Video Exchange

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, nothing new on the tan tui front? Well, I wouldn't be surprised since I couldn't dig up much info myself, but I thought maybe some others here would have other sources. While searching again though, I found this thread at another web board: http://www.cyberkwoon.com/new/viewtopic.php?t=13529. The first post has a link to a video with applications of tan tui routines and not the obvious punching and kicking stuff. I thought it was interesting, so others here might, too. But I had trouble seeing how the moves came from tan tui, maybe because it was 12 routine and not 10, I'm not sure. I thought I'd link to the thread there rather than the video directly since the thread has a bit of info and discussion you can look at as well.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the one. I named it a couple posts ago when I copied the songs out of it. There's another one I'd consider getting called something like The Power and Rhythm of Tan Tui, but I'm not sure it would be any closer to the routines we learned than the ones in the Ma Zhenbang book. FWIW, on the ymma.com web site, some old newsletters (which may or may not be currently available) had the first five tan tui routines posted in a "teacher's corner" section or something like that. IIRC, they looked almost identical to the ones we learned. Unfortunately, they never published the last five, apparently because the author changed schools. Too bad, because I really would have liked to seen the last five, too, and find out if they were the same as what we learned.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this until just now, when I was about to go to bed. It was quick enough to do though, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it now. A while back, I found pictures of one of our teacher's seniors (I think) performing the tan tui routines we learned. They're not every position we count, just some major ones, and each routine had some Chinese characters in the left border. I assume those are the names of the routines or some description of them. Can anyone read/translate Chinese? If so, maybe you can take a look at the picture of just the text at http://www.geocities.com/dronak/tantui_names.jpg and tell me what it says? Maybe if I have that, it will help clear up some of my confusion about how our routines relate to other versions of the same routines. Translations would be great, but I think I can work with transliterations if that's what people can do. Thanks in advance if you can help.

P.S. -- I may take that picture down or move it later. And hopefully the characters are readable because I can't really make out some of them. Maybe if you read Chinese you'll be able to tell what they are though.

I

InvisibleFist

I assume you're talking about the "explosive power" clips?

They're interesting. They may be fake, but I'm not sure they are. I wouldn't believe it until I felt it myself, however.

I played the clip with the sound off...he doesn't appear to do a damn thing other than yell.

I

Infrazael

I really like that Northern Longfist. Looks like a very very distant cousin of what CLF would be lol. . . . . . . .

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might want to add this to the new Video "sticky" thread so it wont be lost.

7sm

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
You might want to add this to the new Video "sticky" thread so it wont be lost.

7sm
I thought this is the one
im totally confused now!

haha.. i'll find it!

Latest Discussions