MMA fighter kills intruder

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steve gets my point in posting the article. this is just one article we can reference where an MMA guy successfully defended himself against multiple attackers. I don't think it guarantees anything or changes much. It's just a documented incident of someone successfully using MMA outside the cage.

This article might not mention the shank, I read it from several sources and linked one. Either way it doesn't matter. Somehow an MMA fighter who trains in a sport with rules was able to operate outside that rulset in a self defense encounter, he obtained a weapon and used it to save his life. Some here imply an MMA fighter will handle a self defense situation just as a competitive match, this case shows otherwise.

There are plenty of people worldwide who fight off attackers, your engineer friend being one. Those incidents have no relevance here. Common sense would dictate that engineering does not help ones ability to defend his or her life. If the guy in the story trained wing chun you guys would be quick to elevate the story but it's MMA and doesn't fit your belief system so you're quick to distract from what the article shows us.
"Somehow an MMA fighter who trains in a sport with rules..."
A well trained mma fighter should be able to put rules aside and still fight. Defending oneself has nothing to do with being an mma fighter and that was my point by using my engineering friend. Doesn't matter what one trains or that one even trains. I am more excited in that the man defended his home and family.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A well trained mma fighter should be able to put rules aside and still fight. Defending oneself has nothing to do with being an mma fighter and that was my point by using my engineering friend. Doesn't matter what one trains or that one even trains. I am more excited in that the man defended his home and family.
If this is true, then there would be no reason to study self defense.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just think it's great to hear of Martial Artists able to use their skills successfully to defend their family or home. Should just be a testament to people who put in the hard yards to tip the favor in their direction.
Agree! Have you (general YOU) ever sparred against someone who has never sparred in the ring (or fought on the street) before? Have you also noticed that those people who doesn't train can't even hold their fists properly and has no punching power? It makes a big difference between whether you train or you don't train. If you train, your body will be able to take more punches than average people.

The day that you can experience

- when an untrained person's punch hurts more on their own hands than on your body,
- when an untrained person's gives you a bear hug and breaks his own ribs,
- even your low successful rate techniques also work perfect,

the day that you will appreciate your MA training result.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you read a bit of the background to this 'home invasion' it gets a bit murky. The 'bad guys' telephoned ahead that they were coming, there were other issues and the 'good guy' may not be all that good. I doubt being a martial artist had much to do in this case.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you read a bit of the background to this 'home invasion' it gets a bit murky. The 'bad guys' telephoned ahead that they were coming, there were other issues and the 'good guy' may not be all that good. I doubt being a martial artist had much to do in this case.
Being poor and dealing with gangs doesn't make a person bad. He was at home with his wife and daughter on New Years and not partying with a gang. My bets on him being a decent person living in a tough situation trying to make a living in a very depressed part of the country, economically.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If this is true, then there would be no reason to study self defense.
Which part?
That a well trained mma fighter should be able to put rules aside and still fight;
That defending ones self has nothing to do with being a mma fighter;
That one even without any training can defend themselves;
Or, that I'm excited about the man defending his family and home??

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Which part?
I appreciate the clarification, but that's not actually what you said. The part I was referring to specifically is in bold below:
When you say that defending oneself has nothing to do with training, and thta it doesn't matter what one trains, or even if they train at all, you are wrong. In my opinion, at least. I think that training is one of many things people can do to stack the odds in their favor, and I believe that a person who is well trained in self defense is more capable than someone who is untrained. In other words, I think the opposite of what you say in bold is the rule.

Hope that clears it up for you, Danny.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yer a little off-base here, but since you're a little more than half a world away, it's forgivable.

Las Cruces hardly qualifies as a city-it's got a population of a little less than 100,000, and sits close to the borders of Texas and Mexico. It's not such a great place, but it's not a bad place, either....

The phone threat was to Torrez's fiance's 17 year old sister, who knew the guys-they'd tried to get her intoxicated and take advantage of her at a party, and she'd gone to her sister's instead of home for "security reasons." (What 17 year wants to go home on New Year's Eve, anyway?) She'd phoned one of the guys involved in the invasion, and spoken with them.(I can speculate on this, culturally, but I won't, because it doesn't matter) Torrez arrived at home at 10 pm.-the assailants(who he didn't know at all) arrived with a broken baseball bat, and one of them grabbed a kitchen knife after breaking in.

One of them was actually wearing an ankle bracelet.Two guys wound up getting cut-one died. Two ran away, and got picked up by the cops (who his fiance had called) just down the road.....

Torrez has had run ins with the law-a DUI and some child custody issues, but had never been a gang member, and isn't a criminal. He'd been training at the Gracie Barra Las Cruces for ten years, and the prosecutor declined to file charges six months later.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt being a martial artist had much to do in this case.
How about hang this sign on your front door.

AK_47.jpg

If you stand your striking/throwing dummy outside of your front door and also leave your weight training equipment such as dumbbell, kelly Bell, double heads, single head, ... on your front yard, it will be unlikely that someone will want to break into your house.

dummy1.jpg

dummy.jpg

dummy.png

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the clarification, but that's not actually what you said. The part I was referring to specifically is in bold below:
When you say that defending oneself has nothing to do with training, and thta it doesn't matter what one trains, or even if they train at all, you are wrong. In my opinion, at least. I think that training is one of many things people can do to stack the odds in their favor, and I believe that a person who is well trained in self defense is more capable than someone who is untrained. In other words, I think the opposite of what you say in bold is the rule.

Hope that clears it up for you, Danny.
I understand what you are stating and can agree somewhat, in that it stacks the odd in ones favor.
What about the many people who defend themselves but have no to very little training. Just plain desire. Happens daily. No training, no great skills, they just do whatever to defend themselves.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I understand what you are stating and can agree somewhat, in that it stacks the odd in ones favor.
What about the many people who defend themselves but have no to very little training. Just plain desire. Happens daily. No training, no great skills, they just do whatever to defend themselves.
Danny, I totally understand where you're coming from. I look at it like this. We've all heard about untrained people who, in a crisis, were able to land a plane. But would you say that, because it's turned out okay in the past, training as a pilot is unnecessary?

Untrained passenger lands plane after pilot falls ill Las Vegas Review-Journal
Wisconsin Wife 80 Lands Plane for Dying Pilot Husband - ABC News

The point is that people CAN survive, but it's the old saying, luck favors the prepared. A person who is untrained MIGHT be okay, but the odds would be much better if they were well trained and not likely to make avoidable mistakes. We can disagree on the details of what specific techniques and training is more or less helpful... but I think we can agree that in this case, the victim's MMA training absolutely helped him defend himself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Totally agree, and we should all remember this the next time someone posts a link about how krav maga or any other style is better suited than MMA for self defense.

As a general statement that MMA is awesome for self defense, I think we're on shaky ground. But if this is posted as a response to the general belief of some that MMA is not well suited for self defense training because it is a sport, I think the point is a good one.

And if we can all agree to share Tez's sentiment above the next time someone posts a link to an article where someone uses kung fu, karate or anything else, as support for their training, I'm on board.

From what I have read boxing still over represents in these martial artist bashed guy news articles. And also over represents in old martial artist bashed people.

But it is the sort of martial art that hard unforgiving sons of bitches tend to gravitate towards

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Doesn't matter. I want to use what the badies know.

Street experience comes with shady character, generally.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That too.

You do have to have a bit of baddie in you to win a street fight though.
Nah. There's nothing more fearless or ruthless than a mother protecting her children.....throw some skills in there, and it's done-yer in the fight.

Mindset-not a :"bit of a baddie" at all-we're natural born, and, just as nature is red of tooth and claw, so are we, by nature-you just need to have the means of getting in touch with it......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree! Have you (general YOU) ever sparred against someone who has never sparred in the ring (or fought on the street) before? Have you also noticed that those people who doesn't train can't even hold their fists properly and has no punching power? It makes a big difference between whether you train or you don't train. If you train, your body will be able to take more punches than average people.

The day that you can experience

- when an untrained person's punch hurts more on their own hands than on your body,
- when an untrained person's gives you a bear hug and breaks his own ribs,
- even your low successful rate techniques also work perfect,

the day that you will appreciate your MA training result.
How about hang this sign on your front door.

AK_47.jpg

If you stand your striking/throwing dummy outside of your front door and also leave your weight training equipment such as dumbbell, kelly Bell, double heads, single head, ... on your front yard, it will be unlikely that someone will want to break into your house.

dummy1.jpg

dummy.jpg

dummy.png

I know many that would take that as a challenge...or just nick them.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danny, I totally understand where you're coming from. I look at it like this. We've all heard about untrained people who, in a crisis, were able to land a plane. But would you say that, because it's turned out okay in the past, training as a pilot is unnecessary?

Untrained passenger lands plane after pilot falls ill Las Vegas Review-Journal
Wisconsin Wife 80 Lands Plane for Dying Pilot Husband - ABC News

The point is that people CAN survive, but it's the old saying, luck favors the prepared. A person who is untrained MIGHT be okay, but the odds would be much better if they were well trained and not likely to make avoidable mistakes. We can disagree on the details of what specific techniques and training is more or less helpful... but I think we can agree that in this case, the victim's MMA training absolutely helped him defend himself.

Yeah, also 10 years of Gracie Barra Bjj is no joke.

Good on this guy for defending his home and family.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, also 10 years of Gracie Barra Bjj is no joke.

Good on this guy for defending his home and family.

I should clarify that: He was a pretty good high school wrestler, and football
player. After he graduated, he trained at Bonecrusher MMA and a few other places, and didn't start training at Gracie Barra until 2010...he also got some boxing from Johnny Tapia, ....

More on this: the deceased assailant was cut twelve times. Four times on the left side, with three of those in the heart.One to the neck, five on the head, and one to the left arm.

"Gracie Barra" doesn't teach anyone how to do that.....
(mindset. How many times do I have to say it? :rolleyes: )

The cultural thing...I can talk about that, too.....New Mexico is....odd.

Last edited: