TKD in K-1

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey guys, this might be old news around here but i found this while surfing youtube & thought i'd post it.

http://martialtalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1479171

he doesn't show much in the way of punching or clinch, but man his kicks are more than enough.

jf
Your link is broken but I think you mean this guy (Serkan Yilmaz) See him fight below. Pure TKD in the K1 ring.

[yt]jarwkD3nx8w[/yt]
or
[yt]KQuDmLjtoso[/yt]

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah i copied the wrong link, oops.

here is the guy i was watching, park yong soo:

they guy you posted is much more impressive,however.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah i copied the wrong link, oops.

here is the guy i was watching, park yong soo:

they guy you posted is much more impressive,however.

jf
Oh yeah, Park Youg Soo. He is OK but I think Yilmaz is better. Just because Soo get too tired too fast. Plus Soo is a heavy weight and there is not that much action. I have seen Soo knocked out also.

Last edited by a moderator:

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Although it's nice to see a TKD victory, the Park Yong Soo video highlights everything that I feel is wrong with WTF olympic-style sparring. His hand techs are poor and his guard is non-existant. He lets his hands flop around at his sides like so many olympic competitors. It just takes one guy who knows remotely what he's doing to take him apart. Lends weight to the argument that how you train is how you fight.

Yilmaz on the other hand... wow. The speed and aggression are amazing! His hand techs aren't particularly elaborate but he can land a straight punch or a hook when he needs to. Reminds me of my ITF days :D

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to practise my back kicks ;)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
although it's nice to see a tkd victory, the park yong soo video highlights everything that i feel is wrong with wtf olympic-style sparring. His hand techs are poor and his guard is non-existant. he lets his hands flop around at his sides like so many olympic competitors. It just takes one guy who knows remotely what he's doing to take him apart. Lends weight to the argument that how you train is how you fight.

Yilmaz on the other hand... Wow. The speed and aggression are amazing! His hand techs aren't particularly elaborate but he can land a straight punch or a hook when he needs to. Reminds me of my itf days :d

now if you'll excuse me i'm off to practise my back kicks ;)

amen>>>>>
w

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although it's nice to see a TKD victory, the Park Yong Soo video highlights everything that I feel is wrong with WTF olympic-style sparring. His hand techs are poor and his guard is non-existant. He lets his hands flop around at his sides like so many olympic competitors. It just takes one guy who knows remotely what he's doing to take him apart. Lends weight to the argument that how you train is how you fight.

Yilmaz on the other hand... wow. The speed and aggression are amazing! His hand techs aren't particularly elaborate but he can land a straight punch or a hook when he needs to. Reminds me of my ITF days :D

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to practise my back kicks ;)

i agree. what impressed me was that despite his glaring deficiencies, he was still able to win based solely on his kicking ability.

jf

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klx92Bls08I&feature=related

What's impressive about his back kicks to me is that they actually displace the guy he's hitting, even when they block. I rarely see that level of power from back kicks in most K-1 and MMA fights.

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klx92Bls08I&feature=related

What's impressive about his back kicks to me is that they actually displace the guy he's hitting, even when they block. I rarely see that level of power from back kicks in most K-1 and MMA fights.
If a back kick is done correctly then that is what it should do. I fight (did fight I should say) middle weight and in the dojang we have a heavy weight that I have to spar pretty often, because he is 6"5" and I amd 6'2" I am the closest to his height. Not weight but height. Well he never use to do back kick because he alway stated that those don't work on heavy weights. He said, they just won't move back from them. Well he now uses back kicks after he got caught by one from me
icon10.gif
. He was right he did not move back, He just stop in his tracks and took a knee. I did not have the weight to move him 180lb vs. 245lb but it hurt none the less.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a back kick is done correctly then that is what it should do.
No argument here. I don't usually see it work that way in application though. Shame Yilmaz can't grapple that well.

Stephan Bonnar's back kicks certainly don't do that for example. ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
No argument here. I don't usually see it work that way in application though. Shame Yilmaz can't grapple that well.

Stephan Bonnar's back kicks certainly don't do that for example. ;)
True. Also, Bonnar is a BJJ stylist. His back kicks won't be as sound as someone from a TKD or Karate background.

Latest Discussions