Jow Ga

B

BIGtiny7SM

That is correct 7Star. I have studied with Sifu Hughes for two years. I currently reside in Orlando. I was just home over Christmas and was fortunate enought to get alot of my Sifu's time. I plan to return to Austin this summer, I think that I am going to give up my job and take a run at being a full time assistant with my Sifu. It will be a big life change for me, but the only way, that I see, to make it to that next level. Until then I play my forms and work on the basics. I'm looking to get a heavy bag and work that side in out here as well. One thing I lack, is people to play chi sou wiith. I do have a taiji teacher out here and am planning to play with him as much as he'll let me =). Glad to be back.

-BIGtiny

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its over now and I passed and am still alive. I just got back home from fighting again tonight with some of the beginner guys from other schools. Its good to get together with all these other guys and girls.

Congrats! Sounds like I missed out on a good time. How did the Austin guys do?

I'm looking to get a heavy bag and work that side in out here as well.

BigTiny, I just bought a heavy bag + stand, and both Academy and Sam's have a pretty cheap deal on an Everlast bag + stand right now. $150.00 gets you a stand, 70 lb bag, and speed bag. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, and I like it a lot. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7Star,

Congratulations!

I know that had to be a long and tireing experence I hope you have some fond memories from it

B

BIGtiny7SM

Shadowchaser,

I saw that a sporting goods store here in Orlando has a stand on sale, looking at perhaps picking that up. My other option is going to a local muy thai gym that has a pretty open policy for coming in and getting bag work on your own. I think, though, that I would rather have something here at the house. We'll see, thanks for the advice, and I'll try not to highjack 7*'s thread anymore =)
-Bt

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
7Star,

Congratulations!

I know that had to be a long and tireing experence I hope you have some fond memories from it
Thanks, I do, it was really a great learning experience, so it was most deffinitly worth it.

7sm

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi
i am curious why your sifu calls this test "jow ga". do you practice any jow ga forms? you can look at my website under "dean chins jow ga" to see my list.

did you know that raymond fogg and me are brothers under late sifu dean chin? i didnt know him, because that was before my time, but i heard his name from other people in the family. also, if you see master chuck perry, tell him maurice gatdula says hi. i met him at his school in alexandria last year.

what forms do you do for the testings?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thekuntawman said:
hi
i am curious why your sifu calls this test "jow ga". do you practice any jow ga forms? you can look at my website under "dean chins jow ga" to see my list.

did you know that raymond fogg and me are brothers under late sifu dean chin? i didnt know him, because that was before my time, but i heard his name from other people in the family. also, if you see master chuck perry, tell him maurice gatdula says hi. i met him at his school in alexandria last year.

what forms do you do for the testings?
Well, my sifu didn't name it, its an exchange test, not a school test. They named it Jow Ga not in connection with any system, but supposedly jow ga is a term used by CMA and tranlsated means "disciple". Its a test to simply show your dedication and continued training to the system and the exchange.

I dont know Dean Chin, but I did see Sifu Chuck Perry this past weekend, but I dont see him much, only when he comes in for something big.

For this testing I did a form called Da Goon and a 7* Daggers form.

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that many. As far as 7* I'm learning #6 empty hand and I know a few misc and some weapons, and a few wah lum.

7sm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Finally learned all of Springy Legs, all 12 of the roads. One night a group of us were taught the last five roads, all in a row. That was a lot of info to digest in one class, but have since begun to refine it. Must practice when not at class, like now...at work...where its snowing heavily outside...lots of snow...for me, I guess the ultimate weapon is the Kwan-Do. I look forward to learning that weapon in the future. Seems like we have had a group of new people sign up recently. I remember Sifu saying that September was the time of year when the largest group of people sign up.

A---)

F

Fumanchu

Darksoul,

Where does the extra 2 roads of springy legs come from. There are supposed to be only 10. unless you're doing the ching woo version.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fumanchu said:
Darksoul,

Where does the extra 2 roads of springy legs come from. There are supposed to be only 10. unless you're doing the ching woo version.
There are many different sets and such from family to family (lineage). One lineage under LKW will do things one way, while Chiu Leun's lineage may do it a little different. Then there may be differences from Ho Yin Chung's lineage as well. Not really that one is right an one is wrong, just different.

7sm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
www.rochesterkungfu.com is the website of my Sifu's school. Which has a list of the praying mantis forms available under the class button. It doesn't have the Lee Kam Wing forms listed. But for our particular lineage, its 12 roads for Springy Legs.

A---)

J

j_m

Fumanchu said:
Darksoul,

There are many styles/systems that have a version of tan tui. Some have 10. Many have 12. Even Mizong has a 12 line tan tui.

"To this day, if you say you practice Tan Tui, those in the know will immediately ask "10 or 12?" Tan Tui is a popular set adopted by many styles and lent a special flavor by each. For instance, in one branch of mantis, there is a 14-road Tan Tui. With such popularity Tan Tui became one of the first universal kung-fu sets and therefore can claim a part as forerunner of contemporary wushu's standardized forms."

jm

I

Infrazael

Just curious, is the test limited to just other 7* schools???

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Just curious, is the test limited to just other 7* schools???
This is a test certified by the United States Kung Fu Federation, so it is limited to only schools within its membership, which coincidentally are all 7* (primarily) schools who have all trained under my Sigung, Raymond Fogg. The Kung Fu Exchange (as its called) was started by him in the 70's.

edit: These schools do span from California to New York to Texas

7sm

Latest Discussions