what a berimbau is? That's fine! Because I don't care and I don't like to ridicule those who may know less.
I was an obsessive capoeirista for a number of years, and was a “graduated student” (kind of analogous to a shodan, perhaps) in the ABADA affiliated school in San Francisco under Mestranda Marcia Cigarra, who in turn was a student of Mestre Camisa in Rio de Janiero.

While I have not researched the razor-in-the-toes issue, it is my personal opinion that it is a myth.

If one is barefoot, I cannot imagine how to grasp a folding straight razor, nor a naked blade, between the toes without seriously disrupting one’s ability to move effectively and/or seriously cutting ones own foot with the blade. Nor can I imagine how to otherwise attach the item to the foot without the same problems.

If one is wearing shoes, I likewise cannot imagine how to attach the razor to the shoe without disrupting movement and stepping, or simply damaging the blade from walking on it or something.

Having spent a lot of hours and years training in capoeira, I find the notion to be very impractical.

I am also an advocate of the notion that capoeira played in the roda is different from capoeira done for fighting, and both of these as they exist today are different from the capoeira of 200 years ago. People can be surprisingly creative when it comes to tools, but nevertheless I am skeptical about the razor bit.

That is my personal opinion, based on my years in capoeira.

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
Nvm guys I was wrong. My mestre just informed me they were in the SHOES not inbetween toes.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nvm guys I was wrong. My mestre just informed me they were in the SHOES not inbetween toes.
Did he say how they attached the razor to the shoe?

I personally suspect that a folding straight razor would have been accessible, but it would have been held and wielded in the hand.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You like to ridicule, but I don't see you actually showing valuable evidence or present experience that you know better.

There's lots of urban myth around, and lots of silliness claimed.

It's like me saying:
"The Samurai wore sandals? Ridiculous. Put on Sandals. Try to walk. Now try to fight."

Kid, if you can't see the difference between walking and fighting in sandals (which are, after all, designed for exactly this purpose) and walking or fighting while clenching blades between your toes, then you're quite possibly irredeemably deluded.

Go research your stuff before you ridicule.

What makes you think I haven't?

You seem to know nothing about Capoeira simply looking at your comments. Do you even know what a berimbau is? That's fine! Because I don't care and I don't like to ridicule those who may know less.

In fact I do. And I also know the difference between reality and fanciful myths (which pretty much all arts have, to a greater or lesser degree).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the source (not me, some historian) it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, more like challenge matches.

So there wasn't much walking around to be concerned about.

Because fighting is sooooo much easier than walking. :)