US Nationals in Austin, TX - Who all is going?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, any MT'ers goign to Autin for the Junior Olympic/US nationals next week? I'll be there all week with our schools comp team (plus I'm taking a stab at competing in the Ultra division this year). It'd be nice to ptu some faces to some names. :)

Peace,
Erik

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sweet. Eric, where is this being held? I'd love to take my son to go see the competition.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Eric I will be in Florida at Nationals for AAU from the 29th of June until July5th. All the best, I will tell Joe Agoun one of my BB to look you up he will be a referee that weekend down there.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's at the Austin Convention Center from Tuesday
june 30 through Sunday July 6.

I'll be with the AFMAC Dragons out of Pennsylvania.

Peace,
Erik

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool! I thought I had heard that was coming up. I'll try to get there if it's not too expensive. Gotta URL?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We will be there. Taking only 8 kids this time, all Jr's. Our Sr's. are all out of town at another tournement called the Korean American games. That happens only every 2 years and you have to be at least half Korean to participate. It is a big deal for our Korean Sr's.

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We will be there, taking 5 people to fight. 3 days of a tournament can be very draining, I can't imagine 5!! We have people fighting everyday except for Fri and Sat.

I was there for Qualifiers/Team Trials in April. Nice venue, but one of the rings (if they set it up the same) is very far from the bleachers for spectators. There are 2 rows of 3 rings. Ran smoothly though (except for 10 year old green belts; there was a 4 hour lag between when they were taken to the ring and they actually fought).

:)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was there for Qualifiers/Team Trials in April. Nice venue, but one of the rings (if they set it up the same) is very far from the bleachers for spectators. There are 2 rows of 3 rings. Ran smoothly though (except for 10 year old green belts; there was a 4 hour lag between when they were taken to the ring and they actually fought).

:)
I think they will have more rings. Qulifiers is a much smaller event than Nationals. They will have to have no less than 16 rings. You are talking about 500 - 700 competitors vs. 3000. There will be double if not tripple the amount of rings.

Two years ago this event was in San Jose, CA and they had 24 rings for Nationals. For the qualifiers they only 6 rings.

Same in Detroit last year. 14 rings total and that was not enough. Only had 14 rings due to lack of referees.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll be there. National poomsae team trails, Utra poomsae & USAT mac commissioner inductee.
see ya there!

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think they will have more rings. Qulifiers is a much smaller event than Nationals. They will have to have no less than 16 rings. You are talking about 500 - 700 competitors vs. 3000. There will be double if not tripple the amount of rings.

Two years ago this event was in San Jose, CA and they had 24 rings for Nationals. For the qualifiers they only 6 rings.

Same in Detroit last year. 14 rings total and that was not enough. Only had 14 rings due to lack of referees.

That makes sense. Last year, I went to AAU nationals, so I don't remember. I do remember US Open only had like 8 (I think) in Vegas, New Orleans, and Florida.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That makes sense. Last year, I went to AAU nationals, so I don't remember. I do remember US Open only had like 8 (I think) in Vegas, New Orleans, and Florida.
Yes you are correct, 8 rings. Took forever each day. They went way into the evening each day.

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And now that I think about it, unless they use a different room at the convention center, there is no way to fit that many (more than 7 or 8). I don't know if the room they used for Qualifiers/Team Trials can get bigger or not. I hope so. Does anyone know if they have weapons/board breaking before or after poomse and sparring? I have never been to a tournament where they have those extra events on the same days. I do sure hope its after.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
And now that I think about it, unless they use a different room at the convention center, there is no way to fit that many (more than 7 or 8). I don't know if the room they used for Qualifiers/Team Trials can get bigger or not. I hope so. Does anyone know if they have weapons/board breaking before or after poomse and sparring? I have never been to a tournament where they have those extra events on the same days. I do sure hope its after.
Yes those events are before. Not sure about the team and breaking though. Will have to look at my scheduel when I get home.

The rooms should open up. That is how the convention center in SJ is. You can make the room smaller or larger depending on the event. I have a blue print of the Austin convention center and I think it does the same thing. I will have to check when I get home. It is one of the things they let you know when they are bidding on events.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We will be in Florida at the AAU Nationals.... 17 students, going to be running a few days!

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One coach?! Wow, yes you will be on the run. Fun stuff.

How do you all separate when you have multiple coaches? Coaches have different levels of experiences and parents know this. The more advanced the student, the higher the priority to receive more talented coaching? Or the student who has been at your school the longest? Just curious.

One more question, coaching fees? do you charge them? how do you decide how much?

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I can begin a new one if you want.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind with regards to how many rings that there will be that the WTF has changed (and USAT has adopted the change) the ring size from 10M X 10X to 8M X 8M so a smaller space will accomodate more rings than they had for any of the qualifiers.

Latest Discussions