Unions kill the twinkie?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'll end up selling the brands, but the jobs will move, most likely, to where the buyers are. So while it may create some jobs at point B, the people at point A have still managed to make themselves unemployed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah--they'll sell off the names but those names could be slapped on anything.

Possible, but unlikely. When you buy a Twinky, you want a Twinky, by damn!

Buying the brand will include buying the recipe, and slapping the name on something else would be a debacle along the lines of "New Coke"...

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
New Coke was a no lose situation. People flocked to the new product, which sucked only slightly less than Crystal Pepsi. When it didn't pan out, they switched back to 'classic' coke and sales took off. Either New Coke was going to be a winner, if not they had plan B ready to go.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They'll end up selling the brands, but the jobs will move, most likely, to where the buyers are. So while it may create some jobs at point B, the people at point A have still managed to make themselves unemployed.

There's still a good chance that whoever buys the bakeries/factories will also want to put them back into business, if not to produce twinkies and wonder bread, then to make something else - And the expertise that makes it run is still valuable, whoever owns it. If the landscape looks good, it may well have been worth it to get some truly execrable owners out of the business.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People are asking outrageous prices for Twinkies on Ebay...
If you buy a box for $5, and sell it for $100, that is a pretty damn good return on investment...
I wonder if the local Wal Mart still has any...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People are asking outrageous prices for Twinkies on Ebay...
If you buy a box for $5, and sell it for $100, that is a pretty damn good return on investment...
I wonder if the local Wal Mart still has any...
Oy... can't people wait six months? While you wait for that, eat spoonfulls of sugar! :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And for the white collars it will be just another day of business.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No more Twinkies! Stoners across the country turn Republican.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...not greedy Republicans after all...but greedy democrats...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...nore-heavy-democrat-involvement-hostess-manag

And here comes the Hostess twist: because Tim Collins of Ripplewood, was a prominent Democrat, a position which allowed him to get involved in the first bankruptcy process in the first place, due to his proximity with the Teamsters' long-term heartthrob Dick Gephardt (whose consulting group just happens to also be an equity owner of Hostess).
In other words, the traditional republican-cum-PE scapegoating strategy here will be a tough one to pull off since the narrative collapses when considering that it was a Democrat who rescued the firm, only to see it implode in a trainwreck that has resulted in the liquidation of a legendary brand, and 18,500 layoffs.
But it only gets better. Because the full cast of characters involved here is quite stunning, as David Kaplan summarized so well recently:
Ripplewood is run by Tim Collins, 55, who's been at the center of other famed PE transactions. Known as a brilliant capitalist-philanthropist-networker, he's an eclectic character: a Democrat in an industry of Republicans ...
... Ripplewood's foray into Hostess was partly enabled by Collins's connections in the Democratic Party. He wanted to explore deals with union-involved companies and sought the help of former congressman (Dick) Gephardt, who in 2005 founded the Gephardt Group, an Atlanta consulting firm that provides "labor advisory services." In his 2004 presidential bid, Gephardt -- whose father was a Teamsters milk truck driver -- was endorsed by 21 of the largest U.S. labor unions; in 2003, Collins was one of 19 "founding members" of Gephardt's New York State leadership committee.

The rest of the story at CNNMoney is one of owners trying to do what they can to save a business, sometimes less than perfectly. Management got union concessions to emerge from bankruptcy the first time, but for a variety of reasons, it wasn't enough, and another round of negotiations was attempted last year. When it became clear that the impasse had no chance of being resolved except under duress, the company filed for bankruptcy again. Now it's not coming back.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...ocrat-involvement-hostess-manag#ixzz2CWAK553T

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found on Facebook.
$559207_492263917473189_575617905_n.jpg
Take a look at the top salaries of the Baker's union. These folks won't be out of a job or have a lower salary.....But But But Those Greedy Owners

Overall Political Contributions to:
Democrats: $1,474,204.00 (99.73 %)
Republicans: $4,000.00 (.27 %)
You can verify at http://www.unionfacts.com/union/Bakery,_Confectionary,_Tobacco_Workers_&_Grain_Millers

It's good to be high up in the Union.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those salaries look a bit high for an organisation with only eighty thousand contributors (unless I failed in my read-a-website-at three-in-the-morning-fu :eek:). Where do the funds come from?

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Found on Facebook.
View attachment 17415

It's good to be high up in the Union.

Yes it is, especially if you can deliver good paying jobs to the membership. With my annual gross pay because of the union, I have absolutely no problem with the President of my Local making in excess of 200-250+ per year.

Performance-based pay is different than getting high amounts for killing a company.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just thought of something extremely important...

Now that the Twinkie is roasting in Hell, does that mean I have to give up my favourite nickname for the dear departed Twinfist?

Latest Discussions