USATKD senior nationals - once before I'm 40.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, the purpose of this post is not to brag or anything..mostly I'm doing this so that I don't wuss out.

I've decided that I want to try competing at nationals at least once before I'm 40. The last couple of years, the head coach of our competition team has done so and has really enjoyed the expereince. I really got caught up in the excitement this year coaching myh daughter as well.

I figure, if I start training for that goal now I should be in good shape next summer. So I'm saying to all of you that, starting today, I'm going to put together a training "road map." I'm going to continue my strength training and significantly increase my cardio work (my weak area). I'm going to find a way to consistently make it to sparring class (it's currently scheduled at a bad time for me...that'll require some shifting of things).

I'm thinking the corssfit workouts for cardio/strength. I'm going to see if I can get another sparring class scheduled with some of the other big guys at a time that's better for me and my schedule.

All I ask of you all at MT is to occassionally call me out on my plans...don't let my sorry butt off the hook. I really need to do this...my training lately has been flat and that's because I don't have a concrete goal to work towards (other than intermediate bb tests for then next 18 months or so...not working for me at the moment). I know once I buy into my plans things will go smoothly...but I also know that getting into the swing of things...especially one that needs so much work and adjustment is going to be hard.

So, that's it. Thanks in advance for your help, advice and support.

Peace,
Erik

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You got it, Erik. Keep us posted on how your training is coming and we'll do our best to keep you motivated.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blue,

Can you fine a nother place that will let you spar?

Or can you put an ad in some paper or on gym boards lookiing for a workout buddy or sparring buddy? I've had shooting buddies and martial arts workout buddies and they are a huge help in increasing skills.

Workout as much as you can. Get Benny 'The Jets' book on how to train. I've got it and it's real good.

Deaf

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was talking with the head coach of teh comp team. He told me to bring my pads to comp team practice (season should start up again in September) and we can spar together with the older guys ( acouple 16-17 y.o).

I'm also going to work on making more of those night classes. The biggest problem is the class doesn;t start until 8;00 at night...I'm usually wipoed from a full day of work, helping the wife with our 5 kids (3 with special needs). When I do go, I find the adrenaline rush keeps awake really late and I'm dragging the next day at work. Not to mention various random activities that seem to want to crop up on my Wednesday nights. I make it at least once a month, but usually no more than 2. I'm going to shoot for a solid 2-3 times a month. As well as working out on Saturdays (that's inaddition to regular class...though the sparring is just not as intesne and is more SD focused and less competition based).

Thanks for the support. I'll tyr out my first crossfit workout tomorrow. I'll post the results once I stop puking :)

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Erik just remember one thing you ask for this and I will be watching everyday. Best of luck.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Terry :) I know I asked for this and I did so to keep me motivated.

Went and did my first crossfit workout today (ouch...lotsa pullups and dips). Could only do the puppy level workout, but I gotta styart somewhere.

I'll be running through and practicing forms later this afternoon when I go to clean the dojang.

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Terry :) I know I asked for this and I did so to keep me motivated.

Went and did my first crossfit workout today (ouch...lotsa pullups and dips). Could only do the puppy level workout, but I gotta styart somewhere.

I'll be running through and practicing forms later this afternoon when I go to clean the dojang.

Peace,
Erik

you know if I can get under 185 I will be competing as well so we maybe up against each other. I have not competed in a few year with all my health issue. I hope all the old BB take it easy on me. What is the crossfit program by the way. Kick me in the *** anytime.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck to you - that's a quite a goal, but if you take it one day at a time, you'll be able to do it.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry - Crossfit is a well-regarded, someone crazy , very intense excercise program aimed at the sort of things elite atheletes (especially combat athletes) need. Combines elements of weight training, gymnastic training, and cardio. Random workouts, 3 days on 1 day off. Short intense workouts. Thankfully, one of their affiliates (BrandX) scale down the workouts to lesser fitness levels.

Check it out at www.crossfit.com

Peace,
Erik

P.S. And thank oyu all for your well wishes. I'll keep posting here as I progress on this goal.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Erik (and others)

For those who have not seen or heard yet, here is the schedule of USAT events for 09 that lead up to Natls:

===
US OPEN
FEB. 12-15, 2009
LAS VEGAS, NV

NATIONAL QUALIFIER #1
MAR. 28-29, 2009
KISSIMMEE, FL

NATIONAL QUALIFIER #2
APR. 18-19, 2009
BUFFALO, NY

NATIONAL QUALIFIER #3
APR. 25-26, 2009
AUSTIN, TX

NATIONAL QUALIFIER #4
MAY 9-10, 2009
SAN JOSE, CA

NATIONAL QUALIFIER #5
MAY 16-17, 2009
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

JO/SR NATIONALS
JUNE 30 - JULY 5, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
===

Good luck to you and all the others with similar goals to you.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck! I've competed in 2 senior nationals (at age 38 and 39) and had a great time. The comraderie was something I will always treasure.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the support. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brief update. I've completed 1 week of my new training regime. It's raelly different from what I was doing and I'm aching again :(. However, that's probably a good thing. I
ll give it a goo dmonth before I decide to change up anything.

Comp team starts up on 9/13. I'll work some extra sparring with the coaches there. Onward and upwards :)

Peace,
Erik

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good luck and best wishes to you!

You say 'before you're forty'; how far to go until forty?

I'm starting to compete again for the first time in years, though I never went to nationals (just local stuff) and I'm already over forty.

Daniel

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 37 now and will be 38 1/2 come nationals. I figure I'll get more out of my training if I've got a more concrete goal than "the next belt test."

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time for another quick update. It's been almost a month since I started working my okan and I think I'v emade some progress. The corssfit workout seems to be helping with the cardio. I find I can run longer and I'm getting less easily winded in regular class...still got a ways to go.

I'm putting up bigger numbers in the gym as fa r as weights are concerned, just have to continue to work on translating newfound strength into explosive power and speed.

Yesterday I had another belt test. My examiner decided to really put me through my paces. Had to do a 1 minute "instant creation" self defense demo...started out with instructor trying to put on a grab or hold and I'd strike, lock and throw...about 20 seconds in he ramped up the intenisty until we were going full bore in a no holds barred sparring match. We did this for about 3 minutes. I came THIS close [hold thumb and forefinger close together] to meeting pukey.

Wwe followed that up with a few rounds of grappling...agaimn, this guy has about 20 or so pounds on me...I held my own but that's about it. Again, better cardio...still got a ways to go.

After the test was the first comp team class. I participated in the class warmup and most of the drills (had to stop frequently to coach and correct...lots of new young team members this year). After lots of movement and kicking drills we padded up. I sparred the other coach and some of the higher belts. Didn't do as well as I'd like (need more speed dangit), but didn't do as bad as i figured I'd do. Sparring the young kids though I looked like I was styanding still while they were filmned with a stop motion camera :D

I now have about 6 new bruises (left elbow got dinger, 2 on each shin form my pads sliping, 1 on top of right foot), and my shoulders are killing me. In about 2 hours I'm headed to the gym for another workout.

I just keep reminding myself that this is good for me. I can tell 'cause it hurts. :p

Also, sparring calss is getting moved to a time and night I can make it more often...so, another problem solved.

Peace,
Erik

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Erik, sounds like you are sticking to your plan and getting better. Have you changed your eating or sleeping habits?

Latest Discussions