UFC vs Traditional MA Debate

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's why you do not give them the chance.

And that requires you to have a chance to attack them. Which also requires you to know that theyre a threat, or for you to be the antagonist.
Normally, people dont go, "hey, dude. im gonna beat you senseless. you can get your weapon out now."

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Huh? I never said anything about anyone capable of taking a beating of a bat to the back of the head.

I was talking about the same age, same size, same amount of training. Before these posts became polluted with lklawson's posts about rules, sociology, etc, I did write that it's the amount of training that make people's perception that an MMA fighter is better than other fighter. If the amount of training is equal, the ones training with no-rules will have the advantage. So both fighters have same physical shape.

The fighter that don't care about rules are very likely to bring weapons and launch a sneak attack.

Not training in the traditional (for a lack of better word) sense. If you've lived in a third world country as a teenager, you would've had many street fights. And in many third world countries, police don't spend that much time and resources to investigate murders, unless if it's a politician or a celebrity that's being murdered. In other words, people could and have died from those fights, while many murderers went unpunished by the law because of lack of police resources. I would consider fighting for survival in the street as training as well.

Everything's a rule to you then. Everything's a choice to me. I view my life this way.

The whole sneak attack thing is retarded since the original argument is about mma and traditional martial artists and a sneak attack is probably gonna have the same results regardless of which you train which was my point the bat to the back of the head.

Also if they are training the exact same way defeats the purpose of the argument. Not saying it shouldn't be and it isn't to some but physical conditioning most of the time isn't as big of a deal to tma and will not devote anywhere near as much time to that aspect.

Cyriacus: yes I ment it as a joke

RTKDCMB: there are ways to out run someone without being faster at straight distances(now either way I'm probably screwed anyway if someone like usain bolt is chasing me). The cheetah is faster than a gazelle if running straight but the fact that the gazelle decides where they run it can change direction without much trouble while the cheetah will have to adjust which means slowing down and agility in changing direction is something the gazelle has over the cheetah

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was talking about the same age, same size, same amount of training.… I did write that it's the amount of training that make people's perception that an MMA fighter is better than other fighter. If the amount of training is equal, the ones training with no-rules will have the advantage. So both fighters have same physical shape.
I don’t think it’s the amount of training per say (though I do think it plays some part), but rather the type of training. I believe people tend to think MMA practitioners are more suited to fighting because they are more well known for training under pressure. Many TMA don’t seem to offer much in the ways of pressure testing, but I think that has to do more with the market those schools aim for.
Personally I don’t think it matters what you train in as long as you have some sort of pressure testing. If your goal is combat applicability I think it’s important.
If a martial arts school claims to train with “no rules”they are lying. You don’t eye gouge your training partner or kick out his knee and injure him. You have to have some kind of control, so they do train with rules because to train with no rules would have injuries popping up constantly.
When they say that the mean they train for a fight with “no rules” they probably refer to a situation where their life is in danger. Even in life threatening situations there are still limitations on what someone will do whether it is because of legality or personal values.
Now I do believe you will fight like you train and if youare used to sport rules you may instinctively do what you are comfortable withand end up in a situation that is less than ideal if you are used tocompetitive fighting, but that is also very dependent on the person I think.

Latest Discussions