Jow Ga

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a member of the US Kung Fu Exchange, an organization started by my sigung, Raymond Fogg back in 1975 I believe. We have started a sort of national test if you will. Once a student in any of the 9 KFE schools around the US reach the black level (or equivilent) they have the option of taking this test. Its held only once a year and its for those who want to pursue possibly teaching in the future. Its more of an examination of your skill than a test, and its to show intent in training and increasing your skill. Basically for those who want to carry on the lineage of their sifu and teach at one time (at least under the KFE) this is a series of tests to get them ready. There are 6 jow ga levels. Jow Ga level 1,2,3,4,5,6. Each year you can take the next test if you like. Once you reach level 6 you have shown your dedication and (hopefully proven your skill) and can then take a sifu test and be "certified" under the exchange to teach in our lineage.

Tonight I will be taking this test. Since we are just starting it I will be taking Jow Ga level 1. Like I said, its more to show intent and prove your skill level than anything else. So there will be mainly fighting. We will start with one advanced empty hand set and one advanced weapon set. Then we will fight all the students who are taking the test, one at a time. I think only for about 5 minutes each, but I think there are 15 testing tonight. Then we will fight all the students who have allready taken this test. Again 5 minutes each, and there are about 15. Then we will fight all of the nine exchange sifus. We will fight the sifus for only 3 minuts each I believe and then they will critique us after each fight.

I'm looking forward to it, I'm sure it will be hard, but its going to be such a great learning experience to fight all these other people from other schools. There will be people from California, to New York here tonight. Fighting the sifus will be a great learning experience as well. Hopefully I'll live through it :) We will start at 7pm. Wish me luck!

7sm

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds intense. Good luck!
I'm sure you'll do great but you are going to be TIRED! :D How long has it been since this national testing started? Sounds like you're in the second group to go through? It's certainly an excellent program IMO. Let us know how it goes.
:asian:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good Luck and I think your dedication and loyality are fantastic

Todd

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is only the second time we have had the test. I think its a good idea, I will deffinitely be TIRED!! Whew, I get tired just thinking about it :)

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way, the next day (saturday) about 1:30pm we will be having a birthday and 30 year anniversary of teaching celebration for my Sigung, Raymond Fogg. There will be lots of kung fu and such from all of our 9 schools from around the US. Any of you guys that live close are welcome to drop in and visit.

7sm

J

j_m

7starmantis said:
By the way, the next day (saturday) about 1:30pm we will be having a birthday and 30 year anniversary of teaching celebration for my Sigung, Raymond Fogg. There will be lots of kung fu and such from all of our 9 schools from around the US. Any of you guys that live close are welcome to drop in and visit.

7sm
Will this be at the school in Garland?

jm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-GOOD LUCK 7*!!! I would love to be down there and see everyone in action. My training slowed down a bit due to a rough holiday season, but now that has past, and I'm even doing springy legs at work, just don't tell my boss. Sounds like it could be gruesome, but an excellent way to see where you stand, and to see how far you have come in praying mantis. And a happy birthday to Sigung Fogg!

A---)

F

Fumanchu

Sevenstar,

From what I understand, each student has to fight every other student for 5mins. Lets see 15 students taking 2 at a time = 105 fights assuming that each fight last 5mins this would come to 8.75 hours!

If you each fight the other students who have already taken the test - there are another 15, this comes to 225 fights, at 5.0mins each comes to 18.75hours!

Now each student fights the 9 masters which comes to 135 fights in total. assuming a 3min round for each, that comes to 6.75 hours.

This comes to 34.25hours not including advance empty hand set and weapons set. You start at 7.00pm when are you expecting to sleep. You can't finish this in a day! Sounds crazy are you sure your sifu has thought this through properly?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fumanchu said:
Sevenstar,

From what I understand, each student has to fight every other student for 5mins. Lets see 15 students taking 2 at a time = 105 fights assuming that each fight last 5mins this would come to 8.75 hours!

If you each fight the other students who have already taken the test - there are another 15, this comes to 225 fights, at 5.0mins each comes to 18.75hours!

Now each student fights the 9 masters which comes to 135 fights in total. assuming a 3min round for each, that comes to 6.75 hours.

This comes to 34.25hours not including advance empty hand set and weapons set. You start at 7.00pm when are you expecting to sleep. You can't finish this in a day! Sounds crazy are you sure your sifu has thought this through properly?
*sigh* Here we go again. Fumanchu, once again you have greatly overlooked the obvious. My school has a big room and all of us fought at once. We had everyone fighting at the same time, that really cuts some time off there buddy. I know that your pissed at me because I disagreed with you on another thread, but dont just start trying to insult people, especially without thinking it through. I know you try to keep your location secret and all, but I do wish you lived closer as I would love to have you visit us for the celebration and chi sao.

Anyway, there ended up not being as many testing and a couple of the sifus couldn't make it, but it was pretty intense. I'm nursing a pretty swollen nose and eye right now. Thanks guys for your encouragement, I'm pretty glad its over! Today I'll get to just watch all my kung fu family from around the US perform lots of kung fu and taiji. That will be fun. We have people from New York, California, Louisiana, and all over Texas here today. Then we will all go eat together and come back and play chi sao until late in the night. Its good bonding time between all of the kung fu family. I think we are a little crazy too, but thats ok.

7sm

F

Fumanchu

Sevenstar,

With everyone fighting at once, like a brawl cool! I did think about that and thought it might be a little hard to judge. I though maybe you have small groups of 4 to 6 couples. But everyone fighting at once is beyond my wildest imagination.

No I'm not pissed with you. I have been happy to continue with the discussion. I don't mind having people disagreeing with me and would happily answer questions if I'm returned in kind.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rofl: yeah, ok.

No, not everyone fighting each other like a brawl....still missing it. Everyone fought only one other person at a time, but all the students fought at the same time.

7sm

C

canadiangirl09

Wow ! My friend told me about you and what ive read about youre soooooo cool! My friend and i think youre a good inspriation! Thanks!I wish you good luck (gl) for your test !!!!!

Canadian girl 09!

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
canadiangirl09 said:
Wow ! My friend told me about you and what ive read about youre soooooo cool! My friend and i think youre a good inspriation! Thanks!I wish you good luck (gl) for your test !!!!!

Canadian girl 09!

i'm her friend:iws: and good luck !

C

canadiangirl09

Okay i am not stupid and He is just jealous of me because im better ! hehe ! im kidding!! any way i wish you good luck and my friend is weird ! Canadian girl 09

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um...wow...ok, well thank you.

Its over now and I passed and am still alive. I just got back home from fighting again tonight with some of the beginner guys from other schools. Its good to get together with all these other guys and girls.

7sm

B

BIGtiny7SM

7Star,

Congratulations!

I too am aspiring to reach for Jow Ga level one. My road has become longer though. My job has taken me away from my Sifu, but I am returning home every couple of months to continue training with him. As well as, working own my own back at home. Admittedly not the fast route to my first test, but I'm determined to make it. Again, congratulations!

-BIGtiny

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
BIGtiny7SM,-Welcome to the board! Lots of Mantis students here, so feel free to start a thread, ask questions, whatever. Where are you from and who do you study with?

A---)

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, he was here before and trains under Sifu Jeff Hughes in Austin...yes?

thanks, bigtiny

7sm

Latest Discussions