UFC versus YOU

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

Below are the current rules for the UFC on what an Ultimate Fighter is trained not to do.

If you had to face off with a UFC fighter in the octagon; with him using the rules he knows and you using your school(s) style and training. (as best as you know it)

How many rules would you be able to break?

Fouls:
1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
NONE.

thats like going into a karate school and wanting to ground fight.

or going into a kung fu and wanting to ground fight.

or going to your school and wanting to ground fight.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just got to watch UFC 60 last night (AFN is a little slow on the showing...) and this topic came up at work.

Answering the specific question, I found 12 rules that my fighting and self-defense methods would be forced to flagrantly break.

However, since MMA and "NHB" fighting has developed into its own separate sport and entity, it would now be like comparing a burnt steak with a grapefruit...two completely different things...both are solid and leave a funny taste in your mouth, but thats about it.

Good eye opener, though. I didn't realize that there were as many rules as there are these days.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
NONE.

Many kung fu styles incorporate ground fighting. It's called Chin-na.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
NONE.

the UFC is not exclusive to ground fighting. just because alot of the matches end up there, doesn't mean that is all that it entails.

you didn't answer the question posed anyway. he didn't say anything about ground fighting.

JT is correct, the CMA have several ways of combating the grappler effectively. all chinese systems are not just about tai chi and wushu. look up chin na.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MardiGras Bandit said:
This thread is (part of) the reason I hate John McCain.

:D Yeah, I hear ya! I'll never understand why people, who have zero idea as to what the UFC is about (McCain) always have to throw in their .02! At least he didn't succeed in keeping it off the air for good.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nevada_MO_Guy said:
Hey All,

Below are the current rules for the UFC on what an Ultimate Fighter is trained not to do.

If you had to face off with a UFC fighter in the octagon; with him using the rules he knows and you using your school(s) style and training. (as best as you know it)

How many rules would you be able to break?

Fouls:
1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

Looking at that list, theres quite a few(more than half) rules I'd end up breaking.:)

Mike

MardiGras Bandit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Realistically, it doesn't matter which rules I broke. I'd end up KO'd or tapped either way (though I think I'd have better luck against a guy hunting subs then going for the knock out).

But since it's fun to speculate, the rules I'd break would be 20 and 23 (grabbing the shorts and the fence).

Which rule is the worst and which is the best? My opinion:

Worst: No holding shorts or gloves (It makes gaurd passing harder).

Best: No disregarding the ref.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I HAD to face someone in the octagon, whatever it may be, I would break evry last one of those rules if given an opportunity. Tough I`ve never practiced fishooking :EG:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I ever had to be in the Octagon the only ons i might not break are:

19 not sure Im strong nough to do so
25-31 just not my way of doing things so unless he broke them first I most likely would not

the odds of my being in the octagon are small my chances of winning might be even smaller

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it depends on the situation, doesn't it?

If we were in the octagon, I could break any of those rules, if the situation presented itself. But then, so could my opponent. And I imagine I'd get disqualified rather quickly, so it's not a very useful scenario, is it?

If we were on the street, again I could break any of them (except the ones pertaining specifically to octagon environments) but again, so could my opponent.

If this UFC opponent and I were to spar/fight, I imagine we would agree on a mutual set of rules and if either of us broke them, we would be disqualified.

I'm afraid I don't really understand the purpose of this thread.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Adept said:
If we were in the octagon, I could break any of those rules, if the situation presented itself. But then, so could my opponent. And I imagine I'd get disqualified rather quickly, so it's not a very useful scenario, is it?

In the initial post, I understood it as the UFC fighter was restricted to the UFC rules only and his opponent could do pretty much anything.

If we were on the street, again I could break any of them (except the ones pertaining specifically to octagon environments) but again, so could my opponent.

Agreed. I guess the argument of, 'you fight like you train' would come into play here. Personally, thats been discussed in other threads, so lets not hijack this one.:)

Mike

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

In the initial post, I understood it as the UFC fighter was restricted to the UFC rules only and his opponent could do pretty much anything.

I also thought the original point of the post was that what rules would you break because the your art or the way you train it involves techniques that are illegal. For example, I train for throat/trachea shots but I don't train for fishhooking. So while, if I was allowed to do anything in the octogon, I might try a fish-hook, in the spirit of the original question I would say that rule 11 is one I would break, based on my art/training style, but not rule 5

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's a fight, it's a fight...and to use a quote from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid":

"Rules? In a knife fight?"

I'd break every one of 'em. And then some.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most would break several of the rules. Does it mean they would win the fight No. It still boils down to who was able to get what they did to work torwards ending the fight. UFC or any sport fights has to have rules Or you fight just 1 fight and you may never fight agin. Rules protect you does not mean with out the rules the MMA fighters would not use other options.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... ALL of the people that make it to the UFC are professional fighters... they do this for a living, and by the fact that they got up through the lower leagues into the UFC, they are probably pretty good even among their professional colleages. Most likely, unless you are either exceptionally lucky or also a professional figher you won't have much of a chance to try to pull off much of anything before getting annihilated.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to go ona limb and guess that the original question was talking about the difference between the rule set for a sport fighting competition and how different arts approach different techniques for what to do when needed. Not 'How would you beat a UFC fighter if you could cheat' or even 'what techniques ould you use 'but rather 'how many techniques that are illegal by UFC rules are techniques that you train in'

I think it's a rather off-side way of bringing up the difference between "UFC as sport" versus "MA as sef-defense with no rules", but maybe I'm reading in too much