MMA fighter kills intruder

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So there you have it, MMA works against multiple armed attackers. We can lay that argument to rest next time someone criticizes MMA as "just a sport".
Generally the criticism (if that is how you wish to take it) I see is not that it is "just" a sport, but simply pointing out that that training for a combat sport is not the same as training for SD, which is true. Yes, some of the techniques will still work (a good punch is always a good punch) but if you want to train for SD then you train SD not combat sport, if you want to train for combat sport then you train combat sport not SD.

The problem is that some MMA fans misread "MMA is not the same as SD" as "MMA is **** and doesn't work for SD", which is not what people say, generally. Will some elemnets of MMA work for SD, obviously yes, but not always (just ask Kuae Mena & Maiquel Falco), in exactly the same way that some elements of insert name of art here will work for SD and some won't.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter if he studied MMA, BJJ, boxing or nothing at all; The MAN wins the fight, not the art. For the most part all a martial art/sport does is teach how to use your weapons which are normally, but not only, just body appendages. I've studied several martial arts and boxed. So of course I've been asked what "style" would I use; this is normal thinking for a duffer. The main thing I tell them is that my first choice is ALWAYS a weapon; mostly environmental weapons which have also been part of my training. I'm too old and too sick to fight and simply won't do it. This is why I go armed. For instance, I walk with a cane so this is my primary weapon.

This may sound radical but is rather just common sense; there's really no such thing as self defense. If you have to defend yourself this implies the other guy(s) is already attacking and has momentum on his side. At that point you're actually losing and must overcome his advantage before you can be effective. You can't fight backing up. In my philosophy the attack begins at the moment the bad guy decides he wants to jump you. You don't wait for him to punch, kick, etc, you go into destroyer mode and fly into him like a rabid dog. Doesn't matter whether or not he's armed; you must be. Weapons first! Always!

Forget techniques. Think total destruction with no mercy. Sure, when he's completely out of wanting-to-fight and runs away or maybe can't even stand; it's over! Over means OVER!

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter if he studied MMA, BJJ, boxing or nothing at all; The MAN wins the fight, not the art. For the most part all a martial art/sport does is teach how to use your weapons which are normally, but not only, just body appendages. I've studied several martial arts and boxed. So of course I've been asked what "style" would I use; this is normal thinking for a duffer. The main thing I tell them is that my first choice is ALWAYS a weapon; mostly environmental weapons which have also been part of my training. I'm too old and too sick to fight and simply won't do it. This is why I go armed. For instance, I walk with a cane so this is my primary weapon.

This may sound radical but is rather just common sense; there's really no such thing as self defense. If you have to defend yourself this implies the other guy(s) is already attacking and has momentum on his side. At that point you're actually losing and must overcome his advantage before you can be effective. You can't fight backing up. In my philosophy the attack begins at the moment the bad guy decides he wants to jump you. You don't wait for him to punch, kick, etc, you go into destroyer mode and fly into him like a rabid dog. Doesn't matter whether or not he's armed; you must be. Weapons first! Always!

Forget techniques. Think total destruction with no mercy. Sure, when he's completely out of wanting-to-fight and runs away or maybe can't even stand; it's over! Over means OVER!
:rolleyes: