USATKD senior nationals - once before I'm 40.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks TX_BB, I've forwarded this on to our head coach.

Peace,
Erik

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am glad to be of service. Check the USA Taekwondo website for qualifier information, also check the AAU website for proximal tournaments.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time to update again.

I'm continuing with crossfit and it's paying dividends. I'm starting to see repeats of workouts so now i can compare current performance with past performance.

I did a workout that involved doing 30 pullups, 50 pushups, 50 situps and 50 squats. I nailed that in 6:08...compared to doing that same workout (only with 30 situps due to being sore) in 8:54. All my lifts have gtone up even though i don't lift as frequently either.

Last week I got down to 230# with 19.8% bodyfat. Over the course of the week i was a littel bummed as the scale was creeping up again...i was up to about 234. however when i got a chance to check bodyfat I'm at 18.4%...doing the math, that's a 4lb gain in lean muscle...woot!

I've had several chances to spar. I'm getting faster, but need to work on using my angle sbetter when I'm tired. I tend to go straight in more when I'm tired. I got rocked by some good bnack kicks the other day (one took me clean off my feet) because I didn't cut to the side as much as I thought I was.

I started taking an 8 week long boxing seminar. two classes so far. It's fascinating. I learned how to jab cross, hook and uppercut back in the day, but never really worked with a pro boxer before. His handspeed is INSANE. he was throwing gentle jabs at me...I couldn't see them. I could tell he punched from the way his weight shifted...couldn't track his hands with my eyes. Serious SD implications there. Good thing I know how to adjust my gaurd as necessary :D

Finally, for anyone looking to improve fitness and nutrition...i;ve found a wonderful new free resource.

I'm now using a website to track my food intake, activities, weight, body dimensions, modd, etc. www.fitday.com

It's free. they have a masive database of foods and let your create your own custom stuff. it'll track calories, macronutrients, etc. You can put in activities and it'll track calories burned. You can chart your mood, weight, body dimensions, etc day to day. It'll save this info and let you keep track of how things change. Even let you print out various comparison reports.

It was a real eye opener. I was feelign crappy and I thought I was eating too much...turns out I was not eating enough. I was able to work in some extar protein (and now i've gained a quick 4lbs of muscle :) ) and i feel much better. It's a fantastic resource.

Best thing is that my wife gave me a hug yesterday and she said my body felt like it used ti when we first met (when I was 18)...thing is I'm stronger now than i was then.

That's all for now.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I wouldn't go so far as to say everything is going my way...but the training is going well :) I save the other stuff for my therapist :D

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I wouldn't go so far as to say everything is going my way...but the training is going well :) I save the other stuff for my therapist :D

Peace,
Erik

Ok you do that
icon10.gif

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Time to update again...

Best thing is that my wife gave me a hug yesterday and she said my body felt like it used ti when we first met (when I was 18)...thing is I'm stronger now than i was then.

Congratulations bluekey88, keep up the good work.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time for another update. On a negative note, my training has been more psradic. Illness (mine and others in my famnily) along with scheduling conlficts at home and at work have given me a couple weeks this month where I couldn't get to the gym for crossfit training. I'm still getting to sparring class and techniques class though. Hopefully people will get better, schedules will settel down after the holidays and I can get back into a groove.

I'm looking ot take my Winter 1 intermediate test on 12/13. Then Winter 2 in a few months...then I'll be on track for my 2nd dan test sometime in the Summer or Fall (depending on how other things go).

Finally, the here's the most EXCITING thing to happen to me in my MA career since my BB test. I've been doing this 8 week boxing seminar. It's been a lot of fun and realy helped me with my cinditioning, footwork and the like. Tonight, the instructor brought his friend over, former world champ Calvini "Silky Smooth" Groves.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Ken/Hissner031408.htm

After watching him spar a few rounds with a young up and coming golden gloves regional finalist I was thrown in for soem sparring with each of them. I was totally freaked out...these guys are FAST! and they were going easy...I felt like I was moving in mud or something. In any event, I've never been so honored to get my butt handed to me :D. It was a lot of fun to get the expereince of sparring with such a talented and experienced fighter. I may be big old and slow but I app[arently didn;t embarass myself :) We've got 2 more weeks of the seminar...it'll be sad when it's over, but I'll ahve soem new things to work into the tool box and take to San Antonio in July.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, it's been awhile and it's time for an update. Still training hard..holiday schedules made that difficult but things seem to be back on track.

Tomorrow I'm going with the comp team to the US Grand Prix TKD Winter Nationals in West Orange, NJ. I've decided to give this comp a go as a competitor as well as acoach. See where I stack up against someone not from my school and get a better idea of what I need to work on before July.

Will update otmorrwo after I get results.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welp, I went. The event had some major organizational issues that led to quite aq bit of frustratyion for myself and the other coach. that being said, I had a blast during my events. This being the first time I've actually competed...I kept ny expectations low and looked to get abetter handle on what I need to focsu on in training through July.

I did not own the competition. But, I think I put in a sold performance (I'd give myself a B or a B-). It was good for the kids on the team to see one of their coaches putting himself on th eline like they do.

So, forms was first. I performed Koryo in a field of three. I my power/intensity was good. I liked my pace....not too fast, not too slow. However, as I've not done any competitive poomse...the pressure got to me. I totally had a brain fart and left out the second double outside block that occurs before the knife hand/sidekick/groin scoop sequence. thankfully, i was able to flow into the next move without too much of a pause. However, that mistake cost me silver. Apparently the scoring was close (calculators were involved....the scoring was tight). The other coach also pointed out I was a little loos eon a couple of my stances.

So, goign forward, work on "pressure testing my poomse"...inducing anxiety and performing top reduce brain farts. Tighten up my stances.

In sparring, as always, cardio was my downfall. again, I placed third. Hoqwever, I was not gapped or shut out in the first round. I lost 6-12 with 10 seconds left to go in the third and final round. I was matched up against a guy with a similar build (a little heavier and older), but deceptively quick. I was able to keep things close through the first two rounds (lead changed about 3 times), and I kept landing these axe kcik head shots, but not with enough force to get the 2 point calls. By the end of the second round I was down 2 points. In the third round, I started out strong, and tied it up, but a stumbled and he scored 2 quick points to make it 6-8. Then my legs gave up. I'd see the opening think "there it is!" and my legs would just go "wha?" I tried to push the action, but ended up giving up the last four points. VERY FRUSTRATING!

That being said, I was able to follow coaches directions and utilize the combos we'd been working on in class to score some points....good experience for the kids to see. I also did a better job of pacing myself (I gassed ou tin the third instead of the first round :) )

Going forward, I will continue to work on cardio. Shooting to be able to do 5 x 2 minute rounds and that should keep me strong through 3 two mnute rounds. I also need to work to get more "pop" on my head shots...so i can land AND score with them.

I heard a rumor there's video of this fight...if I see it...and it's not too embarrassing...I'll post for comment.

Anyway, todasy, I'm sore (all the kicking has my gout going and i think I busted toe)...but feeling pretty good that i did it. I'll try to do at least one more before July...again, to gauge where I'm at. It's one thing to spar in class against guys you knwo well...it's antoher thing to go into a fight against an unknown opponent....

Peace,
Erik

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great thread. We older guys need to represent more. I am 40+ and still compete. I even compete in the Senior division sometimes as most of the time there is not anyone to compete against in the Ultra or Executive.

Keep up the training and good luck. You are in the heavy weight division so we will never meet up as I drop from 200 lbs to 175 to compete. I only competed once at heavy and did not like it. You guys hit too hard :p.

Best of luck to you and keep up the training.

Also. Where about are you? If you are close maybe you can stop by our school and cross train with us.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been awhile and time for a training update. After a hitch in the road, with the whoel pinched nerve in my neck thing....I was able to get back on track.

Pain is gone, msot of the numbness is gone. I got hooked up with a good personal trainer and my diet is on track. Feeling pretty good.

I'm in the home stretch. I'm registered to compete and also to do the level 1 coaching smeinar (so I can coach the older black belts...along with the head coach). I've made hotel and travel arrangements.

I've joined the team in tour special training regimen...OPERATION F.I.R.E. (Fierce Intenisty Renders Excellence). This is the sports specific training program we start May 1 and do up until natinals. 6 days a week of hard cardio and movement/kicking drills. This is the third verson of this that the head coach and myself made. the goal is to get the competitors so strong cardio wise that they won't gas out and will peak during the competition. Also, if we can get them to take our names in vain....that's good too :)

I'm getting up at 5AM this. Everyday. I'm cursing my own name. I take two days a week off to follow my personal trainer's weight regimen.

Hopefully, after all this years worth of work., I'll do reasonably well in Austin.

Hoping to meet up with any MT folk that'll be there too as I have to be there all week.

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, the purpose of this post is not to brag or anything..mostly I'm doing this so that I don't wuss out.

I've decided that I want to try competing at nationals at least once before I'm 40. The last couple of years, the head coach of our competition team has done so and has really enjoyed the expereince. I really got caught up in the excitement this year coaching myh daughter as well.

I figure, if I start training for that goal now I should be in good shape next summer. So I'm saying to all of you that, starting today, I'm going to put together a training "road map." I'm going to continue my strength training and significantly increase my cardio work (my weak area). I'm going to find a way to consistently make it to sparring class (it's currently scheduled at a bad time for me...that'll require some shifting of things).

I'm thinking the corssfit workouts for cardio/strength. I'm going to see if I can get another sparring class scheduled with some of the other big guys at a time that's better for me and my schedule.

All I ask of you all at MT is to occassionally call me out on my plans...don't let my sorry butt off the hook. I really need to do this...my training lately has been flat and that's because I don't have a concrete goal to work towards (other than intermediate bb tests for then next 18 months or so...not working for me at the moment). I know once I buy into my plans things will go smoothly...but I also know that getting into the swing of things...especially one that needs so much work and adjustment is going to be hard.

So, that's it. Thanks in advance for your help, advice and support.

Peace,
Erik

GO AHEAD TIGER!!!!! nothing is best than determination in our goals, go and get them.

Manny

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep it up, Erik.

I am 45 year old and still compete in women ultra bantam division. In our school we have an ultra team members ranging from 38 to 45, and we all training at least 2-3 days a/week.

Hopefully we will see you fight in Austin.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been awhile and time for a training update. After a hitch in the road, with the whoel pinched nerve in my neck thing....I was able to get back on track.

Pain is gone, msot of the numbness is gone. I got hooked up with a good personal trainer and my diet is on track. Feeling pretty good.

I'm in the home stretch. I'm registered to compete and also to do the level 1 coaching smeinar (so I can coach the older black belts...along with the head coach). I've made hotel and travel arrangements.

I've joined the team in tour special training regimen...OPERATION F.I.R.E. (Fierce Intenisty Renders Excellence). This is the sports specific training program we start May 1 and do up until natinals. 6 days a week of hard cardio and movement/kicking drills. This is the third verson of this that the head coach and myself made. the goal is to get the competitors so strong cardio wise that they won't gas out and will peak during the competition. Also, if we can get them to take our names in vain....that's good too :)

I'm getting up at 5AM this. Everyday. I'm cursing my own name. I take two days a week off to follow my personal trainer's weight regimen.

Hopefully, after all this years worth of work., I'll do reasonably well in Austin.

Hoping to meet up with any MT folk that'll be there too as I have to be there all week.

Peace,
Erik
I will look you up once there. I am not competing this year but we have a team of fighters (young ones) that will be. I am a level 1 coach so I will be there to coach the team if need be, We have 4 level 1 coaches and 3 are going including myself.

Good luck to you and hope you do well.

Latest Discussions