Unique Types of Martial Arts

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Until they spar...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

The hand placement usually gives it away TKD guy, usually feels more comfortable dropping his hands to his sides and bouncing around. Shotokan guy keeps hand forward uses more punches than kicks, TKD guy uses more kicks than punches.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the second video is Kyokushin not Shotokan though, so that may not be the best example.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am interested in this. If you need help or reference ideas message me. My fighting styles are kenpo karate and Judo and a little bit of Escrima.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After viewing dozens of TKD sparring and hyung videos, and comparing them to the hundreds of kata and Karate sparring videos I have seen. I can actually begin to easily tell the difference between a karate and a TKD guy.

There are definitely plenty of differences, but for someone that knows absolutely nothing about martial arts, they may look somewhat similar, much more so than, say, a weapons or grappling-based style would to TKD or karate. That's all I was trying to say with that. ;)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The hand placement usually gives it away TKD guy, usually feels more comfortable dropping his hands to his sides and bouncing around. Shotokan guy keeps hand forward uses more punches than kicks, TKD guy uses more kicks than punches.]
for some styles of Taekwondo.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at is this way: there are only so many ways to break a human being. If you're using your natural weapons, you can kick, punch, elbow, knee, throw, head butt, break joints or strangle. That's about it. If you add weapons, you're going to cut, stab, or bludgeon, or use the weapon as a grappling aid. That's all there is. Any martial art actually works is going to look similar to other arts that work. Arts that don't work can look like any darn thing.

A guy just won gold in the European Judo championship using a technique identical to one found in a medieval German wrestling manual. The human body is the same no matter where you go, or when you are.

Another thing you could think of is whether the art focuses more on seizing the initiative through attacking, or prefers to counter incoming attacks.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
for some styles of Taekwondo.

Yes, there are variations of every style. For kukki TKD the hand placement that I described is common. For ITF and any other , maybe not so much.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a whole lot. I HAVE done some research, and took karate lessons at one point, but that's the extent of my knowledge, other then wikipedia.
While what everyone is writing is entirely true, I get the feeling that you will not entirely understand how to show the difference between TKD and Shotokan in a game especially without much experience. So here's a list of arts that are 'unique' in how I think you want it: Pencak Silat, Kali, Capoeira, Xingyiquan, Savate, HEMA, Dambe, and Vale Tudo. I wouldn't make a game with just these types of arts though, it will be very tough to capture their essence/differences from other styles without more knowledge, and no one wants to play a fighting game with a whole bunch of arts they've never heard of before anyway.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO, the OP needs to hire a technical consultant with expertise in a broad range of martial arts: Japanese, Korean, Chinese arts, at least.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Until they spar...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Video game is not sparring though, it's pretty easy to isolate and exaggerate the distinguishing features of a style when put in a choreographed sort of environment. Just like old kung fu movies where the actors switch styles mid fight or one use snake style and the other tiger....

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a software developer, I've trained in a few different striking styles and I think that I have a broad enough 'general martial arts' knowledge to be of some assistance.

I'm not volunteering to write any code but by all means, send me a message with anything you think I could help with.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm an ex-hamster stylist. Then I discovered Rat Kung fu, They never know what I'm gonna do. If I ever get out of here, I'll study Rat Kung fu! ;)
Was this a selfie?

Master_Splinter.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can try a Philippine martial art called Mongoose.

Dambe is unique. Jow Ga is unique in terms of not many schools The entire U.S. has about 10 schools if that many. All of Australia has 3 schools that I know of.

If you are looking for something that is totally unknown then you'll need to look at some tribal fighting systems.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
when stargate sg1 was looking for an "exotic" martial arts style, they chose capoeira. it really looks different.

Latest Discussions