to weapon or not to weapon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering in your TKD school do you have weapon class and if so what weapons and poomsae do you teach with each weapon? How many classes a week involve some sort of weapon training?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering in your TKD school do you have weapon class and if so what weapons and poomsae do you teach with each weapon? How many classes a week involve some sort of weapon training?

When you reach brown belt in my school, our instructor starts working on the use of Arnis sticks and some of the basic forms. I've only just really started with him on it and we're doing the basic form---starting in a fighting stance, and moving forward to strike successively to shoulders, elbows, solar plexus, knees, temple and top of head.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have worked a little escrima after the formal adult class. I am with Exile on this, it absolutlely has to be an upper ranking belt. I am a brown first formally in Judo so I met the requirement. We, the adults, were told that a sword, tonfa, escrima, knife, etc is nothing but and extension of your hand. So the fact the strikes like knife and ridge hand strikes were the optimal.

In hapkido cane is part of the blue belt cirriculum.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have worked a little escrima after the formal adult class. I am with Exile on this, it absolutlely has to be an upper ranking belt. I am a brown first formally in Judo so I met the requirement. We, the adults, were told that a sword, tonfa, escrima, knife, etc is nothing but and extension of your hand. So the fact the strikes like knife and ridge hand strikes were the optimal.

In hapkido cane is part of the blue belt cirriculum.

The MSK hapkido cane techniques employ the cane (a straight walking-stick version, roughly 40 inches long) as a lever to enhance wrist locks.

I practice, on my own, strikes using the same cane, but they are not part of the formal curriculum, at least not at my ranking.

Matt's TKD instructor, GM Charles Hildebrand, has some very nice techniques for using the crook of a standard cane he showed us during a convention. Very nice stuff.

I think I prefer a straight cane though.

My favorite weapon, again, something I practice on my own outside of class, are the escrima sticks.

I am also beginning to like the bokken very much (which ended up being Musashi's favorite weapon in his latter years :))

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
None in my TKD school or in the TKD classes I teach. I do, however, have an Okinawan Kobudo class that I offer. Mostly the Chito-ryu classes take this one.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Students begin learning their first staff form (Bong Hyung Il Chol) at 9th Gup Orange Belt in Chayon-Ryu.

R. McLain

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
We add Largo Mano Escrima, stick fighting seems to be very popular as an addition to TKD.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I don't teach them in my curiculum. I've had only a limited amount of exposure to them & it wasn't something I enjoyed. I would like to train w/ a cane at some point, however.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see where alot of folks teach weapons but at a certain level anyone ever teach weapons to just anybody that wanted to but not join a class

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We used to have 2 weapons classes a week with the Bo being the major weapon of choice we have cut back to one due to an increase in students and a need for more basic classes. As part of my next belt test I have to create my own weapons form.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Tae Kwon Do has traditionally been a bare hands/bare feet style. We do learn weapons defense though, either incorporating poomsae technique or as self defense training.
The exception has been the fact that our Grandmaster studied kendo while in Korea and has taught sword technique to the very senior students. He does not incorporate that into the general TKD curriculum however.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score

We do bo (two self-stylized forms), escrima sticks (two self-stylized forms), nunchucka (one self-stylized form) and three kung-fu broad sword forms (one is based on yo-guk - single sword, two others are self-stylized - one is single sword and the other is double sword).

We have a black belt weapons class once a week, but usually several students get together after class two or three times a week to practice the forms.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since I'm an opinionated cuss, I've always had heartburn (for lack of a better discription), with training to use a weapon, for two reasons. 1). In many states, if not all, you can't carry any of the weapons folks train with in the arts, so if it's not available in a situation on the street, then honestly - what good is it? OK, I realize that lots of things can be made into an available weapon, but this brings me to number two.......2) If you use a weapon in an altercation, you will be subject to incarceration. Folks will offer that it was used in self defense and that may lend itself to a certain amount of justification, but only if the attacker was also armed. If you use a weapon against an unarmed threat, especially if you took it away from the attacker, you will find yourself behind bars. So again, I offer, what good is it? Train against weapons, that's great, that should mandatory for any art, but train to use a weapon, in combat (military/police excluded) your only asking for a world of trouble to befall you. Use that training time for better applications of your unarmed defense's.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A point my Instructor repeatedly emphasized. If you carry a weapon or use one, you're going to jail. If there is trouble, you can't very well ask for a minute to run home or to your car to fetch your nuchucks or sword or staff now can you? But your hands and feet you always have with you, and they're not illegal.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see where alot of folks teach weapons but at a certain level anyone ever teach weapons to just anybody that wanted to but not join a class

I will if they really have a deep desire to learn them as a stand alone. It si fairly rare that I will let someone. If they do want to learn weapons alone I prefer that they have some type of training from somewhere. If they do not it makes it take a little longer.

Weapons are supposed to be an extension of one's body. If they don't know how to use their own body how can they use an extension of it?

Latest Discussions