Usssa Tkd

G

Galvatron

It's been making the rounds quite a bit in the TKD world, but for anyone who doesn't know about it yet, the United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) has added Taekwondo to their roster of sanctioned sports.
A few high-level people from the AAU TKD program have jumped ship and are running the USSSA show.
They seem to have their junk together, and already have a set date and location for their first Nationals tournament.
They will have Continuous point sparring, and Olympic style sparring, in addition to more recognized forms (Such as Tang Soo Do/Moo Duk Kwan, and Tang Soo Do-UTF)
I personally am seriously considering competing within the USSSA this year.

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Home.asp?Sport=24

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck to you if you do...

I'm not the biggest on competition so none of these rules or organization shifts ever really affect me.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Galvatron said:
A few high-level people from the AAU TKD program have jumped ship and are running the USSSA show.
Actually, one or more may have been asked to leave the AAU program. For those who are already in the AAU and are thinking of doing the USSSA, why would you leave the AAU? I am not a AAU member-should I be?

Miles

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the AAU they seam to be where the USTU was in the early 90's. The one thing good thing membership fees are low. I am not too impressed with the quality though, but they are another avenue of competitive experience.

On the USSSA I think the jury is out. I've heard the same things, but normally I let hear say just raise my alert level. My biggest problems are normally with officiating and ability to get quality people to fill the mid-level referee positions.

OP
G

Galvatron

Miles said:
Actually, one or more may have been asked to leave the AAU program. For those who are already in the AAU and are thinking of doing the USSSA, why would you leave the AAU? I am not a AAU member-should I be?

Miles

I am an AAU member, and the reason why I'm competing in the USSSA is simple, they're having a qualifier in my city.
Jacksonville got the Super Bowl, but I can't remember the last time we had a sanctioned USTU OR AAU tournament here, much less one that actually matters (a qualifier).
So come April, instead of having to drive to Tampa, Miami, or Atlanta; I only have to drive across town.
The Florida state director for the USSSA also lives in my city, so there promises to be more tournaments in my area I'm sure.
:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Galvatron,

What attracted you to AAU?

Is there anything besides the location of the USSSA tournament which makes that organization attractive?

Miles

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A question, how or who gives the authority to "sports organizations" to qualify people for Dan Rankings? Just because a group of people, who are unrelated to the martial arts, decides to add a TKD section to their stable, does that mean they are now qualified to do so? At least the USTU was TKD only and started from qualified trained people in TKD, who were certified by their peers. To me, this just looks like another get in on the cash cow ploy. Just another cog in the political mess that is Olympic style TKD.

OP
G

Galvatron

I don't compete much, I mainly coach, and for the kids that I coach, I want to get them the best experience at the best price. Not many of my students (I teach out of a YMCA) can fork over the kind of $$$ to travel to USTU tournaments, and then pay triple-digit entry fees on top that.
The AAU provides a most "cost effective" method of attending tournaments.
As for the USSSA, I'm going to start competing again, and as I said it's primarily a matter of location. Also, I personally know the Florida State Director for the USSSA, and he's an honest person that genuinely cares about giving the athletes the best possible experience they can have.
I think that the USSSA program is best for myself and my students.
Time will tell...
:ultracool

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
A question, how or who gives the authority to "sports organizations" to qualify people for Dan Rankings? Just because a group of people, who are unrelated to the martial arts, decides to add a TKD section to their stable, does that mean they are now qualified to do so? At least the USTU was TKD only and started from qualified trained people in TKD, who were certified by their peers. To me, this just looks like another get in on the cash cow ploy. Just another cog in the political mess that is Olympic style TKD.
First off everybody that started the USTU was not certified as TKD'ers and to answer your question either the ITF or USTU, they just use the Kukkiwon for certification. Just like the USSSA will do. Please know facts before blanket statement and I do nor belong to the USSSA

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First off everybody that started the USTU was not certified as TKD'ers and to answer your question either the ITF or USTU, they just use the Kukkiwon for certification. Just like the USSSA will do. Please know facts before blanket statement and I do nor belong to the USSSA

Excuse me!, the USTU was started by the Korean Instructors and their senior students. Some add on personel such as office staff were not TKD practicioners.
The AAU, USTU and the USSSA all have THEIR OWN DAN CERTIFICATIONS......Nothing from the Kukkiwon. Don't believe me, go check their web sites. As for blanket statements, perhaps someone should research before blurting out that someone else dosen't know what their talking about.

OP
G

Galvatron

Brad Dunne said:
A question, how or who gives the authority to "sports organizations" to qualify people for Dan Rankings? Just because a group of people, who are unrelated to the martial arts, decides to add a TKD section to their stable, does that mean they are now qualified to do so?

The USSSA program was not started by people who are unrelated to the martial arts. It was started by people who were previously involved with the AAU Taekwondo program. They broke off (or were asked to leave depending who's story you go with), and approached the USSSA about sanctioning the TKD organization they were starting.

Any organization related to TKD is going to have to have a Dan certification program of their own, as it is a violation of federal law (the ted stevens amateur sports act) to require a United States amateur athlete to be registered with the government of a foreign country (which is what a Kukkiwon certificate is). That law is the reason why competitors inside the U.S.A. are no longer required to have a kukkiwon in order to compete domestically (international competition is another matter).

The USSSA will go through a domestic Kukkiwon Dan-account holder to obtain KKW certification for athletes who make their team and compete internationally, just as the AAU does.
The USTU, being the NGB for the US, is authorized to directly issue KKW certificates for any U.S. resident applying for one

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The USSSA program was not started by people who are unrelated to the martial arts. It was started by people who were previously involved with the AAU Taekwondo program. They broke off (or were asked to leave depending who's story you go with), and approached the USSSA about sanctioning the TKD organization they were starting.

Thank you for validating the prior position. Why did these AAU folks have to go and seek another venue to align with? Perhaps they felt compelled to represent the athletes on a more equitable basis, but I personally think it was to attempt to make money. If my assumption is wrong then I offer an open apology, but I don't think I'm wrong.

As for having to have their own dan certification program, why? All they need to do is honor certificates that people already have. Is it mandatory to have their certification to be involved in their competition? If it's not, then why would anyone need their certification. There's plenty of TKD organizations already, do we really need another one with their hand out? Just my viewpoint on the subject, nothing more.

OP
G

Galvatron

They do honor current dans. Getting a Dan through them is NOT required to compete, coach, or officiate. In that regard I am in complete agreement with you, there is little point in getting one (I won't be). I think that the point of the Dan program is to give organizational backing to independent schools that don't have an outside source to validate their dan certificates.
As for why they parted with the AAU, I am not qualified to say why, as I don't know. I can't speak for them.
Is it to make more money? I'm sure that has at least something to do it with it, we do live in a capitalist society. However, it presents another option for athletes, and in my opinion; options are always good....and in my case it's a lot more convenient.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:

Excuse me!, the USTU was started by the Korean Instructors and their senior students. Some add on personel such as office staff were not TKD practicioners.
The AAU, USTU and the USSSA all have THEIR OWN DAN CERTIFICATIONS......Nothing from the Kukkiwon. Don't believe me, go check their web sites. As for blanket statements, perhaps someone should research before blurting out that someone else dosen't know what their talking about.
Yes they where started by the Korean instructors, but the AAU does there own Ranking and the USTU uses the Kukkiwon for Certification That is there almighty catch phrase only through us do you have proper certification, although that is for the sport aspect. Remember those ITF people or just forgat to mention them. I'm through the WTF and my son is too but any organization can say what ever and it be true, too many rules too many ego's and far too many Mc Dojo's. God Bless and that's all folks

OP
G

Galvatron

The AAU has their own Dan ranking program, although you can get KKW certification through the AAU, as they have people who have Dan accounts and will process KKW applications. I know this as fact because I'm friends with someone who was on the AAU team for two years, and get her KKW through the AAU (for international competition).
USA Taekwondo (formerly the USTU) uses the Kukkiwon for certification, but they are not required. You can compete within USAT so long as you have a black belt from ANY TKD school. The AAU is similar, in that you do not have to have an AAU dan (or KKW) to compete.
I've seen you mention the ITF a couple of times, but I'm not quite following what point you're trying to get across concerning the ITF. Could you elaborate on that a little?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Galvatron said:
The AAU has their own Dan ranking program, although you can get KKW certification through the AAU, as they have people who have Dan accounts and will process KKW applications. I know this as fact because I'm friends with someone who was on the AAU team for two years, and get her KKW through the AAU (for international competition).
USA Taekwondo (formerly the USTU) uses the Kukkiwon for certification, but they are not required. You can compete within USAT so long as you have a black belt from ANY TKD school. The AAU is similar, in that you do not have to have an AAU dan (or KKW) to compete.
I've seen you mention the ITF a couple of times, but I'm not quite following what point you're trying to get across concerning the ITF. Could you elaborate on that a little?

I'm fairly certain that the AAU does not certify through the Kukkiwon as per their rules (see website under Dan Certification). I believe what you are refering to, is the ability of a Kukkiwon 5th Dan to directly petition the Kukikwon instead of using the NGB's authority/ability to process the dan certificate and getting co-certification through the Kukkiwon. This really means that just because an instructor has 7th Dan in the AAU they may or may not have an equivalent Kukkiwon certificate. Long and short of this is unless you have a Kukkiwon 1st Dan you may not be able to be included in tournaments which are used in the Olympic selection process. If Miles checks in he is probably more authoritative on this.

To my knoweldge there is no ITF/Kukkikwon dan agreement yet, even though talks have been underway.

Latest Discussions