Conditioning in prep for BB

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm looking to tap into the experience of the instructors and other high ranking folks at MT.

My question is, should I stop my outside conditioning prior to my BB test? If so, when should I do it?

On June 1, I'm scheduled to take my 1st dan test. I was originally supposed to do this back in October, but an ACL injury put me out. I'm now back and doing pretty well in training. I've got 8 weeks to get myself in as good physical shape as possible. Back before the original test, I was hitting the weights 3 times a week and working on building my cardio (my weakest area admittedly). After my srugery, weights and cardio became a HUGE part of my recovery

Currently I left 3 times a week with 15-20 minutes of cardio prior to the lifting. I also do calss 3 times a week and heavy bag work (for anaerobic conditioning, since I can't spart yet) on my off days. I figure I'll be in good shape. Some folks at my gym recommend taking a week or two off from extra training to avoid injury and allowing one ot be fresh for the test. Others say to work up until the test (maybe dropping the intensity a bit). What do you recommend to your students? What worked for you?

My goals are to 1) pass the test. 2) Do so as well as possible (generally my TKD falls in the not pretty to look at but pretty effective school :D ) 3) do 1 & 2 without getting seriously injured or re-injured.

Peace,
Erik

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to tap into the experience of the instructors and other high ranking folks at MT.

My question is, should I stop my outside conditioning prior to my BB test? If so, when should I do it?

On June 1, I'm scheduled to take my 1st dan test. I was originally supposed to do this back in October, but an ACL injury put me out. I'm now back and doing pretty well in training. I've got 8 weeks to get myself in as good physical shape as possible. Back before the original test, I was hitting the weights 3 times a week and working on building my cardio (my weakest area admittedly). After my srugery, weights and cardio became a HUGE part of my recovery

Currently I left 3 times a week with 15-20 minutes of cardio prior to the lifting. I also do calss 3 times a week and heavy bag work (for anaerobic conditioning, since I can't spart yet) on my off days. I figure I'll be in good shape. Some folks at my gym recommend taking a week or two off from extra training to avoid injury and allowing one ot be fresh for the test. Others say to work up until the test (maybe dropping the intensity a bit). What do you recommend to your students? What worked for you?

My goals are to 1) pass the test. 2) Do so as well as possible (generally my TKD falls in the not pretty to look at but pretty effective school :D ) 3) do 1 & 2 without getting seriously injured or re-injured.

Peace,
Erik

I don't know how different a TKD test is from what a Kenpo test is like, but I'll try to offer some suggestions. :)

Weight lifting is a good thing, so you don't have to stop doing that. I would however, make sure that you're cautious. In other words, don't lift so heavy that you risk pulling a muscle. At least a week prior, I'd suggest not lifting. Usually a 1st degree test is the most physical one, so I'd also make sure to focus on lots of pushups and situps. Usually I do my cardio at the end of my lifting workout. In any case, don't slow down on that. I used to incorporate various things into the workout. For example: I'd pick a day to run thru forms. I'd do my first form, drop down and do 10 pushups, stand up, drop back down and do 10 crunches. Stand back up and move onto your next form. 10 may not seem like a big number, but it adds up with all of the katas! :) By the time I was done, I was exhausted!

The week before, I would usually take it easy. I'd still run thru material, but at a slower pace. The day before I would do nothing! I would mentally and physically rest. Make sure you get pleanty of rest and eat good, with pleanty of fluids. The day of the test, don't eat anything heavy. For breakfast, I'd usually eat waffles or pancakes. Of course, make sure you allow time to digest. If you feel the need to eat anything I'd keep it simple, like an apple. Also, don't drink too much before the test. If you get a water break in between testing, don't over drink. If anything, just take a small sip or rinse your mouth.

I hope this was a help. :)

Good luck on the test and let us know how it goes!:ultracool

Mike

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outside of working on forms & technique a lot, I would encourage cardio. Run at least 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes at a 9-10 minute mile pace. I've never been much for lifting weights, myself. But even folks who do would see this recommendation for cardio to be a good idea.

I wish the best in your training!

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with Iceman about the cardio. I hit the elliptical trainer pretty hard starting 5 months out for my BB test. It's one of those tests that feels like a marathon so I didn't want to run out of gas. I knew my physical strength was where I wanted it, but I wanted to ensure I could "go all day" stamina wise. There are many ways to go about it on the elliptical. Some days I would do the "slow and steady " pace for a long time, then the next time I would do "timed sprints" where I would go hard for a minute, slow for a minute off and on. Seemed to help, I still felt like I'd been hit by a truck at the end of the day, but that's to be expected.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cardio and more Cardio. What is required for your BB test?
I would also speand enough time on your one steps and SD. Poomsae are usually keeped right till the end, the only other thing is start to leave the wieghts alone a week prior to the test give the muscle time to relaxe.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our school the black belt test is a pretty closely guarded secret, and generally runs 8 to 10 hours (there's no written part). It starts with pushups, somewhere between 100 and 200, depending on the mood of the tester and what number they feel might kill you ;) Then come situps, 200 to 300, again depending on how many you look like you can do.
So, I'd try and get to 150 pushups and 250 situps back to back between now and then, if you aren't there already.

jim

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
jim777, I'm sorry, I tried to resist and I failed so I have to ask. What the heck does push ups and sit ups have to do with a black belt test? If some one attacks you are you supposed to empress them with how many you can do? Can you split them up between sit ups and push ups or are you limited to which ever one you started out with? Just curious, thanks. OH! If you don't have a good answer, no reflection on your part, please ask your instructor for me, I really am very very curious about this. Thanks.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have increased my cardio workout since my surgery. At this point I'm doing 20 minutes on the elliptcal traininer or bike prior to lifting. I've also added rounds of heavy bag work and/or skipping on my light days.

While I appreciate the advice to do more running...it ain't gonna happen :D I HATE running...never been good at it and it's not something that I'll be able to stick to. I'll do more bike riding as the weather gets nicer. Again, on my not lifting days.

It sounds like some folks are basically recommending I ease up a week or so prior to the test, but don;t stop conditioning completely...I can do that. As for my test, it's not an 8-10 hour ordeal...probably a couple of hours. High intesnity activies interspersed with lower intensity acitivies...really hitting my anaerobic conditioning may be key for me.

As for what I have to do...I have to do 4 prescribed kicking combo techniques, then poomse...probably have to do all the taeguks and koryo...maybe not all the taeguks if the panel is feel generous. Then we go to dive tumbling...I have to dive over 5 kneeling targets, then 3 waist high targets. then we do our 10 1 steps punch sparring and 10 self defense techniques, 3 knife defense techniques (all paired excercises). Then we have to do at least 60 seconds of high intensity creation self-defense (uke attacks in any random fashion...deal with as I feel necessary). We then do 2 on 1 sparring. This is followed by grappling (from two different positions with submissions). We then do breaking (flying side kick, flying roundhouse, jumping front kick over head height, hammer fist through concrete block). Then it's physical skills (25 pushups and 50 "rowing excercises"...a sit up where you pull your knees to your chest as you do a crunch). this is followed by questions from the panel.

That's the whole thing.

I figure I'll have the long-term cardio to do this...I'm more concerned about the anaerobic conditiong to deal with the sparring and grappling. Thus the heavy nag and skipping rounds. Just gotta watch my knee as I don't want to blow it out again.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback.

Peace,
Erik

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Something you absolutely need to do for your test:

Stand out from the others. If others are scheduled to test, it is imperative you draw attention to yourself. There are two ways you can do this-either with very good or very bad technique. Obviously the way you want is to have crisper form, better concentration, more accuracy, better steps, and a better break than everyone else.
The best way to do that is separate yourself periodically from everything else, pick something (kicking, forms, basics etc.) and train intensely for a set time. Don't try to practice everything. Pick something and attack it.
When I trained for testing, I always set aside time after my regular workout for some aspect of Tae Kwon Do-form, basics, kicking etc. When the time came, I was as ready as I was going to be.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something you absolutely need to do for your test:

Stand out from the others. If others are scheduled to test, it is imperative you draw attention to yourself. There are two ways you can do this-either with very good or very bad technique. Obviously the way you want is to have crisper form, better concentration, more accuracy, better steps, and a better break than everyone else.
The best way to do that is separate yourself periodically from everything else, pick something (kicking, forms, basics etc.) and train intensely for a set time. Don't try to practice everything. Pick something and attack it.
When I trained for testing, I always set aside time after my regular workout for some aspect of Tae Kwon Do-form, basics, kicking etc. When the time came, I was as ready as I was going to be.

:) This won't be a problem...I'll be the oldest guy testing (I'm 36...the next oldest person is 14), I'll be the biggest (at 6'2" and 240 lbs). I'll have the power and technique...I'm working on regaining the balance and crispness one the side where my right leg is my plant leg as that's still shaky since my surgery. I've made a lot of gains though and it's feeling a LOT more stable than when I first started back training. I'm confident that'll be good enough come June 1...I'm hoping ot have my technique, conditioning, and balance/power/copmfidence peaking that day.

Peace,
Erik

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jim777, I'm sorry, I tried to resist and I failed so I have to ask. What the heck does push ups and sit ups have to do with a black belt test? If some one attacks you are you supposed to empress them with how many you can do? Can you split them up between sit ups and push ups or are you limited to which ever one you started out with? Just curious, thanks. OH! If you don't have a good answer, no reflection on your part, please ask your instructor for me, I really am very very curious about this. Thanks.

No idea, but the number of pushups and situps goes up with every test at my school. I guess they don't want people who are basically out of shape getting belts because they can kick or memorize patterns.
And no, you usually do about 140 pushups on the BB test, then over on your back for the situps; no breaks, no 50/50/50... kind of thing. Whatever they ask for you do, until they tell you to stop. And you have to count them out, out loud in Korean as well.
By the book, Black is 100 pushups/200 situps. They can ask for as many as they please.
High red is 95/175
Red- 85/150
High Blue- 75/125
Blue - 65/100

etc.

Again, $16 a month is what this school charges, and the ratio of instructors to students in the adult class is 1 to 1. 5 years or so from white to Black Belt. It's a little odd, granted, but it certainly seems like a great school to me. It's like a family, seriously.

jim

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, like I said, I was just curious. Sounds like you have a good school and if you are happy there I wouldn't change it.

To bluekey, my answer is no. Don't stop your outside conditioning. You're instructors job is to teach you the Martial Arts, it should be up to you to be in shape to learn what he has to offer. Every one of my serious players, and a lot of the not so serious, train on their own outside the school. If they want to get to where I plan to take them a couple days a week isn't going to cut it. Heck, I'm not going anywhere, except to maybe get another beer and I train 5 days a week minimum. I do cardio every day, weights twice a week, and do forms and sparring 2/4 times a week, depending on whats hurting or broken.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Wade. At testing, being in shape to do the required techniques is up to you. Now granted, the judges can and will take certain aspects of your fitness level into account (age, health, flexibility etc.). They would not make a 50 year old man do the same level as a 22 year old man. However, each is responsible for his own level of fitness. When testing starts, you either can do the required martial arts techniques or you cannot.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
NO worries. I am in shape for the test and intend to be in tip top shape come June 1. My real question was if it would be wise to ease up on or stop the conditioning prior to the test to give my body a chance to be fresh and/or avoid injuries? It seems the advice is not to stop, but to ease up on the heavy duty stuff (heavy lifting for example) a week or so prior.

I'm already working with some of the black belts on the face to face stuff so that'llbe in good shape. I;ve been running forms and the like daily since well before my injury (after injury, ran everything mentally...many times a day).

Thanks all for the advice and I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions