Defending from a prone position

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been considering defenses from a prone position.

In the version of American Kenpo I was taught a technique called Encounter with danger where an opponent pushes you to the ground, and you execute several kicks to his groin, leg, head, and body as you rise to your feet.

Additionally, we had a number of drills we practiced for defending from a prone position.

1. Defender lays down on the ground, Attacker circles him. The Defender laying on the ground tries to rotate on the ground to keep his legs between himself and the Attacker while the Attacker tries to get into a position to strike the Defender's head. This is a non contact drill, the students only circle and rotate.

2. Multiple attackers holding shields surround a defender laying on the ground. Attackers constantly move in towards Defender while Defender strikes out with arms and legs against the shields, driving Attackers away. This is a medium contact drill against shields, but special attention must be used to avoid accidently striking Attackers legs with force. This drill can get very intense. Even against shields the Defender may feel highly threatened and can lash out unconsciously without an instructor's attentive direction.

3. One attacker pulls a Defender down and backwards from behind and strikes them to the ground, then begins stomping and kicking the Defender. The Defender must protect himself while moving to a less disadvantageous position and return to his feet. This is an advanced drill simulating an ambush style attack. Both students need to stay focused to avoid injury, and instructors should pay close attention to the level of force being used.

4. Multiple Attackers force a Defender to the ground and attempt to both grapple and strike the Defender into submission. The Defender is to defend as possible, while attempting to extricate himself as quickly as possible. This is an advanced drill simulating a group assault. The Defender is in a deeply disadvantageous position and is likely to be overwhelmed. The instructor must encourage the Defender to protect himself carefully while looking for opportunities to isolate and disable his attackers.

These are just some of the drills we used. There are others, but what drills do you use?

Secondly, in MMA you often see an attacker kicking the legs of a prone opponent. In a fight, I would stomp rather than kick, and I would only stomp the legs enough to move past them to the body. But my next question is on the defense of this attack.

When being struck in the body, I was taught to tense the muscles in my abdomen to absorb the force of the blow and protect the organs beneath. While this does protect the organs, tense muscles are more dense and as such expose more overall surface area to the force of the strike.

When being kicked in the legs, there are no organs to protect, the leg itself is the target. It would seem then that it is better to keep the legs loose so that less muscle tissue is exposed to trauma, tensing only to strike.

I know some of you probably know more about anatomy then I. What is your perspective on this defense?

-Rob

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do #1 and #2 regularly in Krav Maga at my lowly level (2). Front, Round, and Side kicks from the ground position are basic. I've just recently been exposed to three variations on escaping a foot grab while in ground position.

We've also done pushed from behind, roll forward while twisting around so the defender comes up facing the attacker in a fighting stance. The key is to get it down smooth and quick because the attacker is simultaneously rushing forward; the defender has to meet him in time with a front kick. It's not easy to get the hang of and I do need a lot more practice on that one.

One of the more agonizing drills from ground starts with the defender lying on his/her stomach, with several attackers aligned around/ on top trying to hold him down. The defender must struggle out and up to his feet using soft techniques and a lot of "elbow grease".

Prolly we'll get to drills similar to #3 and #4 further on in my training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have done and had my students do some of those techniques from time to time. I think it should be part of any training system becauseone never knows if they will end up on their back.
I would also be interested in hearing if others have different training ideas when one is on their back

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Query Thesemindz, does your Kenpo group teach any falling and/or falling rolling through skills. Sometimes in Judo we work on straight breakfalls, that is being thrown hard straight to the mat where we must fall in such a way to not get hurt. This would end up in Ippon but you'de live to fight another day. On the other hand, if the throw if even a tad off center, soft, or can be blocked a bit you can angle the landing, breakfall, and then roll straight to your feet. If your attacker pushes you backward, can you not just employ one of these roll throughs? I know ziltch about Kempo, sorry.
lori

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Query Thesemindz, does your Kenpo group teach any falling and/or falling rolling through skills. Sometimes in Judo we work on straight breakfalls, that is being thrown hard straight to the mat where we must fall in such a way to not get hurt. This would end up in Ippon but you'de live to fight another day. On the other hand, if the throw if even a tad off center, soft, or can be blocked a bit you can angle the landing, breakfall, and then roll straight to your feet. If your attacker pushes you backward, can you not just employ one of these roll throughs? I know ziltch about Kempo, sorry.
lori

Our instructor introduced something he called "breakfall set." It contained forward, back, and side breakfalls. Forward, back, and side rolls to prone and standing positions, and stand up techniques to rise from a prone to a standing position in one quick movement. Before we practiced this set we had all this material, but practiced it seperately. The set gave us a chance to combine all that material into one contained drill.

Breakfalls are a huge part of self defense. Not only in combat, but when running on the edge of a swimming pool as well.

-Rob