TKD Jr. Olympics, Detroit MI -- Anyone else going?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm taking my daughter to her first national level competion the first week of July. We're going to the Jr. Olympics in Detroit.

My question to all of you: is anyone else going? Anybody in the area with a dojang? I have to gho early to get a coaching seminar in so that I can sit in the chair and coach my daughter, but she doesnt' compete until later in the week. That leaves us with a few days with not much going on. I'm looking for training/social/networking opportunities. :)

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm taking my daughter to her first national level competion the first week of July. We're going to the Jr. Olympics in Detroit.

My question to all of you: is anyone else going? Anybody in the area with a dojang? I have to gho early to get a coaching seminar in so that I can sit in the chair and coach my daughter, but she doesnt' compete until later in the week. That leaves us with a few days with not much going on. I'm looking for training/social/networking opportunities. :)

Peace,
Erik

Erik we will be up in madison for the AAU National June 30th - July 6th. I wishyou all the best sir and let us know how it was.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We will be there. We will arrive in Detroit on Wednesday and my daughter will fight on Friday then we will leave on Sunday.

We are driving out from California. We will leave CA on Saturday the 28th stopping in Richfield UT Sat night, Denver CO Sun, Omaha NB Mon, Chicago IL Tues and get to Det on Wed. If anyone knows of a places to stop and get in an hour or 2 work out in or near any of those locations, I would love to hear from you.

Good luck to your daughter Erik and to your son in Madison Terry.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We will be there. We will arrive in Detroit on Wednesday and my daughter will fight on Friday then we will leave on Sunday.

We are driving out from California. We will leave CA on Saturday the 28th stopping in Richfield UT Sat night, Denver CO Sun, Omaha NB Mon, Chicago IL Tues and get to Det on Wed. If anyone knows of a places to stop and get in an hour or 2 work out in or near any of those locations, I would love to hear from you.

Good luck to your daughter Erik and to your son in Madison Terry.

mango.man good luck to your daughter in Detroit.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going. Actually, I'm already here....I work about a mile North from Ford Field.

Looking forward to meeting some MT'ers. MSUTKD will also be there. We had a State workout Saturday 6/14 in Saginaw and he did a fantastic job teaching concepts for the new competition poomsae.

Miles

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
3162km from here to Detroit... Hmmm...

(*scribble on notepad*)

[mumbling]
Snacks for the trip... Time off from work... $40,000 loan for gas...
[/mumbling]

No, sorry. Can't make it. :D

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Come on windsinger, I am trekking 3640km

Hmmm 2262 miles / 35mpg * 5.00/gal + hotels + food + etc and that is just getting there. Then I get to do it all over again to get home again.

What am I, INSANE!!!!! Well no, not really cause it will still be cheaper than flying, by a couple hundred bucks at least.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be in Detroit. Main thing is planning on doing a cross border trip to pick up some candy bars. Oh, I might stop in at the tournament too, maybe. Have to fly, can't afford that much time off although 3 of my players are driving.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be in Detroit. Main thing is planning on doing a cross border trip to pick up some candy bars. Oh, I might stop in at the tournament too, maybe. Have to fly, can't afford that much time off although 3 of my players are driving.

Have a great time Wade

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry and Charles, I wish the best of luck to both of you and the kids. Let us know how it all works out.

dleeret

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school will be sending about 20 students. They have participated in the JO's for years.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I'm too old and fat to work that area anymore. :uhyeah:

I'll just be keeping an eye on my players and trying to keep my bar tab down.

It looks like Samantha has some strong competition. I do expect her to win though, as per normal. If we get a chance lets sit down for a cold one, eh?

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welp, my daughter and I are back from Detroit. We had a blast...it was good to spend the week with Rhiannon...good father/daughter bonding time. :)

Anyway, she did great...made her dad/coahc proud. Everything wew worked on she tried to do (and even pulled off).

End result was a bronze medal in forms and a silver medal in sparring.

How did everyone else do?

Peace,
Erik

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great news Erik. Congrats to your daughter.

We also jsut returned. Been home for about an hour now after the 36 hour drive from Detroit to California.

My daughter won her 1st fight but lost her 2nd to the eventual gold medalist. I guess if you are going to lose, it is not so bad to lose to the best person of the day. Anyway, to lose your 2nd fight in a bracket of 16 means you come home with nothing more than a certificate that says "thanks for coming" and a bunch of good memories.

Our team took 9 players and 7 came home with medals, including 2 gold so I guess we did pretty OK.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great news Erik. Congrats to your daughter.

We also jsut returned. Been home for about an hour now after the 36 hour drive from Detroit to California.

My daughter won her 1st fight but lost her 2nd to the eventual gold medalist. I guess if you are going to lose, it is not so bad to lose to the best person of the day. Anyway, to lose your 2nd fight in a bracket of 16 means you come home with nothing more than a certificate that says "thanks for coming" and a bunch of good memories.

Our team took 9 players and 7 came home with medals, including 2 gold so I guess we did pretty OK.

That is a pretty good day, well I am sure Samantha did a great job.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hope everyone made it back home safely. Congratulations to all those who medalled and competed. I saw many, many, many instances of outstanding sportsmanship-made me proud to be a Taekwondoin. I got to meet Wade near the awards area while waiting for my student to finish his poomsae division. Neither of my guys medaled but they both had a good competition experience and hopefully, will take away something positive from the event.

I spent 3 days volunteering and was just whipped after each day but it was great to see Ford Field hosting this event. Usually, it is just Lion's games (and the Lions have struggled for much of the past 2 decades:(

Miles

Latest Discussions