Weapon attacks. Has anyone ever defended against someone who was armed?

S

superdave

Antone ever been attacked by an armed attacker? What type of weapon? How did you defend?

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
in 1993, i had was attacked by 3 gang members while walking home from a friend's house. One of them had a peice of rebar (the metal rods placed in concrete blocks in parking lots.)
2 of them held me down, the third one hit me 7- 10 times in the head (you tend to lose count after the first few whacks.) I wasn't pretty.. but i was able to walk to the ambulance on my own when it was over. It took 13 surgical staples to close the wound.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work in a maximum security jail facility, there have been a few encounters with homemade weapons such as shanks and other edged weapons. I have never been stabed so i guess the methods of defence I chose worked, some as easy as a front kick to the knee of the attacker.
:asian:

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Antone ever been attacked by an armed attacker?
Yup.

What type of weapon?
Knife, shank (unsharpened stabbing weapon), bottle, & rock

How did you defend?
Well enough to still be here and participating on martialtalk ;)

Ended up with a disarm of some sort in each case. Some were skillful, some were not. Some of the things were sound tactics that I would advocate training, some were most definately not.

These days I put a much higher emphasis on knowing when people are armed, when a situation is developing in which a weapon might be deployed, and how I can escape, diffuse or control the situation before weapon presentation takes place.

Though in concert with that there is certainly a place for studying weapon retrieval.

Arthur

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stabbed once. Parried & got cut. The guy ran.

Attacked 3 times with weapons after that, but in a psychiatric hospital. 220 lb guy with a broken 4 ' floresent light bulb, weilding it like a sword, and 1 actual knife attack and a couple where they were using table legs, bed frame parts, etc.

I saw the knife attack coming and used a mattress, thin security room kind of matt. It had bunches of holes in it after the disarm.

The clubs I dealt with as I dealt with 'em and don't really remember too much since it was at least 15 years ago.

Oss, keep trainin'

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I have been Attacked with weapons.

Baseball Bat, Knife(Various sizes), A Car, A Suburban, A Go Kart, Crow Bar, ... , and more. Do Guns count?
:mad: :(

Go Kart: I was running a small park and this guy wuold not get off. So, I stood in front of him and jumped out of the way when he did not swerve or stop. When I did catch him a couple of curves later, he stopped. I swung a 3' three foot hook to move tires at him. I told the Police I was defending myself from a luinatic, since he was laughing the whole time he tried to run me down.

Crow Bar: I kept distance until the guy was frustrated and tired of swinging it and ran away. I did not persue, I assumed where ever he was going had other weapons or more friends.

Knife(s):

Stabbed at me out of a car window while standing nearby. I passed, grabbed and yanked. Heard the guys' head hit the roof of the car then I took the knife away. BTW that is when the police showed up, I had his knife in my hand my knife in my back pocket and police looking for the fight.

I took off my belt and used it as a flail. Why the guy gave me time to do so, I do not know?

More, including one I passed of clipped, yet I Hit him also. He left, not knowing he had just clipped my forearm.

Basebal Bat(s): A fovorite of High school and college guys. I just walked up to him as he was cocked back to swing. Staring into his eyes the whole time tellig him I was going to kill him if he swung that bat.

I did something like this, only I told the guy I was going to take the bat and beat him and his car to a pulp.

Car:

Standing in a parking lot, waiting for the bad guys to leave. Well as they were pulling out they raced by me I jumped out of the way, yet was not nimble anough to miss their friends in the second car. I jumpe and rolled over the hood. Note: Speed of the cars was probable 20 miles per hour. I was sore for weeks.

I was carrying a jug of OJ for a party. This car comes at me, I JUmp out of the way and throw the OJ at him. The impact causes a loud noise, so the driver slams on him brakes and slides into another car. He then drives away leaking brake and transmission fluids. The Police found him up the road about a mile.

Surburban:

Was about to be pinned between the vehicle and a building so I jumped up onto the hood of the truck. Early 1970's. Solid Metal and nice hood opening at the top to hang onto. I hung ont while he tried to shake me off first back then forwards, and at speeds. He finally slowed down when I got pissed enopugh to swing hammer fists at the wind shield while hanging on wiht the left. He slowed down and then stopped, I rolled off and he took off.

Note: I do not recommend anyone trieds any of this. By all rigths I am lucky to be alive now and typing this. :)

:asian:

Latest Discussions