USATKD senior nationals - once before I'm 40.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sleepign habits are pretty good, I go to bed anytime between 10:00 and 11:00 and wake up at 6:00 AM. Ocassiopnally I get wierd bouts of insomnia here and there but usuallty only for a night or two. I generally wake up rested and ready to go.

I've been gradually changing my eating habits for the better over the years. I still tend to fall foul of sweets when stressed though (an all to common state for me lately). I'm looking to the zone diet as the next step. Not so much to control calories, but to balance out my intake of macronutrients and maybe control the carb cravings. I've got to plan out a couple of weeks worth of meals and then give it a go and see if I get the energy boost and weight loss as claimed.

If I can shed 10-20 pounds that would be ideal. Certainly doable in the next 10 months or so.

Peace,
Erik

slingblade01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I envy you.

I wish I had that kind of time to train for tournaments again.

Good luck

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep up the fine training me I am doing great as well. I should be around 190 by the time seniors come this year.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep up the fine training me I am doing great as well. I should be around 190 by the time seniors come this year.
Excellent! I don't think I'll be quite that svelte...I'd be happy with 220. Anything under 210 would be a bonus.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update: training got sidelined for a week and a half due to an odd injury. Went to bed the other night feeling fine...it was a day off from all physical acticity too. Woke up with a crick in my neck. Typically, this goes away once I get moving...this time it didn't. After a few days this literal pain in my neck (wouldn't respond to Advil, tiger balm, heat, etc...restricted range of motion in neck and shoulder) went to the doc. Turns out I had a bad muscle spasm. A few days on muscle relaxers did the trick and now I'm nostly pain free.

back to training this past week, but still some lingerin g weakness in the right shoulder (I guess it was worn out from constant contraction).

Was able to get back to sparring. Got a nice co mpliment from the head comp eam coach. He says I fight differently from everyone else in the adulty class...I tend to move forward and slip to teh side when attacked where others retreat. It's forcing him to think more and adapt his sparring. I think that's good. I just like to jam attacks to shut them down so I have time to counter. I'm too slow otherwise. :)

Weight down to 238 the other day. :)

Also learned poomse Keumgang. I know some folks at our school find the form broing...I like it though. it challenges my balance and lets me show off my strength and power.

Peace,
Erik

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad you're back to normal, so to speak! Had the same thing happen to me about a month and a half ago. I kept training, though I did get permission from GM Kim to suspend rolls and falls in hapkido. Never did go to the doctor and it eventually went away.

Good job on the weight!

Daniel

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also learned poomse Keumgang. I know some folks at our school find the form broing...I like it though. it challenges my balance and lets me show off my strength and power.

Peace,
Erik

A great form! I just started reading this thread today. I must say I am excited for you. Your words about the SD free-styling painted a great picture of the event in my mind, Heck it got me excited! Keep up the training. I know you know....there is NO success without "try" first. Then sacrifices! Good luck Erik

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your at critical point in training/over-training you may need to vary your training to prevent over-training. Things you can do additional rest, change of work out, and active rest but it sounds like your body is informing you it needs a change so that it catch up. This is just guess from someone has over-trained to many times (Yes, I love cashing checks that my didn't want to pay).

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crossfit is great but it does have an element of technical expertise and specialized equipment that not all people are willing to invest the time in ("O" style lifts are not something you "dabble" in). For a similar style training with a more "garage style" approach look at rosstraining.com.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You may want to schedule some pre-tournament experience like state/qualifier in a larger pool like California, Colorado or Texas. I take it you mean your fighting the Senior National 18-32. Fighting with the kids is a different experience since alot of them don't go to work soon after the fight.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your at critical point in training/over-training you may need to vary your training to prevent over-training. Things you can do additional rest, change of work out, and active rest but it sounds like your body is informing you it needs a change so that it catch up. This is just guess from someone has over-trained to many times (Yes, I love cashing checks that my didn't want to pay).

too true. I generally take a week off every 4-6 weeks. I was just about due for a break and got one a little earlier than planned :)

I think the extar hard tetsing falling on a rest day did me no favors. I do try to listen to my body as I'm interested more in the health benefits of this training than winning a medal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crossfit is great but it does have an element of technical expertise and specialized equipment that not all people are willing to invest the time in ("O" style lifts are not something you "dabble" in). For a similar style training with a more "garage style" approach look at rosstraining.com.

I'm familiar with Ross Enamait's stuff...I have one of his earlier books. Right now the crossfit stuff is working for me...I'm familiar with the O-lifts from my previous weight lifting training. If I find what I'm doing is not doing the trick for me, I'll switch to other stuff (including the stuff at rosstraining.com). As long as I'm continuing to build strength as well as anaerobic endurance...I figure I'm good. As things progress closer to next summer, my plan is to change my routines grandually to become more sport specific. Right now is the time to train generally fro strength speed and endurance and shore up my base.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may want to schedule some pre-tournament experience like state/qualifier in a larger pool like California, Colorado or Texas. I take it you mean your fighting the Senior National 18-32. Fighting with the kids is a different experience since alot of them don't go to work soon after the fight.

I'm planning on fighting in the USAT tournament in San Antonio next July. I'm going to try to hit some smaller local tournaments along the way. The problem is a lot of the local ones don't have a lot of adults competing. Also, work and economic factors will prevent me from travelling too far out of the NJ, PA, NY region.

In any event, I think I'll be in the next bracket up from the 18-32 guys given my age. I won't be fighting the young bucks thankfully. I'll be solidly in the slow-folks group :). SHould be fun and I aim to be competitve (last at least one whole fight and not get gapped). Anything above that will be gravy.

Peace,
Erik

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Ross Enamait's stuff...I have one of his earlier books. Right now the crossfit stuff is working for me...I'm familiar with the O-lifts from my previous weight lifting training. If I find what I'm doing is not doing the trick for me, I'll switch to other stuff (including the stuff at rosstraining.com). As long as I'm continuing to build strength as well as anaerobic endurance...I figure I'm good. As things progress closer to next summer, my plan is to change my routines grandually to become more sport specific. Right now is the time to train generally fro strength speed and endurance and shore up my base.

Peace,
Erik

If you know the O-lifts than yeah Crossfit is good stuff. I picked up a set of power rings myself. Cant do a muscle-up yet, but the dips/push-ups etc are "fun".

I mix in a 100 burpee challenge about once a week or so too..cant reccommend that one enough. Every once and a while I like to breakout of the normal "routine" and do something "oddball" like hump an 80lb ruck around the block..throw a kettlebell for distance in the backyard..the burpee challenge etc.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
So far I'm enjoying that crossfitting is having a definite improvement ot myh overall strength and even more so to my metabolic conditioning. I've already hti new personal records on my major lifts and am less winded during sparring and other c-v intesive workouts at the dojang.

I can't say I'm in love with it enough to do extra yet...hell I'm so new that each WOD is a new surprise. haven't really repeated anything yet. :)

I do enjoy the odd looks I get at the YMCA as i grunt, sweat and suck wind through the workouts though. They just don't knwo what to do with me. :D

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have some great tournaments up in New York the state association there does about five or six events a year and always have adults.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we were looking at one in October, but it's a no go as too may other team members can't make it. Ah well. NO worries, everything will work out in due time I'm sure.

I just found out our dojang is doing an 8 week boxing seminar with a local pro boxer. I'm going ot sign up...sounds like fun. can't jab to the face, but I can work on my hooks to the body. Punch off anyone wishing to clinch...right into my kicking range.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions