Twin Fist said it would happen...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be an Ultimate Fighter, send $19.95 plus shipping to Get sucker into a fight. Result gaurentee for the stupid.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than stacking fight cards, and requiring extra special rules for their fights?

Can you be specific please?

I know the state of martial arts at the time of the UFC and the rules were few, if anything the non-Gracie fighters probably requested more rules.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aren't you an IKCA Black Belt?
:)

I tease cause I'm starting to work through the ICKA material myself.

Given the subjective nature of belt rankings, I'm not really bothered by this.
I have doubts as to how well a person can learn solely from video without having a solid base from which to build but I can see a lot of value in this resource. If a person wants to earn rank this way then I'm pretty ambivilent about it. If they value the belt they earned, then cool. It doesn't diminish my, or anyone else's, black belts.

What I am curious about, though, is how well the site presents the material. Does it do a good job with the technical instruction? For those of you with a GJJ background, how does the material that they are showing compare with what you learned in the school that you trained? Would this be a good source for guys that want to pick up a bit on their ground game but don't really care about the rank?

Mark

Nope. I just studied their system for a while. My 'kenpo' black belt is in American Kenpo...from the Jay T. Will line.

...just to clarify. Because if Vic thought I were claiming a black belt in Chinese Kenpo he'd nut up for sure and I don't need that phone call! LOL

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, CHKD has a video test program and they do not guarantee belts either.

I'm sure CHKD standards are VERY high.

After all, they only bumped one of our ex-green belts (he quit because class was too hard) to 1st degree black belt via video testing.

If they were just a buy-a-belt program, I'm sure they would have made him a 5th or 6th dan.

I wouldn't worry about GJJ. I'm sure they will use the same high standards we have all come to expect from video-testing systems.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure CHKD standards are VERY high.

After all, they only bumped one of our ex-green belts (he quit because class was too hard) to 1st degree black belt via video testing.

If they were just a buy-a-belt program, I'm sure they would have made him a 5th or 6th dan.

I do not want to get into a CHKD debate (three or four at least already in the Hapkido section), but just to confirm:

So they do have video promotion?
They at least state that promotion is not guaranteed?

I wouldn't worry about GJJ. I'm sure they will use the same high standards we have all come to expect from video-testing systems.
This is really the biggest issue with video testing. To a great degree, the standards are lowered because they have to be. There are certain qualities that simply do not translate well in a video format. The curriculum is generally geared around the fact that promotions will be via video, so that will effect what is being taught.

Lastly, a video format is unlikely to press the testee with some of the warm-ups that I have seen described by MT people in their BB test and is unlikely to press them with a large number of repetetive drills (500 kicks, and such). The people watching the video and judging it want to see that you can execute the techniques well enough to pass a test. Without the high degree of physicality in an in person test, the video test is not the same animal. To a great extent, the format will have inherent weaknesses simply because of what it is, regardless of the intent of the organization.

Now, I have never video tested, so I am basing my above statements on what I have heard and common sense. If I am incorrect in this regarding my above statements about video testing in either the GJJ, IKCA, or CHKD, I would like to know.

Daniel

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
To clarify, I'm not knocking CHKD as a whole. Some members here have had great things to say about the system.

But I agree with what I think Mr. Sullivan is saying: Even a perfect martial art system is going to be watered down by video instruction and testing.

And I think anybody offering rank via video testing knows this.

I won't offer my opinion/speculation on why they would offer this as an option. I think we probably all know the answer.

Latest Discussions