Video Exchange

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought it might be cool to have a thread devoted to CMA videos. These could be you, someone you know, or just videos you have come across online. Post a link to them here and we can discuss them as well. Remember, lets make sure and keep them within the rules though.

I've got a few, I'll track down and post here later tonight....

7sm

J

j_m

I've got a few floating around so I'll post up this since one of the other threads started to get into a discussion about Tan Tui. Here is a clip of Han Ching Tan (1903 - 1976) doing a 10 road/line version of Tan Tui. Han was Adam Hsu's long fist teacher and this is the version that has been passed down to me. It's an old clip and not exactly shown as we practice it (or as he taught it :) ).

http://s94386375.onlinehome.us/vidclips/Han_Chin_Tan_TanTui.wmv

jm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice. Is this one of you guys main forms you learn?

7sm

J

j_m

Changquan is taught as a "minor" style to help introduce basic kung fu principles to those who are new to Chinese martial arts or those that just need better foundation work. After spending some time training in "basics" students start to learn the Tan Tui form and can later (depending on the student :) ) move on to a "major" style that is taught such as Taiji or Mizong. Of course, a studant can choose to just stick with long fist if that is what they want and/or should do.

jm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a clip of a drunken mantis form called Zui Chuen. I dont know this form or the people in the video. This is just a clip I came across online. What do you guys think about it? Anyone know any drunken forms? In different "families" there are different variations of this and some do not have it at all. Still, its interesting to watch.

Clip

7sm

J

j_m

I have to admit that I know nothing about drunken styles or techniques... other than there seem to be quite a few versions out there. It seems to me that it's really more of a principal than a style per se.

So, based on what I know about it... yes, it's still interesting to watch :)

Here is another fun clip based on something else I know very little about :uhyeah: : The rope dart.

http://s94386375.onlinehome.us/rope_dart.wmv

jm

G

GermanMantis

Yes Ropedart is very cool. Unfortunatly we don't pratices it. Only Chainwhip. But i think ropedart is much harder to learn, as far as i tried to learn it by myself.
Greetings from Germany!

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is another clip I came across on my journey across the information superhighway....I dont know anything about these people or anything, I just found the clip. They are some pretty good drills though. Sorry most of my stuff has a mantis bias to it.

*Make sure your sound is down, it has an awefull wind sound to it
http://www.mantismartialart.com/demofight-2.WMV

J

j_m

Pretty nice clip. Very interesting drills. Fast handwork mixed with some good footwork. I personally like a little "more" footwork than that... but maybe that's just me (or the drills).

Here's another clip I just dug out of my archives. Again it's an older clip but not of Han Ching Tan himslef but of one of his students doing Yang Ja Chan [Spear Form] in 1965. The spear is one of my favorite weapons :)

http://s94386375.onlinehome.us/vidclips/Han_student_spear.WMV

jm

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
j_m said:
Here is a clip of Han Ching Tan (1903 - 1976) doing a 10 road/line version of Tan Tui.

http://s94386375.onlinehome.us/vidclips/Han_Chin_Tan_TanTui.wmv

That's the same video clip we used to have on our club web site. The student who was hosting it graduated, so the site's gone now, at least temporarily. I have to admit that I was surprised to see it posted here already because according to the information I collected, that's our great-grandmaster (generational sense) in the video. Not like others can't have it, too, but I still wasn't expecting someone else here to have a copy. Anyway, after watching it again, it looks like it's very close to the way we were taught the routines. I think there are some differences, but for the most part, that is what we learned. Except for the 10th routine; our teacher said he couldn't remember it well enough to teach it to us, so we weren't taught it before he returned to his home country. We had a couple other videos on the web site, so if it ever gets back on line again, I'll try to remember to give you a pointer so you can see what we had there.

As for drunken forms, about all I know is that they do exist and our teacher did teach one drunken form to a few of the most advanced students in our class. I did see them practicing a few of the moves in it, but I never saw the whole form. Apparently there's quite a bit of falling and rolling and such that no one's really willing to do on the hard floors in school. Drunken forms do seem interesting though. It seems like they require a lot of flexibility and balance and they're kind of tricky, making your opponent think you're out of it when you're really perfectly in control of what you're doing.

J

j_m

Dronak said:
That's the same video clip we used to have on our club web site. The student who was hosting it graduated, so the site's gone now, at least temporarily. I have to admit that I was surprised to see it posted here already because according to the information I collected, that's our great-grandmaster (generational sense) in the video.
Han Ching Tan was a very famous martial artist and martial arts teacher. I beleive he had many, many students... some of whom became pretty famous themselves. If you do a search on the internet you can find more information on him. Here's a little more info:

http://www.oslowutan.com/index.php?page=HanChingTan&lang=en

jm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, I can't put my finger on it. Is it Wah Lum possibly?

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
some very impressive videos! I especially like the weapons forms, so gracefull and breathtaking to watch! I just hope I can be as accomplishd as some of these people here.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
j_m said:
I'll post up this since one of the other threads started to get into a discussion about Tan Tui. . . .

First note, I found that video on a few other sites while searching for tan tui info just now. Obviously it's not as rare as I seemed to think it was. Anyway.

I'm not sure what other thread got into tan tui. Feel free to point me over to it though; lately I've been more off the board than on so it's easy for me to miss things. But since it's been brought up here, too, let me ask something about it.

I have a book on tan tui that I hoped to use as a reminder of the routines we learned. But even though it's also 10 routines (not 12, the other popular one), the forms aren't quite the same as what we learned. Some are pretty close, but others look quite different. Part of the intro informational section of the book names the routines, e.g., the first routine is Coherent Steps, and gives the folk song that goes with it, e.g., for the first routine it's "Routine One teaches you coherent steps that are hard to resist." I can type them all out later if people are interested. These seem to be an indication of the main point behind the routines, the basic thing they're trying to teach you. So here's the question -- is that main point still the same even if the routines are different?

When we were taught the routines, we weren't given any of these songs or poems with them. But it seems that knowing the main teaching point behind each routine would help make practicing them more meaningful. So I'd like to start keeping those points in mind, but I'm not sure if they're the same when the routines are different. As I said before, the routines in this video are very close to the way were were taught them. So can I use the poems/songs in the book I have as indicators of what the routines teach even when the ones I've been taught don't match the ones in the book? If anyone could help clear things up for me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

J

j_m

Yes, it's not really a "rare" video clip... but it's pretty interesting none the less ;)

The thread below that got into tan tui was Jow Ga --> http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20682 Only the last few posts touched on tan tui really.

I have an article that has the songs for this particular version of tan tui. I'll try to dig it up and see if I can post some of it. I guess I'm more under the opinion that they can be helpful, but not entirely necesary for practice. Hence the reason I have to dig them up :p And plus, songs are VERY open to interpritation. Not that that's an entirely bad thing either... but what one sees in them someone will see/read something else.

So, not really an answer to your question, just some thoughts on it. Maybe I can find those songs soon.

Dronak, who was your teacher for this version of tan tui? Or your teachers teacher? It might be possible to dig up more info if we knew. Maybe :)

jm

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
True, the songs may not be necessary and maybe that's why we weren't told them. But if each routine does have a goal, it seems like it would be useful to know that. Here are the songs for the ten routines as the book I have lists them. I'll put the name in parentheses after the song.

Routine One teaches you coherent steps that are hard to resist. (Coherent Steps)
Routine Two passes on the skill of cross that gives you the knack of springing and shoorting. (Cross)
Routine Three tells you how to slash and squash that you can brave the darkness. (Slash and Squash)
Routine Four enables you to block the adversary with a shooting palm. (Uphold Palm)
Routine Five instructs you to prepare for an incoming ill intent. (Uphold Fist)
Routine Six guides you to advance and grapple by artifice of crooking and sprinking. (Crook and Sprinkle)
Routine Seven teaches you the flowery elbow-bending as a means of defense. (Flowery Bending)
Routine Eight directs you to stamp and tread with body rotation and hands waving. (Stamp and Tread)
Routine Nine gives you the skill of locking and sticking with a sweeping leg of a mandarin duck. (Lock and Stick)
Routine Ten teaches you the flying kick -- the key skill of spring leg. (Flying Kick)

The book, BTW, is Ten Routine Spring Leg (Chinese Kung-Fu Series 6) by Ma Zhenbang, translated by Ji Shaoxiang. Right now I tend to remember which routine is which by something about them or how we learned them. For example, I think of 1 as having almost all arm movements and 5 as the one we never do (because after our teacher taught it to us, we rarely if ever drilled it). I think it would be more useful to try to remember them by their names, poems, songs, or something that hints at the goal of practicing each routine. That's why I was looking into how similar those goals are even if the routines themselves are different.

AFAIK, our teacher has nothing about him on the web except what our club web page had (which is currently down). But a handout we got said that his teacher was Chong-Gen Giang and there may be more about him on the web somewhere. The person who created the site at http://www.geocities.com/yunhsinyoung/ learned from the same teacher our teacher did. His name was written as Jiang, Chang-Gen there; I had to check with one of the Chinese students in our club to make sure that they were the same person since I'm not familiar with the language and transliteration of names. That's about the best I was able to find on our particular style and lineage when I went searching for more information a couple years ago. Maybe it can be a starting point to help you find more though.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank's guys enjoy the video clips. .....great idea...now I need to learn how to do this. .....Aloha

Latest Discussions