US Nationals in Austin, TX - Who all is going?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, ATC. Is this the case in all countries? I'm curious if any country is still rolling out a Soviet sports type team where promising athletes are given enormous backing.
For this sport I think Korea has the edge. They have high schools and colleges that specialize in producing top athletes. They also do not have the same restricions that we do here. Here we seem to give past winners a pass. Not in Korea. If you are the better fighter then you go. You have to prove yourself each and every year. Here fighters like the Lopezes get passes and are not the best we have to offer.

There are other examples of why we do not send the best fighters like politics but that get really deep and dirty.

I am sure that other countries send their best and have their own system of how they determine the best they have to offer. But Korea by far has the best system and their best are taken care of. Iran is a close second, and even with our flaws we come out 3rd some how.

Remember only 4 athletes period make it to the Olympics. There are many weight catagories with great fighters but we tend to keep sending one family of 3 taking up 3 of 4 slots when there are better fighters in other weight divisions plus most times there are better fighters in the 3 slots filled by the golden family. Something just aint right with how the U.S. picks there fighters.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
USA Taekwondo National Team Members get a monthly stipend from the USOC. Also, in a recent conversation with 1 08 Olympic Team Member's parents, he told me that upon making the Olympic team his kid was showered with sponsorship opportunities from a top sports clothing manufacturer.

But I certainly wouldn't refer to the clothes or a menial stipend to be "Enormus backing". Enough to eat and stay warm from 1 month to the next.

Other Olympic Sport's team members (Gymnastics, Figure Skating etc) get stipends in the 1000's per month plus major sponsorships. But TKD pretty much gets pissed on in comparison

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
USA Taekwondo National Team Members get a monthly stipend from the USOC. Also, in a recent conversation with 1 08 Olympic Team Member's parents, he told me that upon making the Olympic team his kid was showered with sponsorship opportunities from a top sports clothing manufacturer.

But I certainly wouldn't refer to the clothes or a menial stipend to be "Enormus backing". Enough to eat and stay warm from 1 month to the next.

Other Olympic Sport's team members (Gymnastics, Figure Skating etc) get stipends in the 1000's per month plus major sponsorships. But TKD pretty much gets pissed on in comparison
All so true. Nike and Addids are the big two, but there are more coming on board. Vision and Mooto are picking up. You also have big corps like HomeDepo and McDonald's. I know that our Sabunim got a local deal with BMW but not much. They paid for his meals and travel expence when he was on the internationl circut though.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
God would rather I work, lol. But my master from Knockout Martial Arts will be there with out elite team.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Remember only 4 athletes period make it to the Olympics. There are many weight catagories with great fighters but we tend to keep sending one family of 3 taking up 3 of 4 slots when there are better fighters in other weight divisions plus most times there are better fighters in the 3 slots filled by the golden family. Something just aint right with how the U.S. picks there fighters.

Let's back the bus up now, how do you throw the three medalist under the bus especialy when one of them is the number one in his class in the world?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's back the bus up now, how do you throw the three medalist under the bus especialy when one of them is the number one in his class in the world?
What one is number one in the world? Mark at this time is ranked number one in the U.S. at his weight class. The other two are not.

Now that, that is out of the way. Let's back up the bus as you say a bit more. During the last Olympic year and even before. There were many matches that Mark lost but was given the win just because. Diana lost to Nia in the team trails but again was given the win. I will give Steven his respect but even he got some suspect judging from time to time.

There were way better fighters in other weight divisons that could have spots on the team let alone the ones in the same weight class.

I have nothing againt any of them. Just because I think there are better competitors for the U.S. takes nothing away from them. They still placed where they places. However even if they would have all won last Olympics, still does not mean that they were the best choice to represent the U.S. Politics rule and you have to play that game too.

Hey look at this way. If it were anyone other than who we are talking about and the situation was the same, then the same applies. I am not saying what I am say because of who they are. The names make no difference. Are they really the best we have across the board? I say no. That is all. Is that their fault? No. So I am not tossing anyone under the bus just exposing the politics involved.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

TX_BB it is easy when you know they was given a free pass to be there, you of all people know this. I am just amazed that you can even sit there and say they where the best that we could have sent. Mark lost that fight and Diana got beat by Nia but that is water under the bridge, Steven did not have to fight any prelims just the chaampionship match, how was that fair. You know I like the Lopezs but the USOC and the USAT needed the family together for the sake of the sport, remember the other one what was her name Craig, how come we never hear about her, well we all know why don't we......

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Steven did not have to fight any prelims just the chaampionship match, how was that fair.

I absolutely agree with you on the Diana comment. Nia won that fight, plain and simple. Even if she did, she still would have needed to win a 2nd fight as well.

Regarding Mark, as far as I can see, he won his fight vs Chris Martinez. However Chris wasn't really fighting to what I would consider his full potential. They are teammates though. Perhaps they had some sort of deal going into it.

However the Steven comment, quoted above, is out of line as far as I am concerned.

You might recall that Steven won Gold at the Sept 2007 World Olympic Qualification event in Manchester England.

Had Diana, Mark and or Charlotte won, they also would not have had to fight it off in Austin. They didn't though. Diana and Mark both lost in the quarterfinals and Charlotte lost her fight fight out of the gate. I seem to recall that 1st or 2nd in Manchester meant you were on the US Team. Steven is the only one that met that criteria.

That is how Steven qualified for the 08 games. He did not have to fight anyone in Austin at the Team Trial event because he secured his spot at the Sept 07 event.

Sorry, but 4 World Championship Gold Medals and 2 Olympic Gold Medals. Find me a better Olympic TKDist to represent the USA that can go through the process of being on the team and winning at all the right events.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mango.man we all have all opinions about certain things, I believe Steven was a great fighter but with age come the obvious. So I still say we could have sent a etter team just my opinion, I love the Lopez family and see them alot so it is not anything personal here. I jusy know people need to be forward about everything, the USAT wanted all the LOpezs together and they did what needed to be done to make that happen.

Latest Discussions