What do I have time for?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a tournament coming up in mid April. I've started doing some cardio work and I'm wondering if I have time for any significant strength improvement or weight loss in the time remaining.

Should I just focus on cardio and maybe mental/technical aspects? Do I have time to strengthen my legs in any significant way? Or drop my weight (this is something I've wanted to do for awhile, the upcoming tournament just gives me a target /goal/motivation)

I'm 5'10.5" and roughly 180lbs

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You will not have time for significant HEALTHY weight loss. You do have time for decent strength and speed training, as long as you are consistant and don't overdo it.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will not have time for significant HEALTHY weight loss. You do have time for decent strength and speed training, as long as you are consistant and don't overdo it.

Thanks.

I really don't care about weight as a number, but what I really want to do is improve my power/weight ratio so I move better (this is the long term goal, not just a tournament/sparring focused short term goal).

FWIW - I'm also 38 years old

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best way to train for a tournament is to do those things that you will be competing with. Are you sparring in 2 minute rounds? Find a partner or shadow-box for 3 and 4 minute rounds, with breaks no longer than the rounds (1 minute breaks are better) for 20 or 30 minutes. Are you competing in patterns? Perform your pattern(s) every day, at least 5-10 times each.

If you have time for other training - jogging, biking, and jumping rope are all good things for general cardio fitness, and will also help you with your weight loss goal - but be careful to eat enough; cutting your calories too much will actually prevent weight loss, as you body will think you're in a famine and conserve fat. Also, be careful that you don't do too much too fast; don't risk injuring yourself when you don't have time to heal completely.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, losing a great deal of weight in a short period of time has adverse effects on your performance level.
In the time frame you're talking about, you can safely lose about 5-7 lbs. max, supplementing that with speed drills and strength training.
The reality is, your metabolism will not be quite as high as a 21 year old.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
frankly....neglect the weight and concentrate on the fitness! I am soooooo sick of the weight number game....

Anyhow, I believe muscle can be trained up in a couple of weeks (given the muscle to fat weight difference you might not even notice a difference on the scale!) while tendons and bones need longer to train up, but since you are not aiming for Mr Olympia titles...that should not be an issue.

Incidentally I, too have a tournament coming up at the end of April...I know I need to work on cardio and strength (though I have to put a little substance back on..) but I also have to work on my form and step up my sparring...though all things considered, competing is a win for me at this time!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming you're going to be sparring, definitely work on cardio to build up your endurance level. Otherwise, as strong as you might be, you run the risk of running out of gas midway through the match.

ditn

White Belt
Reaction score
5 pounds in 2 weeks,can i do it?:s
Having tournament 23 march and i just cant seem to get the weight down

I eat nothing from fast food to candy etc
I train 3 times in gym and other days rope jumping but i still can't get it down.

ANy help?:d

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 pounds in 2 weeks,can i do it?:s
Having tournament 23 march and i just cant seem to get the weight down

I eat nothing from fast food to candy etc
I train 3 times in gym and other days rope jumping but i still can't get it down.

ANy help?:d

Unless you are in a weight category you don't belong in...forget the 5 pounds.

Seriously. this close to the competition concentrate on eating good, healthy foods. Enough carbs to keep you powered up and protein to keep the muscles in shape. Real stuff, as fresh as possible (not all fast food is bad...not all home cooking good - I would really love to see a change in that point of view, health and wellbeing over weight!)

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try this,

Speed work
You can do speed work exercises up to 7-10 days before your challenge. I’d add two leg workouts per week including Calf raises, Squats, and single leg lunges and ab workouts every other day including hanging leg raises. 2 or 3 times a week. I ‘d also, do a 40 yard tkd shuttle (take two heavy bags place them 10 yards apart start by using entering foot work (Nadabaum, Off the roundhouse, check and go) then double or triple kick, and hit it with side or back kick, then run to the other bag and repeat.).

Range of motion
Kick High and stretch you should be able to do these until 3 to 5 days before competition. Kick high at 75-80% effort and speed do this to reduce your chances of injury. When you practice slowly you’ll develop the supporting muscles better. It will also help you mentally allowing you to concentrate on technique.

Mental Preparation
Relax the day prior to competition take two or three if you need. Make sure you walk, bike or other light work outs the week before competition to keep help muscle and mental recovery.
Pick an attack and let your mind trigger your attack (Visualize and have a partner trigger the attack). Plan both and offense and defense attack, but keep it simple for now 1 play for both offense and defense. Practice forms in different settings to remove visual cues.

Best of Luck

Latest Discussions