USAT and the special promotion

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, we are still good, but, since you missed out on me buying drinks in Vegas, and I was at the bar by the elevators every night for at least one cold one, it's all on you in Austin. It's going to be hot and I am going to be thirsty. :ultracool

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, we are still good, but, since you missed out on me buying drinks in Vegas, and I was at the bar by the elevators every night for at least one cold one, it's all on you in Austin. It's going to be hot and I am going to be thirsty. :ultracool

Austin for sure Wade it is in my backyard no problem.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
So you tested at this event, correct?.
No, I did not test. I was not planning to test. I saw the doors was open and I went up to my room, changed into my uniform and joined them. :)

Very good experience indeed. I also watched the test Sunday, and the room was stuffy and crowded.

Also, I met up with one of the Master in Richardson, TX this pass weekend. I asked when will he know if he pass or not, he said in few weeks. So, there isn't any immediate result if anyone wanted to know.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I did not test. I was not planning to test. I saw the doors was open and I went up to my room, changed into my uniform and joined them. :)

Very good experience indeed. I also watched the test Sunday, and the room was stuffy and crowded.

Also, I met up with one of the Master in Richardson, TX this pass weekend. I asked when will he know if he pass or not, he said in few weeks. So, there isn't any immediate result if anyone wanted to know.

Who is your Master in Richardson Texas?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I call MAC yesterday to find out if I passed and they told me that I would be notified by USAT next week. The only people that I heard know if they passed or not were the people who tested Saturday night after the seminar. The 5th dan that I spent time training with ( no names) told me that they were to that they passed.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is good to hear, now lets see how long it takes to get the KKW certificates and also if every one gets the ranks they were trying/hoping to get.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They will pass everyone... how would the retest them? If they had any intention of failing anyone would they not have set up some information for retesting?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how it works in your school,but if someone fails a test at ours you must wait to be recommended for testing the next cycle. So I guess if you were to fail that you will have to ether retest with your master instructor or wait until next years US open and test with USAT (not Kukkiwon). I have heard this alot.. My question is (if it is a question or more of a statement) what or how does it hurt Kukkiwon to fail anyone? They still get paid ether way! And they look even better if some of us fail. That way the people like you who feel this way are shown that it wasn't a give away. Its a win win for Kukkiwon.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually I see it the other way.... what is the incentive to fail? If they fail someone they have to retest them somehow.... they get no more money for it either way, so it would be just easier for them to pass everyone regardless. Plus how are we ever going to know if someone passes or fails? Do you really think they are going to publish it? I would highly doubt it and I will bet they are counting on no one finding out.

I don't know how it works in your school,but if someone fails a test at ours you must wait to be recommended for testing the next cycle. So I guess if you were to fail that you will have to ether retest with your master instructor or wait until next years US open and test with USAT (not Kukkiwon). I have heard this alot.. My question is (if it is a question or more of a statement) what or how does it hurt Kukkiwon to fail anyone? They still get paid ether way! And they look even better if some of us fail. That way the people like you who feel this way are shown that it wasn't a give away. Its a win win for Kukkiwon.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believ that no matter what they do will be right for some, I believe this could be a great thing if they tweek it a little.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW (probably very little), the KKW newsletter used to show applicants for high dan and the passage rate was nowhere close to 100%.

I was told that the passage rate for the Foreigner Instructor Course is about 50%.

This tells me that the KKW has no problem failing Koreans or anyone else who is not up to the standard (even if they spend a boatload of money going to Korea and taking the course or test).

Personally, I think those who were not prepared did the honorable thing by not testing. As far as their testing fees, it is the same as if they tested but did not pass.

For those who tested and failed, it was a learning experience and now the question becomes what are they going to do now?

For those who tested and passed-congratulations.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles you have put a nice twist to this converstation, but can I ask where you got your info. on the percentage of people passing by the KKW? I could not find any info. Because I was in beliefs that the instructor course was more like an 80/20 ratio or that is what I was told by alot of folks over the last ten years.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They will pass everyone... how would the retest them? If they had any intention of failing anyone would they not have set up some information for retesting?

The KKW paid their own way to the LV they were not treated by the USAT. It was already noted that if the people did not perform up to their standards that they would fail. If these people fail, they will have to make their way to Korea to test next time.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh come on... do you really believe that?

The KKW paid their own way to the LV they were not treated by the USAT. It was already noted that if the people did not perform up to their standards that they would fail. If these people fail, they will have to make their way to Korea to test next time.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles you have put a nice twist to this converstation, but can I ask where you got your info. on the percentage of people passing by the KKW? I could not find any info. Because I was in beliefs that the instructor course was more like an 80/20 ratio or that is what I was told by alot of folks over the last ten years.

It was in the KKW newsletter they used to send out quarterly (well before they had a website). I'll try to find it and if I do, will scan and post it.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles do you remember the resource book the KKW put out sometime around 1987 or 88 and it listed every BB that ever tested or did the instructor course? I was looking for mine this past wekend and could not find it. Or if anybody else remember it or have a copy could you let me know.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry Terry, I don't remember this book. But the 1st Foreign Instructor Course was in '98 so it would not have any non-Korean instructors anyway.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Terry, I don't remember this book. But the 1st Foreign Instructor Course was in '98 so it would not have any non-Korean instructors anyway.

Sorry I meant 97 - 98 it listed the instructor it was more like a booklet that was sent out every year with the instructor that attended the course. I guess I just need to go though all my stuff and find it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

Latest Discussions