Labor Union Myths By Bob Hubbard

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers, EH.

My outburst in the early hours was out of line, as I do know that the history of the Unions in America has been quite different from the one over here and thus the feelings about them run differently too.

I failed to take that into account when my keyboard 'vent' blew off in response to what I saw, through a cloud of emotion, as morally reprehensible views :eek:.

Sometimes even the delay of having a keyboard in the way isn't enough to stop us putting our feet in our mouths :lol:.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
no gordon, i do not think it is a broad brush.

IMO, no one NEEDS a union. People have the choice to work there, or not.

there is always another job

if the managment treats people bad, those people will leave. that business will go under

survival of the fittest.

works in nature, works in the work force.

the problem is that unions try to treat everything as if everyone is equal

that is a fantasy

some people suck, they should be able to fire them

some people rock, a company should be able to keep them, regardless of seniority

and i agree, I dont want unions OR business donating to politics.

I KNOW unions, my mother was FORCED to join one to get a job, she was FORCED to pay dues, FORCED to strike, FORCED to do 4 hours a day on the picket lines for so called "strike wages" that were less than 25% of her normal wage, FORCED to not go out and get another job, she was threatened that if she got another job while the union was on strike, bad things would happen to me, FORCED to put up with a man on her shift who wouldnt keep his hands to himself because he was a delegate

**** UNIONS

So, by using your own logic as gathered from many of your postings, your mom should have just quit and gotten another job. If something would have happened to you as a result of getting that other job, well, that would just be survival of the fittest as you said. I don't know what she would be complaining about getting nearly 25% strike pay. It's more than us greedy evil blood sucking UAW guys get nowadays, and we make $500,739.92 per hour plus shift premiums and get double time for our 16 coffee breaks, 32 individual 25 hr lunch breaks, 14 hr mid afternoon nap time, and company paid massuses per day.

I still contend you have stated pure opinion, inacurate information, and flat out lies.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
When i was old enough to understand what the union was doing to her, i told her to quit, she said simply, "I was a single woman with a child to raise, i didnt have the luxury of being picky"

couldnt argue with that

I HATE unions, I hate the lazy worthless people that use them to hold onto a job that they couldnt keep otherwise, I hate the cost increases that come from greedy unions.I hate the greedy unions destroyed the american steel industry and they are well on thier way to doing the same with the american auto industry.

Tell us how you really feel

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gordon, I had some of the same thoughts on that one myself. For one, the dialog listed doesn't seem 'real' to me.

I don't think Unions should be eliminated. I think they are over rated, and abused and abusive at times. But, you as a worker with a legitimate concern should be able to go to an employer as an individual or as a group and air that concern, and the employer should hear you. But I have a problem with "seniority rules" and salary caps, and forced donations to political causes I don't support, and being required to not work because someone else has a problem. As an employer, I have a problem with the idea that I can be physically assaulted by a striker, and required to rehire him after wards. That's just insane!

Bob,

Seniority is no fun, if you're the guy who has been most recently hired. I've been there, and I won't deny that for an instant.

When you refer to "forced donations," are you talking about unions donating money to causes/parties, or union members being forced to? I've experienced nothing like the latter; however, the former is what goes on anyway. If you work for a large employer, it's very likely that your company is financing campaigns with the profits that you helped to make. What can be done about that?

As for being assaulted by an employee you have to bring back, well, presumably you can charge that person with assault. There was a strike of Toronto Star newspaper employees several years ago in which some of the striking workers vandalized the company property. The union tried to get them off the hook, but the newspaper bosses wouldn't go for it. I don't blame them.

Similarly, we had a city-wide walkout of union workers (called the Metro Toronto Day of Action) over a decade ago over sweeping Provincial legislation. What can I say? Some of us are better behaved than others. Most pickets were peaceful, informational events. Some workers and others vented their anger by destroying property.

Mind you, I have seen greater violence and vandalism in my city when a sports team wins or loses a major event. I happened to be tending bar in the early eighties, when the Toronto Argonauts won the CFL's Grey Cup, and the so-called fans tore the city apart.

You do realized that some people are dicks, regardless of their affiliation?

Top 10 Best Places to Work

1 Google - Non Union
2 Quicken Loans - ?
3 Wegmans Food Markets - Non Union
4 Edward Jones - ?
5 Genentech - ?
6 Cisco Systems - ?
7 Starbucks - Non Union
8 Qualcomm - ?
9 Goldman Sachs - ?
10 Methodist Hospital System - ?

Where did this come from? I don't want to work for any of these guys.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob,

Seniority is no fun, if you're the guy who has been most recently hired. I've been there, and I won't deny that for an instant.

When you refer to "forced donations," are you talking about unions donating money to causes/parties, or union members being forced to? I've experienced nothing like the latter; however, the former is what goes on anyway. If you work for a large employer, it's very likely that your company is financing campaigns with the profits that you helped to make. What can be done about that?

As for being assaulted by an employee you have to bring back, well, presumably you can charge that person with assault. There was a strike of Toronto Star newspaper employees several years ago in which some of the striking workers vandalized the company property. The union tried to get them off the hook, but the newspaper bosses wouldn't go for it. I don't blame them.

Similarly, we had a city-wide walkout of union workers (called the Metro Toronto Day of Action) over a decade ago over sweeping Provincial legislation. What can I say? Some of us are better behaved than others. Most pickets were peaceful, informational events. Some workers and others vented their anger by destroying property.

Mind you, I have seen greater violence and vandalism in my city when a sports team wins or loses a major event. I happened to be tending bar in the early eighties, when the Toronto Argonauts won the CFL's Grey Cup, and the so-called fans tore the city apart.

You do realized that some people are dicks, regardless of their affiliation?

Where did this come from? I don't want to work for any of these guys.
Gordon,
Trust me, I know one doesn't need a union card to be an ***. I've worked at enough nonunion shops to know ***'s are a special group that really get around. LOL!

The list was from a Top 100 employers listing I posted a bit back.
Wegmans from everything I've heard, is a top notch company, doing a significant amount of "greening" in their processes and products, food quality is excellent. They cut prices on a number of products recently, and are absorbing the costs. Their employees are probably some of the friendliest, and most cheerful that I've encountered. I can't recall the last "zombie" I've run into. I've heard similar things about Starbucks in the states, and I'll hit them a dozen times a month, rarely finding sour pusses behind the counter.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dungeon,
I understand that you are a slave to your union, and most likely couldnt keep a job if it wasnt for said union, so I expect you to take up for them.

But dont call me a liar.

Thats all I am gonna say about that. Dont do it.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dungeon,
I understand that you are a slave to your union, and most likely couldnt keep a job if it wasnt for said union, so I expect you to take up for them.

But dont call me a liar.

Not a liar, just a belligerant blast of hot air. What happens if someone does call you a liar, do you drive to their house and beat them up?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our rules if you need refreshing. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dungeon,

But dont call me a liar.

I call it as I see it Twin Fist.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Apparently the last 2 notes have gone un-noticed. Consider this the last one. Stop the personal attacks and shots at each other. Use the ignore feature and return to the topic at hand before the thread is locked and people lose their access to the study.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys. Take some time off and have a Merry Christmas. Lets not get this thread locked. There's a lot of good information in this thread!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Take some time off and have a Merry Christmas. Lets not get this thread locked. There's a lot of good information in this thread!

Good idea, all the Christmas films are on the television now ( the good ones the kids films lol) so time to sit back and relax...just watched Sky High....good film but sometime you are going to have to explain to me all these strange customs American High schools have! Homecoming?
Happy Holiday!

Latest Discussions