Weapon legality

OP
G

GouRonin

It might be against the 2nd amendment in your country.

Doesn't mean it's that way around the world.

OP
S

superdave

Wasn't talking about the rest of the world, just the state of things in my country. It is becoming a thug paradise here in Maryland, mainly because of the drug trade.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by superdave
It is becoming a thug paradise here in Maryland, mainly because of the drug trade.

I've been hearing that. What's the story down there?

OP
S

superdave

Well it is a combination of things dowm here.
We have an a real idiot for Baltimore city's States Attorney, she is more concerned about playing the race card instead of putting criminals away where they belong. Drugs are being sold right under the noses of the city counsel, who don't care by the way, as long as they get to blame the police for the misfortune of some dumb thug.

We had a murder rate just under 300 for the first time in 10 or so years, it was something like 291, or somewhere in that ballpark.

I would estimate that about 95% of the homicide is drug and gang related. Seems to be that Baltimore is the midpoint in an east coast drug supply line. We get alot of heroin(for which we were #1 in the country, next to std's that is) from Mexico, as well as the normal stuff like weed and cocaine going on its way to Philadelphia, and New York.

Though there does seem to be a shining light on the horizon. The new Mayor in Baltimore won't take any **** form the dumbbells in the city counsel, he tells them that he will do what he has to do in order to clean up the city. So far he seems to be a pain in the butt for the thugs in the city. It will take some time, but maybe next year we will be below 280, dosen't sound like much but it is a start.

Baltimore used to be a nice city, some day maybe it will be a nice place to live again.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

Which would you rather have: a law requiring safety and legal training to get a firearm license, or a situation similar to Australia, where nearly all firearms were rounded up and destroyed?
Cthulhu
It was only semi automatic weapons, and ones that carry a magazine, ie. pump action shot gun etc.

And that's just the firearms... I live in Victoria, at the Sth East cnr of the mainland of Australia. There is a law in this state which classes all martial arts weapons, except Kali sticks and Bo's, as class 2 weapons. This puts them 1 step below a firearm. Under this law, I need to have a license, because I happen to own a display set of katana. These 2 swords are blunt.

Now the funny thing here is, in my garage I have a machete, which I use to cut down an obnoxious growth of bamboo in my back yard. It grows back quite regularly, so I have to keep the machete razor sharp. I don't need a license to own this machete because, are you ready for this?, it is a tool and not a weapon.

The best part about this is I cannot be charged with weapons offenses if I choose to use it in self defense. And if I can show cause for "fear for my life" type defenses, I could quite conceivably get away with murder.

I am just grateful that we are not the only place in the world with stupid laws. I read somewhere that kali sticks are not classed as a weapon in California....... Unless you put tape around one end. The tape constitutes a handle, which then converts the stick into a billy club, and they are illegal.

Dave
:soapbox: :mad:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by D.Cobb

It was only semi automatic weapons, and ones that carry a magazine, ie. pump action shot gun etc.

And that's just the firearms... I live in Victoria, at the Sth East cnr of the mainland of Australia. There is a law in this state which classes all martial arts weapons, except Kali sticks and Bo's, as class 2 weapons. This puts them 1 step below a firearm. Under this law, I need to have a license, because I happen to own a display set of katana. These 2 swords are blunt.

Now the funny thing here is, in my garage I have a machete, which I use to cut down an obnoxious growth of bamboo in my back yard. It grows back quite regularly, so I have to keep the machete razor sharp. I don't need a license to own this machete because, are you ready for this?, it is a tool and not a weapon.

The best part about this is I cannot be charged with weapons offenses if I choose to use it in self defense. And if I can show cause for "fear for my life" type defenses, I could quite conceivably get away with murder.

I am just grateful that we are not the only place in the world with stupid laws. I read somewhere that kali sticks are not classed as a weapon in California....... Unless you put tape around one end. The tape constitutes a handle, which then converts the stick into a billy club, and they are illegal.

Dave
:soapbox: :mad:
That is very interesting! I wonder what they would consider a Ten Inch Nail or a Railroad Tie? Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Chiduce
I wonder what they would consider a Ten Inch Nail or a Railroad Tie?

Sounds like "Building materials" to me.
:D