Just in case...

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last class we did kicking drills (kicking the air not palchagui or kicking shield) using combos made of mid level kicks (peet chagui to the torso) + head kicks (dolyo chagui or an chagui or bakat chagui) to then proced to do light sparring (round robin) focusing in those kicking drills.

So yes, I teach kicking drills but not overstresing this or teaching the full schedule class in kicking drills. Finishing class teaching the importance of the low kicks and the stomps to shins/insteps and toes in self defense aplications and two or three presure points.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last class we did kicking drills (kicking the air not palchagui or kicking shield) using combos made of mid level kicks (peet chagui to the torso) + head kicks (dolyo chagui or an chagui or bakat chagui) to then proced to do light sparring (round robin) focusing in those kicking drills.

So yes, I teach kicking drills but not overstresing this or teaching the full schedule class in kicking drills. Finishing class teaching the importance of the low kicks and the stomps to shins/insteps and toes in self defense aplications and two or three presure points.

Manny
The mid and high level kicks are nice for developing flexibility and are a nice workout. They're also nice for students interested in competition. I like that you are teaching a well rounded kicking class, though for people who are interested in applications outside of just fitness and competition. :)

If you don't mind my asking, what rank do you hold? You seem to have a very well defined idea of what you want to be teaching and by reading your posts, you seem more than knowledgeable enough. Have you considered opening your own studio? Even if it is just a home studio with a small number of students in addition to your duties at your GM's dojang, you could probably do it.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The mid and high level kicks are nice for developing flexibility and are a nice workout. They're also nice for students interested in competition. I like that you are teaching a well rounded kicking class, though for people who are interested in applications outside of just fitness and competition. :)

If you don't mind my asking, what rank do you hold? You seem to have a very well defined idea of what you want to be teaching and by reading your posts, you seem more than knowledgeable enough. Have you considered opening your own studio? Even if it is just a home studio with a small number of students in addition to your duties at your GM's dojang, you could probably do it.

Second dan black belt, inside TKD since 1983 with a gap (from 1994-2006) of dont train to then returning dojang in 2007.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Second dan black belt, inside TKD since 1983 with a gap (from 1994-2006) of dont train to then returning dojang in 2007.

Manny
So you trained for eleven years, broke for twelve, then trained again for another six, making a total of seventeen years.

The reason that I ask is that you could probably teach a taekwondo class the way that you describe. You're certainly qualified and there are plenty of yidans out there teaching. If you did it as a study group or with your GM's blessing, or even as a distinct program within your GM's dojang, you would probably do very well.