USAT Announces Historic Kukkiwon Special Dan Testing

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Full story is here: http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/article/8093

Is there anyone else who will try to get there Kikkiwon Dan updated. It seems to be a very good way to fix what may have gone wrong in the past, injustices, missed opportunities or what ever justification you may have without having to travel all the way to the Kukkiwon.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full story is here: http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/article/8093

Is there anyone else who will try to get there Kikkiwon Dan updated. It seems to be a very good way to fix what may have gone wrong in the past, injustices, missed opportunities or what ever justification you may have without having to travel all the way to the Kukkiwon.

Yea my BB at the school will be skip Danning at the event and I just may go ahead and get my 5th long over do.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is talk of this happening in GB too. Could be a positive thing. Dan certificates are taking so long to turn around!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is talk of this happening in GB too. Could be a positive thing. Dan certificates are taking so long to turn around!

I understand that different countries have different rules and in the USA, I can send the application directly to the KKW. It generally takes about a month for me to get the certificate back from KKW.

How long does it take in GB? Do you have to apply thru your national association?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are they charging extra for the mandatory poomsae training or is that part of the fee?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So does anyone think that the Kukkiwon is now offering triple jumps in rank is ligit or just a way for them to make money?

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that different countries have different rules and in the USA, I can send the application directly to the KKW. It generally takes about a month for me to get the certificate back from KKW.

How long does it take in GB? Do you have to apply thru your national association?

We can do the same, and it didnt used to be so bad. I gather there has been a banking problem in Korea. I don't know whether this is now solved.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
So does anyone think that the Kukkiwon is now offering triple jumps in rank is ligit or just a way for them to make money?

I am sure that if the person was not qualified, they would not be promoted. I used to get the KKW newletter which showed the passing rate for high dans (6-9th) tests was not even close to 100%.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am sure that if the person was not qualified, they would not be promoted. I used to get the KKW newletter which showed the passing rate for high dans (6-9th) tests was not even close to 100%.

Your kidding right? Kukkiwon USED to mean something. When I first started in 79.... but it has long since gone to the $$$ talk rout. Why else would the allow Triple promotion exept for the $$$ when their written polocy is one skip dan once in a career.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe nothing has changed except the expense of going to Korea. All the other requirements are the same.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe nothing has changed except the expense of going to Korea. All the other requirements are the same.

This is not true, the requirement have dropped over the last 10-15 years and the test has become easier for people.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aside from the mandatory forms requirements, one wonders what the physical testing aspect requirements will be? Some applicants that may be going for senior Masters rankings (6th / 7th) would / should be somewhat advanced in age, at least in their 40's and older. Just what would the Kukkiwon and the USAT expect from these folks? I know for myself, that I can't do a lot of the jumping kicks I used to be able to do (age and injuries), so I wonder what their going to ask of these folks, under the "Historic Special Dan Testing"..................

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Aside from the mandatory forms requirements, one wonders what the physical testing aspect requirements will be? Some applicants that may be going for senior Masters rankings (6th / 7th) would / should be somewhat advanced in age, at least in their 40's and older. Just what would the Kukkiwon and the USAT expect from these folks? I know for myself, that I can't do a lot of the jumping kicks I used to be able to do (age and injuries), so I wonder what their going to ask of these folks, under the "Historic Special Dan Testing"..................

These questions are addressed on the USAT website (http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/) under News and further under Test Guidlines and answers to frequently asked questions. Also, specific test requirements for each Dan can be found on the same website under Resources/Dan Certification Program/Promotion Requirements. This same information can be found on the Kukkiwon website (http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/index.jsp) under Promotion Test/High Dan Promotion Test.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK, took me a little time to search their web site but I found the info, thanks...........

So for 4th to 7th, the testing consists of doing required rank form and another form as directed. Controlled sparring for 1 minute and submitting a 10 page thesis. Testing with an injury is on a case by case basis.
Breaking is optional...............What I found somewhat perplexing is that 1st to 3rd Dans don't have to test. In fact they don't even have to be in attendance. One would think that those would be the ranks where the bulk of testing should be.............

It all sounds very appealing, except when it comes to the monitary portion. In my case it would cost $1100 to test, join the USAT, plus travel and lodging and any extras, which probably would add up to well over $2000. As appealing as this looks, for me, $2000 can go a long way toward other basic necessities as opposed to a couple of pieces of paper hanging on a wall. For those that wish to partake of this offering, I wish you well and safe journey.

Mabey it's just me, but something about this just lends itself to be looked at by non-TKD and some TKD folks as a further poor reflection of what modern day WTF-TKD has become.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK, took me a little time to search their web site but I found the info, thanks...........

So for 4th to 7th, the testing consists of doing required rank form and another form as directed. Controlled sparring for 1 minute and submitting a 10 page thesis. Testing with an injury is on a case by case basis.
Breaking is optional...............What I found somewhat perplexing is that 1st to 3rd Dans don't have to test. In fact they don't even have to be in attendance. One would think that those would be the ranks where the bulk of testing should be.............

It all sounds very appealing, except when it comes to the monitary portion. In my case it would cost $1100 to test, join the USAT, plus travel and lodging and any extras, which probably would add up to well over $2000. As appealing as this looks, for me, $2000 can go a long way toward other basic necessities as opposed to a couple of pieces of paper hanging on a wall. For those that wish to partake of this offering, I wish you well and safe journey.

Mabey it's just me, but something about this just lends itself to be looked at by non-TKD and some TKD folks as a further poor reflection of what modern day WTF-TKD has become.

You only have to pay for the last three promotion fees, a $15.00 USAT administrative fee per Dan, USAT membership fee of $35.00 and the $45.00 for the mandatory Poomse Seminar.

Yes, it is expensive. Had you tested on time you would have to have paid the same fees less the Poomse Seminar. Still it is a lot to have to pay all at once.

Only you can determine if it is worth it or not. USAT and the Kukkiwon are trying to make it easier for those who have been passed by. You will still have to earn your Dan.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please, please go for it. I really am looking forward to seeing who tests and how well they do. Besides, it will give me a chance to finally meet some of you.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard some speculation that this was a very interesting coincidence in timing with the Kukkiwon's financial and tax problems in Korea. Regardless, good luck to anyone going to test. It is nice that you don't have to travel to Korea.