New Kenpo member- KenpoDad

M

Mike

Hello to all- In early November I decided to take the plunge at 40 years old, and join Steve Arsenault's Kenpo studio in New Bedford, MA. I look forward to the challenge. My son has studied here for 3 years, since he was 6 years old. Just a few initial thoughts:
Regarding our studio, I have always been impressed with the manner in which the instructors here dealt with the kids. They have always used positive reinforcement to motivate the kids, and older/higher ranked students are always willing to help the younger students. All of the instructors have likewise been very helpful to me.
Regarding the art itself, I have tried to do as much research as possible over the web since beginning my training. I do not yet have a good understanding of the philosophical differences that developed after the death of Grand Master Parker. I have found several good Kenpo sites, such as Kenpothoughts.com , Kenponet.com , and of course, this forum. Any additonal sites or suggestions for sources of information would be appreciated.
Finally, one of my immediate concerns as an older Kenpo novice, is improving my flexibility. I am 6'5", 255. I still play soccer year round and try to stay in shape, but the flexibility in my legs needs much improvement. Has anyone tried the books or videos by Thomas Kurz?

I look forward to enjoying the forum here. I will probably me more of a silent participant until I gain both knowledge and tenure.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mike,

That's wonderful you've jumped right in. Flexibility will happen over time with proper stretching and continual practice. I can't comment on kurz since I haven't read his books.

Don Bohrer

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mike,

Rachel started a thread on stretching at the bottom of this list just incase you missed it.

don bohrer

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike
Hello to all- In early November I decided to take the plunge at 40 years old, and join Steve Arsenault's Kenpo studio in New Bedford, MA. I look forward to the challenge. My son has studied here for 3 years, since he was 6 years old. Just a few initial thoughts:
Regarding our studio, I have always been impressed with the manner in which the instructors here dealt with the kids. They have always used positive reinforcement to motivate the kids, and older/higher ranked students are always willing to help the younger students. All of the instructors have likewise been very helpful to me.
Regarding the art itself, I have tried to do as much research as possible over the web since beginning my training. I do not yet have a good understanding of the philosophical differences that developed after the death of Grand Master Parker. I have found several good Kenpo sites, such as Kenpothoughts.com , Kenponet.com , and of course, this forum. Any additonal sites or suggestions for sources of information would be appreciated.
Finally, one of my immediate concerns as an older Kenpo novice, is improving my flexibility. I am 6'5", 255. I still play soccer year round and try to stay in shape, but the flexibility in my legs needs much improvement. Has anyone tried the books or videos by Thomas Kurz?

Man,

I wish I was 6'5".... welcome. The 2 Kurz vids I have are pretty extensive. There are a specific set of exercises you need to do with that program (with and without weights). It looked to me like you needed an actual gym to do all of the exercises prescribed. Just work your way into it. Don't go out and buy a bunch of junk like a gizmo that will make you faster, or more flexible or whatever (do get a gi,gear,mouth piece, CUP, etc...i.e. tools of the trade). I do think you have the right idea that all your work won't be done in the school. You have to commit yourself at home as well. Like when you'd work with your son on his material...:D

Regards, jb :asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tom Kurz video...never seen it. can't recommend or comment.

i do have the book though...and i highly recommend it, and i doubt that a video can help you any more than the book. the book is a great reference.

i think marco lalas' stretching videos are probably the best around. they're very cheap as well.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You could also, if you were of the Eastern Mystical bent, peform Yoga. Slower to get the response, but really not bad for you, at all. BTW... Welcome to the family fray! :lol:

Dan Farmer

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I've got Kurtz's book called "Stretching Scientifically," which when I bought it about 8 or 10 years ago, I thought to be the best. Now, however I would suggest the titles at www.dragondoor.com. I have the book "Beyond Stretching" by PAVEL TSATSOULINE and his video "Relax into Stretch." I would recommend the videos. Pavel I think is better than Kurtz and is geared more directly and clearly for both martial arts and health. You also might want to try Matt Furey's Combat Stretching at www.mattfurey.com/combat_stretching.html.

Howardr

OP
M

Mike

Howardr, thanks for the tip. I did some reading on both Kurz and Pavel TSATSOULINE, and I bought the Relax into Stretching video on e-bay. Can't wait to try it. My understanding is that Pavel believes that most people have muscles that are already long enough to do splits, high kicks, etc. It is simply a matter of training your nervous system to release the full muscle length. I will let you know how it goes. I was a commercial fisherman for about ten years, and I have played soccer all my life. So, I have powerful legs, if inflexible.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Mike, Welcome to a whole new world *S*

I didn't start Kenpo until I was in my late 30's.. and going on fast to 43... I've been in it for 6 yrs now :)
I wish I had started years ago!!
Just take it easy and realize you're not 20something anymore..Get yourself into a good stretching /limbering routine before and after working out.. way important~! our muscles will take longer to stretch than younger people.. but hey that's ok :)
I've dealt with multiple torn hamstrings and other injuries.. and keep coming back.. it's THAT worth it~!
I still am not going to be a high falutin' kicker.. but I've got some fast hands that make up for flash *G*

Enjoy each class at your own speed and ask questions.. there's such a plethora of endless knowledge on this board !!
And if the going gets rough.. let us know.. we've all been there ~!!

Have a Happy Holiday~!

Tess

Latest Discussions