Does you TKD school teach weapons?

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not unless some of it (chuan-fa) influenced the staff form Yoon Byung-in created. I never heard it discussed that he learned anything but empty-handed techniques from his Chuan-fa teacher.

To my knowledge, he (Yoon Byung-in) learned bong sul (Bo Jitsu) from Toyama Kanken and possibly his friend Yoon Ui-byung (Yoon Kwe-byung). Most people don't know this, but Yoon Ui-byung (Yoon Kwe-byung) published a book in Japan on staff technques in the 1930's. He gave credit to his teachers Toyama Kanken and Genwa Mabuni in the book.

R. McLain

I don't suppose you know where to get a copy of that book? :)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Actually The General did have a form that one of his first Korean students I believe came up with that had two knives in it way back. Some where along the line it was discarded. I still have the black and white pictures some where. :erg:

I've heard this before but I've never seen any sort of documentation of this pattern. IIRC, some people have mentioned that a knife pattern was being taught by the Tiger Division guys in Viet Nam but I could be wrong about this. I have his 1965 textbook but it's not in there.

I'd love to see a copy of it or the photos of you can find it.

BTW, I have seen pictures and a description of a knife pattern by GM Kim, Bok Man in his Practical Taekwon-Do book, but that was designed by him and not included in Gen. Choi's syllabus as far as I know.

Pax,

Chris

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok..so I have to ask, how do you teach self defense against something that you do not practice with? Which weapons do you have self defense techniques for?

Are most people who use a knife or a club to attack someone experts in escrima? That seems doubtful to me. The weapons defense stuff is mostly against a single stick, some against a knife attack.

Pax,

Chris

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does your kumdo program consist of? And what is its origin?

Daniel
Daniel, I do not take this class as it is not offered to me. The 3rd and 4th Dans do this. I only get to do the Bo as this is what is offered to 1st and 2nd Dans. Nunchucks are for brown and up. There are only 4 or 5 students for this and they are all the lead instructors being taught by the owner or GM of the school.

From what I see there is as much practice on footwork as there is one how to hold and initiate an attack. Lots of repitition and lots of partner drills where one partner attacks and the other defends and then they switch positions and then repeat.

The practice is done with the bambo type swords and they use their hogus and arm gaurds for protection. There are a few hard head gears (2 or 3 I think) but not enough for all so I have yet to see any full on sparring, but then again I don't see all the classes.

As for the origin I could not tell you but will ask.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grandmaster Kim Soo has a copy of that book at the HQ dojang in Houston (that's where he showed it to me).

You could contact him to see if he knows where to get another copy. Let him know you heard about the book from me.

HQ phone number: (713) 681-9261

R.McLain

I don't suppose you know where to get a copy of that book? :)

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Both schools I've attended have done nunchucka.

The school I currently attend teaches nunchucka, bo, broad sword and katana.

ChichoBlanco

White Belt
Reaction score
We do a little bit with weapons. Basic self defense against a knife attack. We also use a padded half stick that looks about the size of a mag flashlight. I doubt this is traditional, but I think my instructor wanted to incorporate something modern.

ngokfei

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually I don't see many primary WTF/ITF schools that teach weapons.
those schools that do tend to either teach one of the older kwans or have acquired them from indpendent means.

YOu know that would be a good suggestion to make to WTF/ITF to create some weapons sets as well.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Actually The General did have a form that one of his first Korean students I believe came up with that had two knives in it way back. Some where along the line it was discarded. I still have the black and white pictures some where. :erg:

Back when I was in Duk Sung Son's World Tae Kwon Do Association, there were "bayonet forms" for higher ranking black belts-I don't know what level, have any documentation, or know if they are still practiced, but I saw them done in the 70's.