USATKD senior nationals - once before I'm 40.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is my last update:

Almost a year ago I decided to take a stab at national competition. I started thi sthread to make that annoubncement and serve as motivation to keep me on track. I've spent the last year training hard, cahnging my lifestyle (how i workout , how I coach, how I eat, etc.) It's been an insanely difficult but satisfying expereince. This was the motivvation I needed to keep up with m,y training and to get through a mebntal slump I was expereinceing. Furthermoe, I'm in much better [physical shape (Bodyweight went from almot 250 to 228...still a ways to go, but going in the right direction...more importantly body fat % went from almost 30% to 21%). I feel stronger, faster, and my cardio has finally improved.

Most improtantly, I've become a better coach through my study and training.

Myself and my kids hit the road tomorrow and I cannnot wait to get to Austin.

Win or lose, this has been worth it. I know some like to slag sport TKD....but what this trainign has doen for my skills (sport, SD, teaching, fitness, etc) goes way beyond anything I could have hoped for.

Thanks to all of you here on MT for your supprot and ecouragement. It wemant alot and it really helped.

Peace,
Eriki

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck Eric to you and your young fighters. I will be there also with a group of kids so look for me. Our team jackets will say ATC in gold letters in the back.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck Erik. Feel free to say hi to anyone you see in Team X attire. Who knows, it just might be me.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck Eric to you and your young fighters. I will be there also with a group of kids so look for me. Our team jackets will say ATC in gold letters in the back.

I hope to se you there. I'll be with the AFMAC Dragons out of Pennsylvania. :)

Peace,
Erik

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While your there why not try refereeing for a totally different perspective. There will be classes there and multiple opportunities to practice what you've learned. Good Luck at the tournament. See you there possibly.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welp, it was a looooong week. I just got home late last night. We brought our youngest team to date, the total medal count was 3 golds and 6 bronze. Each and every one of our young competitors did awesome...all showing such growth and maturity from where they were at the beginning of the season that i could only sit back and marvel at their desire to excel.

As for me, I picked up a gold in forms, though my dvision was only me. It was one of my best attempts at Koryo to date. given the past years hard work...I'll take it :)

Sparring, my goal was to step into the ring and not embarrass myself. That was loosely defined as not gassing out, getting gapped, or looking like a total amateur. Unfortunately, my opponent (hereafter to be referred to as the Tasmanian Devil) was frickin' amazing. He and I were the small guys in our divisions (and at 6' and 230 pounds, I don't often label myself the small guy). My plan was to try an early head shot and then use the footwork and angles I've been practicing to frustrate and set up shots. However, this guy shot in like a flash and attempted a wicked axe kick to my head. this guy was WAY faster than me...and could clearly go for my head at will. He followed that shot up with a nasty back kick that scored (I'm sporting some brusied ribs, despite a very sturdy hogu).

The rest of the match went like that. He was really good at mixing up the levels so I never could get a sense of when he was going high or low...he exploted my defense effortlessly. I did get in a couple of good shots. Knowing that I was not going to be able to slow things down...I went for the head...it landed (CONFIRMED from two of the other guys watching as well as our video) but didn't score. I also landed a punch that knocked the guy out of the ring and onto his butt (from the center of the ring no less)...didn't score either.

In the end, those 3 points wouldn't have made a difference. He was jsut that much better than me. I'm glad that he never landed a clean head shot (he was trying like mad to take my head off) and I'm glad I was able to keep pressing forward after that rib shot and try to work my game. I suppose I could be embarrassed, but I'm not. There was nothing I could've done differently to this guy. I just need to train more and work on my speed and explosiveness. I learned so much from this brief match that it was totally worth it.

So, the plan is to try again next year. I'm already working on my training plan for the next year.

Finally, a list of interestibng things I saw in Austin:
- got to see the 1.5 million bats flying from the congress st. brigdge almost everynight (my hotel was right there).
- I saw a huge alligator snapping turtle while walking across the bridge to the convention center.
- I got my level 1 coaching certification.
- I saw all of our competitors bring their a games and grow as martial artists and athletes.
- I ate dipping dots for teh first and last time.
- I made my son laugh and blow iced tea out of his nose.
- I saw a bow legged squirrell...he was bow legged because he had HUGE junk.

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Erik glad to see you had fun and ypou are getting the feeling for competition. Best of luck.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like you were a winner. I say this because you learned something and that is what it is really all about in the end. If you went there and dominated and won with easy then what really was it all for? Most people have the wrong impression of a tournement. It is great to win. But the true goal it to measure yourself againts others and to learn something. Remember you are not fighting for you life, so each tournement should be used as a training tool to measure and learn, win or lose.

Glad you had fun and hope to see you next year in Sunny Florida.